PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Seymour blows off team meeting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seymour will be very well compensated to play football next season. He'll likely have offers from the Broncos, Jets and others if the Raiders don't franchise him to keep him off the market. Also, if the Chiefs decide to move Dorsey because they decide that he won't work long-term in the 3-4, Seymour could also land there.

If there is no CBA and the Jets win this weekend, they will be out of the running for Seymour if there is a bidding war. They will be part of the top 8 rule and they will not lose a player who will equal the value of what it will take to sign Seymour. Granted the Pats may be in the same position although cutting Adalius Thomas might be enough.

If there is no CBA and the Jets win this weekend, they will be out of the running for Seymour if there is a bidding war. They will be part of the top 8 rule and they will not lose a player who will equal the value of what it will take to sign Seymour. Granted the Pats may be in the same position although cutting Adalius Thomas might be enough.

Unfortunately, the teams picking 25-28 each get to sign one "big ticket" free agent each in addition to the "lose one to sign one" rule. :(

Let me start by noting that I've never delved deeply into all the uncapped year stuff, so I may get some, or all, of this wrong. As a result, let me start by quoting Kirwan:

The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years.

There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club.

2010: An uncapped year odyssey

1.) I believe that cut players don't count.

2.) If the Jets end up in that top four and can't go after Seymour, there will still be other teams with interest.

Unfortunately, the teams picking 25-28 each get to sign one "big ticket" free agent each in addition to the "lose one to sign one" rule. :(

Forgot that big ticket exception. There are too many frackin' rules to the uncapped year. I still doubt we will ever have to know them in practice because I still think the NFLPA will cave because they have more to lose at this point.

Let me start by noting that I've never delved deeply into all the uncapped year stuff, so I may get some, or all, of this wrong. As a result, let me start by quoting Kirwan:

2010: An uncapped year odyssey

1.) I believe that cut players don't count.

2.) If the Jets end up in that top four and can't go after Seymour, there will still be other teams with interest.

I forgot about the exception for one high priced free agent. I think cut players are eligible for the lose one, add one rule since they are unrestricted free agents after being cut. I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes