PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Shanahan to be named Redskins coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't hear the press conference. Did he say those years would be spent as a member of the Redskins?

Heh, he didn't exactly elaborate.

On a related note, this has been an awfully boring Black Monday. Jim Zorn and a few coordinators are the only casualties so far.

In related news:

Washington trades Chicago their next 21 first-round picks for Jay Cutler

Chicago trades Denver their next 8 third-round picks for Kyle Orton

Denver trades Washington Brandon Marshall for Mike Shanahan

Denver trades their next 86 first-round picks for Jay Cutler

Denver now has Mike Shanahan and Jay Cutler. Watch out, NFL. And Kyle Orton could be scary in Chicago.

They've allegedly been in talks since mid-season, but since the job only officially opened up today how do they square this with the Rooney rule? When a coach like Shanny is involved its obviously a big charade, and you can expect something similar if a team has their sites set on Cowher.

Would you want Jason Campbell as your quarterback? I sure as hell wouldn't.. crap o-line or not.

yeah really ... I'd trade them Hoyer for a 2nd ... Campbell sucks.

Huh? Snyder owns the team and signs his check.

All I can figure is Shanny lost a bundle in the stock market and wants a long term contract then to get fired quick and collect.

yeah, but Shanahan had a choice of checks with different signatures...

On a related note, this has been an awfully boring Black Monday. Jim Zorn and a few coordinators are the only casualties so far.

cheer up! Holmgren's meeting with Mangini tomorrow according to reports...

cheer up! Holmgren's meeting with Mangini tomorrow according to reports...

A walrus and a fat man with a lisp in the same room? Should be interesting.

I wonder if this means Cowher will take the Buffalo head coaching position. Hope not...

I wonder if this means Cowher will take the Buffalo head coaching position. Hope not...

According the Schefter, Cowher is unlikely to coach next season.

I don't think it would matter much if Cowher takes the Bills job. At least for a couple of years. He has nothing to work with there as far as I can tell.

According the Schefter, Cowher is unlikely to coach next season.

i thought the rumor was that Cowher is going to Carolina after Fox plays his contract out next year. cowher gets to stay close to home and Fox gets a Free Agent pass to another job.

i thought the rumor was that Cowher is going to Carolina after Fox plays his contract out next year. cowher gets to stay close to home and Fox gets a Free Agent pass to another job.

Possibly. There's a ton of rumors surrounding the guy. I just saw Schefter's report when I was at the gym earlier. No sound on the TV's, of course, so I can't really elaborate on the report.

They've allegedly been in talks since mid-season, but since the job only officially opened up today how do they square this with the Rooney rule? When a coach like Shanny is involved its obviously a big charade, and you can expect something similar if a team has their sites set on Cowher.

I heard that Snyder and his staff had already interviewed a couple of minority assistant coach types, and gotten the League Front Office blessing that that would satisfy the rule.

I think it's a stupid rule to start with. All it accomplishes is to keep faux-race problems in the news, stirring the pot. If you REALLY want to stop racism, just stop talking about it.

I heard that Snyder and his staff had already interviewed a couple of minority assistant coach types, and gotten the League Front Office blessing that that would satisfy the rule.

I think it's a stupid rule to start with. All it accomplishes is to keep faux-race problems in the news, stirring the pot. If you REALLY want to stop racism, just stop talking about it.
It was probably necessary at one point but its definitely run its course.

YES!!!!

What I've been waiting for....

That's not counting Al Davis lining up his next victim to coach the Raiders and any of the 24 remaining coordinators on the playoff teams, there is still time for more fun and games to come.

Last edited:

The media has known this is the plan for a long time. But if they just wait it out it's BORING so the will speculate that a HC who is seen as the premier catch will land anywhere there is a vacancy. Ditto Chucky. And Shanny. Those guys aren't coming back for just the money because prestige, positioning, and in Cowher's case location matter. None of them wants anything to do with BB or Tuna. They wait for the prime shot. In Shanny's case his impatience may be his undoing although his ego will be stroked temporarily by the contract and control Snyder will bestow born of desperation. It will remain to be seen if it works out, because nothing short of dominating that division and conference will suffice for long or Snyder will be itching to dabble in the personnel dept.

Chucky and Cowher could still be lured back in if the right situations present themselves. If the Giants decide to end the Coughlin era, if Lovie gets axed and possibly his GM has to relinquish control to save his own job, if the Seahawks decide Mora Jr. was a mistake, if the Cowboys spit the bit, if Fisher or DelRio get the axe. Teams like Buffalo and Cleveland and Tampa are way down the list, which is why what Holmgren did is such a headscratcher. Although I think a big snag in the plans for a couple of franchises is the looming lockout and the thought of paying off old money and potential double digit new money for HC/GM's in what may be a football-less season. Snyder obviously didn't care. Lerner probably figured out throwing fiscal caution to the wind was his only shot at landing a name value leader. Other ownerships that are itching to change may be reluctant to invest in scratching their itch heading into the uncapped year and the uncertainty that follows.

Not to mention the fact that Jim Caldwell, Tony Dungy, Lovie Smith and Mike Tomlin have done a pretty good job of showing that a team is d-u-m-b to ignore a coaching prospect on the basis of race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes