PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Sean Taylor shot, "clinging to life" [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Sean Taylor Shot per CNN

Come on, Sean, everyone is pulling for you.

Last edited:

First of all, I wish the best for his recovery and hope they find the shooter.

These kinda things put life in perspective, especial for a sports fan like myself. On the field, they are football players that we watch, route for or route against, but it is just as much there job as the ones we wake up and go to every morning or every day. We might not get paid as much, but we all don't take a beating every day and there are probably about a million other people that could do what we do or we would make more money. Now I wouldn't and didn't support the "I need to feed my children" line by Ty Law, but I do understand that players have families and a long career is not guaranteed.

2007 has seen a great deal of tragedy hit NFL teams such as the Broncos, the Patriots and the Bills. While I hope to see such event cease, I know that it is unrealistic. So I wish a safe year for everyone; player and fan alike.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/?hpid=topnews

Washington Post reports that Taylor is still in surgery as of 12:25 PM EST, and remains in critical condition.

PFT reported that this article said that he was "stabilizing," but I can't find that reference anywhere.

Last edited:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/?hpid=topnews

Washington Post reports that Taylor is still in surgery as of 12:25 PM EST, and remains in critical condition.

PFT reported that this article said that he was "stabilizing," but I can't find that reference anywhere.

The Extremeskins board has a thread devoted just to news updates, and unfortunately nothing encouraging has been reported to this point.

On the the Redskin thread, they're saying that the attack was not a botched burglary but a deliberate attack.

Hope Sean pulls through and makes a full recovery.

Taylor is in a coma according to Chris Cooley; whether the coma is medically-induced or a result of trauma is not known. There are reports of possible brain damage, and massive blood loss, though there are also reports that he is stabilizing.

A sad day, made even worse if it was a deliberate attack. I would speculate on why, but I don't think that's even remotely appropriate right now.

Thoughts and prayers out to this young man.

well the main concern is that Sean lives...

while everyone is speculating.....
it could have possibly been a robbery and Sean (being the hardass that he is) did something about it and was shot in the leg.

The leg isn't really a place you shoot someone to deliberately hurt them. maybe they were just trying to slow him down so they could leave.

either way it sucks.

while everyone is speculating.....
it could have possibly been a robbery and Sean (being the hardass that he is) did something about it and was shot in the leg.

He was shot in the groin, which severed the main artery to one of his legs; the worst place to suffer a tear besides the aorta. The latest reports say it was not a robbery as first assumed, but rather a deliberate attack on Taylor.

The Miami Herald is reporting that Taylor emerged from surgery and is likely to live, according to his lawyer. His family has been allowed into ICU to see him, but he remains unconscious. No mention of any other side effects, though with massive trauma and blood loss, extreme nerve and tissue damage is a possibility, meaning anything up to and including amputation could be an option; brain damage is likely, as well, as indicated by his lack of consciousness.

An incredibly unfortunate event... all prayers to Taylor and his family.

Last edited:

He was shot in the groin, which severed the main artery to one of his legs; the worst place to suffer a tear besides the aorta. The latest reports say it was not a robbery as first assumed, but rather a deliberate attack on Taylor.

Uh-oh. Has he been known to participate in gangsta culture?

cmon Sean. get through it man.

hes been my favorite D player since Miami..hes a monster and hes matured so much over the years. this is just terrible news..prayers out to my man Sean Taylor. Lets go big guy..hang in there

and for someone who asked

hes currently rehabbing and the team just got back from a trip to Tampa..so maybe he was down there with family while being out of the game

Last edited:

He had a reputation for being a thug at Miami (who doesn't?) and during his first year in the pros, the most notable incident being a bizarre episode with a gun and possible stealing of ATVs for which he was arrested. I believe it took place after his first year with the Redskins, in Miami. If it was a retaliatory attack, it's possible that it was for that incident. It's also possible that it was a robbery, or that it was simply a psychopath.

Since then, Taylor has matured into a model citizen, a change attributed to the birth of his daughter. Which makes this even more unfortunate, as his maturation was a good story, compared to guys like Pacman Jones.

Last edited:

He and his friends attacked some guys that supposedly stole some ATV's from his house. He supposedly brandished a firearm and threatened the guys with it.

Whether this qualifies to you as the "gangsta culture", I don't know, but he doesn't hang out with Tony Dungy in his spare time, let's put it that way.

Well let's just hope he lives through this. It doesn't sound good.

The guy was AT HOME, with his girlfriend and his newborn, and you guys are accusing him of living a 'gansta life". PLEASEEEEEE

Someone broke into his house, it happens all the time, and it has nothing to do with him, or how he lives, here's something novel, why don't we blame the criminal who broke into his house and shot him, instead of Taylor.

The guy was AT HOME, with his girlfriend and his newborn, and you guys are accusing him of living a 'gansta life". PLEASEEEEEE

Someone broke into his house, it happens all the time, and it has nothing to do with him, or how he lives, here's something novel, why don't we blame the criminal who broke into his house and shot him, instead of Taylor.

No one's blaming Taylor. But several sources have indicated that it wasn't simple armed robbery, including that Miami Herald article I just posted. And Taylor wasn't always the model citizen he is today. It isn't like we're accusing him of being shot while participating in a drive-by, though.

The "gansta life" question was absurd, but there are things that certain people do that put themselves in danger. There are indications that Taylor may have been that type of person. This in no way implicates him in the crime, however, and of course the criminal should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I would bet a large sum of money, however, that he will never be caught. Miami cops only pull out all the stops when one of their own gets killed. If you kill a cop in Miami, you'll be in custody within 45 minutes. Anybody else, it will become a cold case. See Pata, Bryan.

From the Extremeskins.com thread, a guy who claims to be a doctor gives his two cents on the possibilities of the injury (he sounds like he knows his stuff)

"I am a doctor (for real). I have some experience in trauma.

The femoral arter is one of the major branches off of the descending aorta. It travels in close proximity in the groin to both the femoral vein, and the femoral nerve (which innervates, through various branches, most of the lower leg and thigh). I would estimate it carries 60+% of the oxygenated blood to the lower extemity.

If perfusion is cut off for a prolonged period of time, the tissue dependant on it for its oxygen and nutrients will start to die. Brain tissue in as little as 3 minutes, muscle in several hours. Neuronal tissue doesn't have the same amount of reserve for anaerobic respiration that say muscle has..

That is the concern. IF he lost enough blood to compromise the perfusion to his brain, he will suffer unpredictable brain damage. Hopefully it isn't severe or widespread. As for his leg, if they reestablished flow before death of large amounts of tissue, with rehab he could be able to regain function. (there is an entity called reperfusion injury, but I won't go into that here) Some nerve function could also come back, because outside of the central nervous system, nerves are able to regenerate.

As for his career, its hard to say with what little we are hearing. I have to say it doesn't look good. Of course, with God all things are possible. I have personally seen someone with a GSW to the brain which stroked out a large portion, whom we expected to die on the OR table, leave the hospital to rehab, able to talk."

Also, Comcast is reporting that Taylor picked up a machete when he heard noise in the house before going to investigate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing