PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Seahawks fire Jim Mora, set sights on Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ownsership probably sees Trojan as safe HC choice

I wonder how long it takes for Mora to surface in Cleveland?

Re: Pete Carroll Returning?

Mora had one season as overseer of the M*A*S*H unit that was Seattle. Carroll's failed at multiple stops in the NFL and is in trouble at the college level because he can't seem to control his team enough for it to follow the rules. Firing Mora so that the incoming front office man has a clean slate was something I could understand, even if I questioned the wisdom of doing it. Firing Mora, hiring Carroll, and then bringing in the new top dog is just bad management.
I'd reckon quite a few programs would kill to have the success that Carroll has had whilst at USC.

Some people really do find it hard to give praise to the good job some coaches do, even if their Patriot tenure wasn't as successful as many had hoped.

Why would Carroll leave USC where he is pretty much legendary status for another chance to fail in the NFL and knock his approval rating down again.

The NCAA sanctions rumored to be coming down on USC will neuter that program for years to come. If Carroll gets the right offer, with personnel control and a good owner, then he'd be crazy not to take another shot at the NFL. Seattle has 2 1st rounders this year btw.

I realize he was mediocre at this level a decade ago, but I'm stunned you guys by and large don't think he could have learned anything or improved since then. He's had a lot of success at USC and that wasn't an accident.

I've always had a soft-spot for Pete, so I wish him the best!

Last edited:
Ownsership probably sees Trojan as safe HC choice

Good call.

No matter the controversy going down in USC, Carroll would be dumb to leave. USC is a perennial championship contender, even if they haven't won one in a little while. On top of that, he's in the backyard of a recruiting hotbed that would ensure that his team is competitive for a long time (and also that his job is secure for a long time). Carroll is just not a good NFL head coach, and I highly doubt that he'll be an effective personnel man at the NFL level as well.

Good call.

No matter the controversy going down in USC, Carroll would be dumb to leave. USC is a perennial championship contender, even if they haven't won one in a little while. On top of that, he's in the backyard of a recruiting hotbed that would ensure that his team is competitive for a long time (and also that his job is secure for a long time). Carroll is just not a good NFL head coach, and I highly doubt that he'll be an effective personnel man at the NFL level as well.

Bob Kraft differs with your opinion. In fact he has said on several occasions when the question arose that he felt the culture of entitlement here would have made it impossible for most any HC to succeed and he believed Carroll would have succeeded had the environment not been so bad. That's why BB was allowed to clean house which eventually even included Drew.

I think it's tough to compare any coach with the guy who succeeded Pete here once the fans saw the difference. Which of course makes it obvious how foolish it is to nitpick and criticize that guy, but that doesn't stop it...It's also silly to diss Pete as a potential NFL HC given the competency level of half the HC's in the NFL in any given season...

Pete was always rumored to have a Pat Kirwin lined up to be his GM/personnel guy whenever he did decide to move back to the NFL.

I'd reckon quite a few programs would kill to have the success that Carroll has had whilst at USC.

Some people really do find it hard to give praise to the good job some coaches do, even if their Patriot tenure wasn't as successful as many had hoped.

Indeed, some probably do. I'm not one of them. Carroll was lousy at the NFL level, but he's been excellent at the college level. The available job, however, is at the NFL level and is apparently being offered before the team has a GM in place. You'd expect teams would learn from such things as the Kokinis disaster in Cleveland. My problem isn't with the hire as much as it's with all of the surrounding actions/inactions.

Last edited:
Was "The Peter Principle" named after Carroll? Seems like it should have been.

Indeed, some probably do. I'm not one of them. Carroll was lousy at the NFL level, but he's been excellent at the college level. The available job, however, is at the NFL level and is apparently being offered before the team has a GM in place. You'd expect teams would learn from such things as the Kokinis disaster in Cleveland. My problem isn't with the hire as much as it's with all of the surrounding actions/inactions.
True, but past modus operandi doesn't necessarily translate to today. I'm absolutely positive there's a difference in Carroll's football acumen between his last NFL head coaching role to the present.

As you've correctly pointed out, appointing him in a complimentary GM role (if he wants it) would be interesting as NFL recruiting is not the same as college recruiting. The business operations of a GM compared to that of a coach are an entirely different proposition all together. I guess that comes down to what his responsibilities were at USC and how comfortable and competent he would be in those dealings in the NFL.

Last edited:
Didn't give the guy much of a chance did they?
Only one season, which doesn't seem enough for a guy to get his system in place. He was 5-11, I think, same as BB his first Patriot year.

Not comparing Mora to BB in coaching ability, only the idea of firing a 5-11 coach based on his first year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back