PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Shanahan to be named Redskins coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
The media has known this is the plan for a long time. But if they just wait it out it's BORING so the will speculate that a HC who is seen as the premier catch will land anywhere there is a vacancy. Ditto Chucky. And Shanny. Those guys aren't coming back for just the money because prestige, positioning, and in Cowher's case location matter. None of them wants anything to do with BB or Tuna. They wait for the prime shot. In Shanny's case his impatience may be his undoing although his ego will be stroked temporarily by the contract and control Snyder will bestow born of desperation. It will remain to be seen if it works out, because nothing short of dominating that division and conference will suffice for long or Snyder will be itching to dabble in the personnel dept.

Chucky and Cowher could still be lured back in if the right situations present themselves. If the Giants decide to end the Coughlin era, if Lovie gets axed and possibly his GM has to relinquish control to save his own job, if the Seahawks decide Mora Jr. was a mistake, if the Cowboys spit the bit, if Fisher or DelRio get the axe. Teams like Buffalo and Cleveland and Tampa are way down the list, which is why what Holmgren did is such a headscratcher. Although I think a big snag in the plans for a couple of franchises is the looming lockout and the thought of paying off old money and potential double digit new money for HC/GM's in what may be a football-less season. Snyder obviously didn't care. Lerner probably figured out throwing fiscal caution to the wind was his only shot at landing a name value leader. Other ownerships that are itching to change may be reluctant to invest in scratching their itch heading into the uncapped year and the uncertainty that follows.

Agreed: Neither New England nor Miami is big enough for the egos of a Belichick and a Parcells plus another top coach; it turned out that even New York wasn't big enough for Parcells as the Czar and BB as the "H.C. of the N.Y.J."

If I were a Redskins fan, I'd wish that Dan Snyder hadn't made all his money so fast and so young and still had a business to distract him from meddling in NFL personnel decisions. I mean, the guy got rich by knowing how to delegate authority to competent people who knew how to do their jobs better than he could; it's a damn shame that he forgot that when he took over the Redskins. He really doesn't seem like a bad guy and he sure as hell is smart; but, what he's done to that team reflects an incomprehensible level of incompetence at managing an NFL franchise in the Cap era.

Besides the monetary incentive, I think Holmgren is Old School and so is genuinely interested in returning a Browns franchise to its historical place among the NFL elite (even though this Sunday the Pats are playing the real Browns franchise, which is only called the Ravens because of Art Modell's "Get out of Jail Free" deal with the League and Cleveland.).

The media has known this is the plan for a long time. But if they just wait it out it's BORING so the will speculate that a HC who is seen as the premier catch will land anywhere there is a vacancy. Ditto Chucky. And Shanny. Those guys aren't coming back for just the money because prestige, positioning, and in Cowher's case location matter. None of them wants anything to do with BB or Tuna. They wait for the prime shot. In Shanny's case his impatience may be his undoing although his ego will be stroked temporarily by the contract and control Snyder will bestow born of desperation. It will remain to be seen if it works out, because nothing short of dominating that division and conference will suffice for long or Snyder will be itching to dabble in the personnel dept.

Chucky and Cowher could still be lured back in if the right situations present themselves. If the Giants decide to end the Coughlin era, if Lovie gets axed and possibly his GM has to relinquish control to save his own job, if the Seahawks decide Mora Jr. was a mistake, if the Cowboys spit the bit, if Fisher or DelRio get the axe. Teams like Buffalo and Cleveland and Tampa are way down the list, which is why what Holmgren did is such a headscratcher. Although I think a big snag in the plans for a couple of franchises is the looming lockout and the thought of paying off old money and potential double digit new money for HC/GM's in what may be a football-less season. Snyder obviously didn't care. Lerner probably figured out throwing fiscal caution to the wind was his only shot at landing a name value leader. Other ownerships that are itching to change may be reluctant to invest in scratching their itch heading into the uncapped year and the uncertainty that follows.

Good assessment. A few musings of my own:

* From what I've heard, ESPN has privately declared Gruden the next John Madden with a long-term sweetheart contract that might keep him off the sidelines. Tampa should've kept Gruden.

* Chicago should bite the bullet, pay off Lovie and hire Cowher. I've always thought Lovie Smith was a mediocre coach at best and that the Bears deserve much better. I'll bet Cowher would jump at the chance.

* What happens if Fox has a good season next year with Cowher supposedly waiting in the wings?

* Revenue sharing apparently hasn't done enough for some of the faltering small-market franchises mired in mediocrity -- Buffalo, Jacksonville, etc. I wonder if the league is getting concerned about these perpetual also-rans.

* I also wonder if we'll ever see the likes of Fassel, Mariucci, Billick, Marty Schottenheimer and Seifert (remember him?) return to coaching. I still don't understand why Mariucci was let go in Detroit.

* If Weis and Crennel take the coordinator posts in Kansas City, what does that do to Haley? Would he agree to it, or does that not matter to Pioli?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots