PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Should the Super Bowl be moved to Saturday?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Wouldn't Super Bowl Saturday make more sense?

• Yes

Votes: 50 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 30 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heck no, gotta keep it on sunday nights. Just feels right on sunday's. Also, let's get the monday after as a holiday. Damn hangovers...

Ohh and when did we start classifying February 7 as "mid-February"? :confused:

The same way that I'm 36 but still in my "early-thirties".

Guys (and gals),

It will NEVER be on a Saturday night for one reason - TV RATINGS.

Here's why, saturday nights you'd have the chance for more people to get together and watch - more so than on sunday nights. You'd have more people out at bars and such and the league and the TV networks don't want that.

It's just like the NFL telling the Saints they can't have a super bowl viewing party at the Superdome as they have requested.

More TV sets will be tuned in across the country/world on a sunday than they will on a saturday night. The NFL loves the fact that each year the SB is the most watched program in television that year. It would still be on a saturday night but the 70-60 share's would not be as common and the NFL loves to boast those figures.

This would be a nightmare scenario for the restaurant industry. :eek:

This weekend may be a nightmare scenario for the restaurant industry. They are predicting a monstrous Nor'easter, "potentially paralyzing" according to Accuweather for the Mid-Atlantic, starting Friday night with it snowing until Sunday accumulation of a foot plus. If it is a monster storm, all those businesses that depend on people driving there or getting food delivered are up the creek. The local city bar or restaurant where people can walk to won't feel it but suburban locales will be hurt. They won't get it cleaned up by Sun kickoff and it has to hurt their bottom line.

Last edited:
Guys (and gals),

Here's why, saturday nights you'd have the chance for more people to get together and watch - more so than on sunday nights. You'd have more people out at bars and such and the league and the TV networks don't want that.

It's just like the NFL telling the Saints they can't have a super bowl viewing party at the Superdome as they have requested.

More TV sets will be tuned in across the country/world on a sunday than they will on a saturday night. The NFL loves the fact that each year the SB is the most watched program in television that year. It would still be on a saturday night but the 70-60 share's would not be as common and the NFL loves to boast those figures.
Exactly, 100% correct. You beat me to the punch. The goal is to have the game on the most TVs possible. The networks and advertisers would be most pleased if every person watched alone on his/her own television. More TVs tuned in equals higher ratings equals more revenue. Sunday night is the evening most people stay home and having the game on Sunday night in the dead of winter means even more people stay home.

The solution is much more simple than either 1.) Move game to Saturday or 2.) Create National Holiday Monday after Superbowl --------- 3.) Move game back one week - which would use an already existing Holiday - Presidents Day - as the Monday off. That way people get their Sunday night game and a day off the next day. The NFL has already pushed the date back close enough. They will add another week to the season eventually anyway....

2.) Create National Holiday Monday after Superbowl ---------

Effene,

I've always said when I become president my first order of business is to make the day after the Super Bowl a National Holiday. :)

Just don't know if I can run....or if I'm even allowed too!!! Skeletons suck!

I'll be watching it at the corner Irish bar here at 7 AM Monday morning. Luckily that's the time I normally start drinking anyway.

I'll be watching it at the corner Irish bar here at 7 AM Monday morning. Luckily that's the time I normally start drinking anyway.
Guinness, eggs and lo mein?

This weekend may be a nightmare scenario for the restaurant industry. They are predicting a monstrous Nor'easter, "potentially paralyzing" according to Accuweather for the Mid-Atlantic, starting Friday night with it snowing until Sunday accumulation of a foot plus. If it is a monster storm, all those businesses that depend on people driving there or getting food delivered are up the creek. The local city bar or restaurant where people can walk to won't feel it but suburban locales will be hurt. They won't get it cleaned up by Sun kickoff and it has to hurt their bottom line.
Im going snowboarding Friday @ shawnee in the Poconos so this is great for me haha

absolutely yes : for me in Europe it would be MUCH more better

I understand what people are thinking, have it sat, and veg on sunday... But some people do work on weekends as well... Im a traditonalist... Keep it on sunday... One of the few football traditions we have left..

Will never happen and for a reason....

Another day in the SB city means another day of revenue for the city who hosts it and more money for the league,take away one day and you take away 10s of millions in merchandise sales in that city.

Forget it,ain't happening...ever

yeah. once you said it, it's obvious. the nfl and host city must make most of their money on friday and saturday night events.

I understand what people are thinking, have it sat, and veg on sunday... But some people do work on weekends as well... Im a traditonalist... Keep it on sunday... One of the few football traditions we have left..

Thats why i voted for Sat.....i have to work sundays :mad:

It would be more of a party if they held it on Saturday night, so I voted yes!!

Guys (and gals),

That makes sense. I'd like to think that people would be just as willing to watch on a Saturday, but in the real world you're right. Part of the big lure and the $3 million price tag for a 30-second ad is because this is the one NFL game that even a lot of people who aren't otherwise interested in football will watch. If it's on Saturday, those people might be tempted to do something else.

I still think it's a good idea, but I see now why they won't. :snob:

Its a tradition of Super Bowl Sunday, not Super Bowl Saturday. Keep it the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots