PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Singletary Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy Smith isn't exactly the epitome of excellent player..

That being said, you're right about the players not respecting Singletary.

He was too busy yelling at overpaid man-children instead of having any sort of team leader to take that responsibility from him. Like I said, he wasn't a head coach - he should have stayed a linebacker coach.
Singletary said numerous times he's a "big picture guy" and not an "x's and o's" coach. He has zero ability to gameplan and no real strategic intelligence. He's good at yelling at getting the team motivated. That is, until the team realizes he cannot adequately prepare them for games. Then they stop listening to his rah-rah bull****.
Jim Harbaugh will be linked to every vacancy, as will Gruden, Dungy, Cowher, etc.
This off-season will be a giant coaching carousel.

I just want to add that the Bengals might have found what their problems were on offense. All year long, TOcho were not reading the same playbook as Palmer. They made Palmer look terrible. The two of them go out and look the Bengals are playing like who we thought they were. I would not be surprise if they beat the Ravens with the Ravens playing for the division.

This is very true when a team built an offense on a couple of players, to make them happy to play.. With TO and Ocho the defense know exactly who to cover on 3rd and long and Palmer usually forced it then end up with a pick. Just like how Brady forced to Randy and we all know how that goes.

I think most coaches in the NFL should take lesson from BB.

Last edited:
This could potentially be bad news for us.

The owner of San Fran says he is going to hire a GM.

Caserio is a guy that could follow in the footsteps of Dimitroff and San Fran might be a great location for him.

Hopefully San Fran will pick an experienced guy like Casserly, but given the success of Pioli and Dimitroff, I think we could lose Caserio this off season.

That is absolutely ridiculous. You don't beat the...

13-3 Cowboys (#1 Seed)
13-3 Packers (#2 Seed)
16-0 Patriots (Greatest team of all-time)

...without fantastic coaching. All three of those teams were vastly superior to the Giants and had more talent yet they beat them all. When a team with LESS talent beats three teams with superior talent, it's the coaching.

A team winning "in spite" of the coach happens when a talented team wins despite having a bad coach, eg: Chargers, Cowboys. A coach deserves all the credit in the world when he leads an inferior team to victory, especially in the fashion he did.

His 2007 run was the most impressive post-season run of all-time, period. Why? Because he topped it off with out coaching and defeating Bill Belichick in the biggest game of his career. It kills me, but he deserves his credit.

Guy also had the Jaguars in the AFC Championship game, one year after expansion, included with his 4 straight playoff seasons with them.

Coughlin is easily a better coach than "sexy names" such as Jeff Fisher and John Gruden.

All that being said though, Giants need a change as this is a collapse. Just like the Broncos and Bucs needed to get rid of Gruden and Shanny when they collapsed.

Yes, they did have great coaching, and it came from Spags, not Coughlin. Also, in terms of personnel they had a ferocious D-line, a very solid O-line that could protect the QB and a nasty running game, not exactly bad material to work with. They also had plenty of generous officiating helping them out in SB42.

As far as Singletary goes, the guy seems emotionally unstable, FAR too concerned with his ego then with being an effective coach, and in WAY over his head.

While this might be a personal quirk I cant stand people who parade their "faith" out for everyone to see, Singletary just has to wear his big cross out in plain view, kinda reminds me of Dungy. The mooning incident just reeks of immaturity, did he REALLY think that will inspire people? Did he think it might be a good idea to try being an assistant coach or a coordinator first?

BB was a coordinator for a LONG time before he became a HC, which he failed at, and then went back to being a DC under his old boss before taking another try at the HC job, that takes humility, which Singletary doesnt appear to have much of.

BB has also had the good sense to get rid of players that can't/won't buy into his system, even if their the face of the franchise like Bledsoe or a superstar like Randy Moss. What cancers did Singletary get rid of?

The guy simply doesnt know what he's doing and doesnt seem to have the maturity to be able to figure it out. We are beyond lucky to have a coach like BB, I doubt may realize just how lucky we are.

he is a terrible coach. has no sense of game management. i live in the bay area and his post game answers are always the same "i need to see the tape". generally has no clue what is a going on on the field. Good motivational speaker/bad coach.

I just want to add that the Bengals might have found what their problems were on offense. All year long, TOcho were not reading the same playbook as Palmer. They made Palmer look terrible. The two of them go out and look the Bengals are playing like who we thought they were. I would not be surprise if they beat the Ravens with the Ravens playing for the division.
I had that same thought when I saw Carson's halftime stats on nfl.com. Then he ended with 4 TDs and 0 INT. Brady does that every other week, but still...

> I'd go for Tom Coughlin (assuming he's done this year in NY).

I don't know much about coaches, but I'd never choose Coughlin. I hate his sideline demeanor; I think his whiny, blaming body language after every bad play creates a bad vibe for the team. What, did he see something before the play started he thinks his players missed? Instead of beaming in disapproving glances, get your guys focused on dealing with the situation the bad play created.

For all his talk about discipline, the Giants hurt themselves in pressure situations with ill-timed false starts, and, even worse in my opinion, way too many delay-of-game penalties. They can't get the frickin' play in and execute quickly enough??

Coughlin's one of the best coaches in the game. There's a reason that he's had success in both college and the NFL, and that he's had success at more than one stop in the NFL, and it's not pure luck.

As for coaching style, there were a lot of people around here who loved coaches that would call out players and give them dirty looks, back when a guy named Parcells was running the show. Now that BB is at the helm, those same people act as if Belichick's way is the only way.

Coughlin's one of the best coaches in the game. There's a reason that he's had success in both college and the NFL, and that he's had success at more than one stop in the NFL, and it's not pure luck.

As for coaching style, there were a lot of people around here who loved coaches that would call out players and give them dirty looks, back when a guy named Parcells was running the show. Now that BB is at the helm, those same people act as if Belichick's way is the only way.

I agree that Tom is one of the too few smart coaches, however I agree with Mo that Strahan rallied the locker room in '07 and especially that his style grates on a team. He's past his shelf date in NY. Many other NFL teams would benefit from him as HC. Yesterday's on field fiasco did not reflect well on him.

He did deserve to go, I mean come how can you not win the AFC West when all the teams suck, and then he decided to ***** at Troy on the sidelines PATHETIC

Pats senior football advisor Floyd Reese a candidate for San Fran GM job, per @JasonLaCanfora

A lot of talent in SF. They have great potential, all they need is a guy who knows what he's doing. I'm still not convinced if Alex Smith has the potential to be very successful QB though.

A lot of talent in SF. They have great potential, all they need is a guy who knows what he's doing. I'm still not convinced if Alex Smith has the potential to be very successful QB though.

Gotta wonder what Smith could be with good coaching though. The kid does have some talent.

Gotta wonder what Smith could be with good coaching though. The kid does have some talent.

I agree, but not a great fit with Frank Gore. Smith needs to spread it out while Gore would probably be best in a traditional set with the QB under center. It might be better for Smith to go somewhere else.

Then again, his head may be too scrambled from all the different coordinators and coaches over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes