PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Shawn Andrews is battling depression (or not?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
OK-this isn't a thread to take a swipe at people with chemical imbalances(b/c they're serious enough to suck the life out of anyone).

However-what's mysterious about this whole situation is that the Eagles are still going to subject Andrews to fines for the TC portion he missed. IOW-if Andrews were really diagnosed and getting treatment, wouldn't getting a signed document from his psychiatrist to get excused be pretty simple?

http://www.mercurynews.com/sabercats/ci_10095699

PHILADELPHIA—Philadelphia Eagles guard Shawn Andrews is battling depression and might arrive at training camp this week, the two-time Pro Bowl selection told a newspaper Monday.

In an exclusive interview with the Philadelphia Daily News from his Arkansas home, Andrews said his depression started a year ago and has worsened.

"I'm willing to admit that I've been going through a very bad time with depression," Andrews said in his first public comments about his training camp absence. "I've finally decided to get professional help. It's not something that blossomed up overnight. I'm on medication, trying to get better."

The Eagles did not immediately return a phone message seeking comment about Andrews' admission.

Andrews didn't detail the origins of his depression in comments posted on the newspaper's Web site.

"I really was kind of at my end," the right guard said. "I've really had a lot on my mind, really (been) contemplating a lot of things."

Andrews missed the final week of the Eagles' voluntary workouts in June for personal reasons and has been a no-show in the first weeks of training camp.

"In the state that I'm in, (had he reported), I would be at training camp physically, but mentally, I could have gotten myself hurt or gotten one of my teammates hurt," he was quoted as telling the newspaper.

Andrews said he is scheduled to see a doctor Thursday and could return to the team shortly after.

The fifth-year veteran also confirmed to the Daily News that he is being fined $15,000 per day by the team because his absence is not excused. He said his mental health is more important than football.

"Football is important, it's a means to an end, but my mental health, I feel like, is a lot more important," Andrews said. "That's a helluva lot of money ... Money's good, money's a necessity, but it's not everything. I can't put a price tag on my mental state."

Andrews said he hopes to speak to his teammates when he does rejoin the Eagles.

"I just want to look 'em in the eye and let 'em all know—this wasn't BS, this was for the mental health of me, I could have gone out there and gotten any one of you hurt" by not being focused," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing