PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Shane Olivea signs with the Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Shane Olivea signs with the Giants. I admit I don't know a lot about his off field issues, party animal disease it sounds like. On the field he was a very physical presence and played nasty. I thought he would have been a good addition as a backup / possible starter.

The Giants have one of the sharpest eyes for talent, both in the draft and free agency.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2902

"Giants agreed to terms with OL Shane Olivea, formerly of the Chargers.

Olivea, a 26-year-old with starting experience, had his four-game suspension rescinded and is now eligible to play in Week 1. If he doesn't show he's changed his life around, Olivea will be easy to part with. Olivea's upside could be as a swing tackle/guard behind Kareem McKenzie and Chris Snee."

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldnt want Olivea. He was a stopgap for the Chargers and a below average starter who lost his job. Im a big Buckeye fan, and it was a big shock that he ever became a starter, much less as a rookie, but when he went to SD the OL was a disaster area. He was only there until they could upgrade. The off the field issue are one thing if you can play but another if you are only marginally good enough to be on the field.

That's the first I've heard of Chris Snee being a swing player on the line. He's been at right guard since he came into the league, and even played offensive guard in college. IIRC its Diehl who's the swing guy, he's played everything but center.

Anyways, Olivea is certainly a better backup RT than Guy Whimper or whoever.

Huh? It says he could be a swing player behind McKenzie at T and Snee at G, i.e. backup both of those starters.

Shane Olivea is > either overmatched Russ Hochstein or Mr. Inactive Billy Yates or old, slow, fat Oliver Ross, and would have been a more than adequate backup/replacement for the injured Steven Neal and the undependable Nicky da Snitch.

The FO had a chance this off-season to correct some of the many mistakes it made during the 2004 draft, had it signed as FAs Mewelde Moore, DJ Hackett and Shane Olivea, none of whom were unaffordable and each of whom would have filled a position of need or of questionable depth; in fact, it could be argued that each of them signed contracts for what could be considered below market value.

Keeping Tom Brady upright and healthy should be Priority #1, esp. when one takes into account the transition from the Charlie Weis-brand of Dink and Dunk, takin' what you're given Offense to the Skippy-brand of 7-step drop, eyeballing Randy Moss so he can break meaningless records Offense. In order to accomplish Priority #1, the best and deepest OL must be assembled to protect The Franchise. As of right now, the right side of the OL is not built to accomplish Priority #1. Would Olivea have helped? Maybe, maybe not; we'll never know now, and that's too bad. Drafting Roy Schuening, instead of Matt Slater, to groom as Neal's eventual - or immediate - replacement could have helped, too.

The FO is playing with fire regarding the health of the most important person in the entire organization; if it does not remain diligent in its efforts, then we all burn .

Shane Olivea is > either overmatched Russ Hochstein or Mr. Inactive Billy Yates or old, slow, fat Oliver Ross, and would have been a more than adequate backup/replacement for the injured Steven Neal and the undependable Nicky da Snitch.

Yes, and you have such an eye for talent that you are a GM for an NFL team, right? OH WAIT. No, I forgot, you are the head scouting supervisor for a team... OH WAIT. You aren't that either.

Since you missed it, Hochstein was a starter on a SB O-line. Yes, he got over-matched against the Giants, but so did Light, Koppen and Mankins. If you'd actually watched the game, you'd have seen all 3 of them blow assignments during the game.

The FO had a chance this off-season to correct some of the many mistakes it made during the 2004 draft, had it signed as FAs Mewelde Moore, DJ Hackett and Shane Olivea, none of whom were unaffordable and each of whom would have filled a position of need or of questionable depth; in fact, it could be argued that each of them signed contracts for what could be considered below market value.

The many mistakes it made during the 2004 draft? Please show me a team that gets it right every year in the draft. OH you can't.

1) Hackett is injured more often than Bethel Johnson was. Why do you think the Seahawks didn't bother to try and re-sign him this year?

2) Yes, I'd have loved to seen Mewelde Moore here, but he'd have been behind Faulk and in Pittsburgh, he's their 3rd down back. Periord..,

3) Shane Olivea wasn't all that in San Diego.

I didn't realize that WR and 3rd down back were positions of need... Last I looked the Pats have a TON of talent at WR (Welker, Moss, Jackson, Washington, Aiken, Gaffney, C.J. Jones, Robert Ortiz, Ventrone and Slater). As for RB, there are only so many spots on the roster. Its highly unlikely that the Patriots were going to bring in Faulk's replacement and sit Faulk on the bench when he almost 2.5 million on the cap. And considering that he is still the best 3rd down back in the league, its unlikely the Pats would dump him just yet.

Keeping Tom Brady upright and healthy should be Priority #1, esp. when one takes into account the transition from the Charlie Weis-brand of Dink and Dunk, takin' what you're given Offense to the Skippy-brand of 7-step drop, eyeballing Randy Moss so he can break meaningless records Offense. In order to accomplish Priority #1, the best and deepest OL must be assembled to protect The Franchise. As of right now, the right side of the OL is not built to accomplish Priority #1. Would Olivea have helped? Maybe, maybe not; we'll never know now, and that's too bad. Drafting Roy Schuening, instead of Matt Slater, to groom as Neal's eventual - or immediate - replacement could have helped, too.

The FO is playing with fire regarding the health of the most important person in the entire organization; if it does not remain diligent in its efforts, then we all burn .

The Front Office isn't playing with fire regarding Brady's health. Its you blathering assumption that Olivea would have provided an upgrade over Kaczur. Yet you have no proof that Olivea could function in the Pats zone blocking scheme. Same with this idea of drafting Scheuning over Slater. You make the assumption that Scheuning would be able to work in the Pats zone blocking system and would develop into some great offensive lineman. Can you see an alernate reality that makes you believe this?

As for Slater, the Pats drafted him to replace Andrews. He's an extremely versatile player who was the best special teams player in this year's draft. Sorry that the Pats scouting department "sucks" compared to you and your great ability to see the future of alternate realities. I guess that they will just have to suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots