PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sean Taylor shot, "clinging to life" [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Sean Taylor Shot per CNN

it might not have a been "simple robbery" because there are reports this is the 3rd time his house was targeted..1 which neighbor called cops and another 1 early this week wether he was in house or not

The guy was AT HOME, with his girlfriend and his newborn, and you guys are accusing him of living a 'gansta life". PLEASEEEEEE

Someone broke into his house, it happens all the time, and it has nothing to do with him, or how he lives, here's something novel, why don't we blame the criminal who broke into his house and shot him, instead of Taylor.

I know nothing about this story, but neither do you. it's pretty dumb to be so sure of anything at this point.

for all you know Sean Taylor could have wronged this guy in a big way. or Taylor could be 100% innocent.

at this point, nobody knows.

I know nothing about this story, but neither do you. it's pretty dumb to be so sure of anything at this point.

for all you know Sean Taylor could have wronged this guy in a big way. or Taylor could be 100% innocent.

Apparently, a week ago someone rifled through his drawers and left a knife next to his bed. Doesn't sound like armed robbery to me.

Newest update from WP:

"Richard Sharpstein, who has represented Sean Taylor in legal matters in the past and is a friend of the family, said moments ago that the player's life is hanging in the balance in the hospital. Sharpstein, speaking from the hospital, said Taylor is "nonresponsive and unconscious" and the doctors are "worried about a possible brain injury or death."

Sharpstein, who has been with Taylor's family at the hospital much of the day, said that there are major worries that Taylor may have lost oxygen to the brain, and that no other procedures are planned for right now. "They're waiting to see if he comes to," Sharpstein said. He was shot in the groin/thigh area near the femoral artery and lost copious amounts of blood. He was airlifted to the trauma center and endured several hours of surgery, Sharpstein said.

Taylor is in intensive care, Sharpstein said, and his girlfriend and child were not injured in the attack. Sharpstein said Taylor was sleeping when he heard a noise in the living room. The intruders were at his bedroom and Taylor reached for a machete or other form of knife he keeps nearby in case of emergency, and two shots were fired, with one striking his leg.

"Right now he's clinging to life and we're all praying he makes it," Sharpstein said."

his lawyer said he was in his bedroom , heard noise and went out and got shot at twice, 1 hit

he did get away from his previous friends so it could be jealousy or could be revenge for few years ago

his lawyer said he was in his bedroom , heard noise and went out and got shot at twice, 1 hit

he did get away from his previous friends so it could be jealousy or could be revenge for few years ago

look, it's inappropriate to be arguing about right now, the guy is seriously injured, and that is tragic, and I hope he is ok.

but what his lawyer said hardly constitues the whole story

look, it's inappropriate to be arguing about right now, the guy is seriously injured, and that is tragic, and I hope he is ok.

but what his lawyer said hardly constitues the whole story

regardless..him being at home and someone coming in? Thats a robbery/murder attempt

3rd time recently someones tried to break in..this time he was in the house for the first time

if thats hardly the story, dont make assumptions then. just pray and hope he gets out alright to raise his kids and family..forget Football @ this point

Last edited:

From the Extremeskins.com thread, a guy who claims to be a doctor gives his two cents on the possibilities of the injury (he sounds like he knows his stuff)

"I am a doctor (for real). I have some experience in trauma.

The femoral arter is one of the major branches off of the descending aorta. It travels in close proximity in the groin to both the femoral vein, and the femoral nerve (which innervates, through various branches, most of the lower leg and thigh). I would estimate it carries 60+% of the oxygenated blood to the lower extemity.

If perfusion is cut off for a prolonged period of time, the tissue dependant on it for its oxygen and nutrients will start to die. Brain tissue in as little as 3 minutes, muscle in several hours. Neuronal tissue doesn't have the same amount of reserve for anaerobic respiration that say muscle has..

That is the concern. IF he lost enough blood to compromise the perfusion to his brain, he will suffer unpredictable brain damage. Hopefully it isn't severe or widespread. As for his leg, if they reestablished flow before death of large amounts of tissue, with rehab he could be able to regain function. (there is an entity called reperfusion injury, but I won't go into that here) Some nerve function could also come back, because outside of the central nervous system, nerves are able to regenerate.

As for his career, its hard to say with what little we are hearing. I have to say it doesn't look good. Of course, with God all things are possible. I have personally seen someone with a GSW to the brain which stroked out a large portion, whom we expected to die on the OR table, leave the hospital to rehab, able to talk."

Also, Comcast is reporting that Taylor picked up a machete when he heard noise in the house before going to investigate.

The (unconfirmed?) reports that the meds induced coma would be consistant with probable brain related concerns.

Then again, cases exist where the meds induce coma's as a way of shutting a patients system down during severe trauma. Severe hemorrhaging stemming from a severed femoral artery would be one such trauma case I would think.

regardless..him being at home and someone coming in? Thats a robbery/murder attempt

3rd time recently someones tried to break in..this time he was in the house for the first time

Last week, his house was entered and someone left a knife on his pillow. Sounds like an ominous message to me. Probably the reason he had a machete under his bed (he's on probation, remember, and so can't carry a firearm).

Last edited:

Yeah, the only artery worse to severe than the femoral is the aorta in the heart.

I feel bad for Taylor as it appears he was just at home and this gunshot came from some form of a break in. It would be a shame if this effects his ability to play football, but his just recovering is all that's actually important right now.

This all kind of reminds you of Brandon's roommate getting shot during an attempted robbery, and Brandon's having to return fire. I guess maybe now people will start to realize just how dangerous it can be for athletes in that area...

Concerning human arteries: The Brachial artery is a very bad one too, as 30 liters of blood pump through it per minute.

Last edited:
Sean Taylor

Just saw this on CNN and didn't see a post, but Sean Taylor of the Redskins was shot and in serious condition. Seems that the bullet severed his femorial artery and he lost a lot of blood and possibly may have some brain damage.

bump bump,,........

please God, save this young man's life and health

From what I've heard the surgery took 6 hours......

Okay, so what can we do to show our support to his family, friends, and fans?

Lets hope that the Miami/Dade PD catches the SOB who did this.

The fact that Taylor's house had been broken into twice in recent weeks with nothing done isn't a good sign... Now, if he survives, he could never play football again..

My thoughts and prayers are with him..

Some good news
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Posted at 6:49 PM ET, 11/26/2007
A REALLY REALLY POSITVIVE SIGN

Les Carpenter, who is working the story for us in Miami, heard rumblings that Sean may have opened his eyes.

I have not been able to get that confirmed but just heard from a team offical that Sean is now responsive, which is obviously a turn for the best. I will continue working away to get more details, but this is obviously a turn for the better after Sean spent much of the day in a "non-responsive and unconscious" state.

As the person put it: "Finally, the first good news all day." Let's hope it's the first of more to come.

UPDATE: Vinny Cerrato just called us with confirmation.

"He was responsive to the doctor's requests to squeeze his hands and showed facial expressions. The doctors were very happy about that," Cerrato said " ... Two doctors came and told us they were excited about that."

Cerrato also confirmed my earlier reports about Sean being "non-responsive and unconscious."
Cerrato said: "We'd heard all that and what they told us was to hope foir a miracle."

Good sign. Adam Schefter reported on NFLN that Taylor flatlined twice during the surgery, by the way. Hopefully Taylor can make it out of this and enjoy life with his fiancee and daughter.

I am so thrilled things are looking better for Sean. He is a strong young man so here's hoping he continues to make people believe in miracles.

9am pacific/ 12pm est

ESPN announces Sean Taylor has died of his gunshot wound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back