PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Schefter and Green go at it about the strategy at end of KC Denver game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

I am absolutely on Schefty's side on this one. No way Denver loses that game if Fowler downed himself short of the endzone. They'd be leaving Alex Smith with maybe 30 seconds left down by four points if they went on to kick the chip shot FG.

Andy Reid managing that kind of situation? Hah. Probably would run a couple draw plays.

As for Green, he's an even bigger narrow minded moron than I thought he was. :cool:

Not to highjack the thread but it is somewhat similar. On Blount's last run I was rooting for him to score for my highlight reel but the reality is that the Pats were better off without him scoring.

From a win probability the 99.9% chance of victory with the kneeldowns was better than the 95% chance of preventing the Jets them from getting two scores with an onside kick in between.

Something tells me Blount would have scored if he could though. Too tempting to resist.

Not to highjack the thread but it is somewhat similar. On Blount's last run I was rooting for him to score for my highlight reel but the reality is that the Pats were better off without him scoring.

From a win probability the 99.9% chance of victory with the kneeldowns was better than the 95% chance of preventing the Jets them from getting two scores with an onside kick in between.

Something tells me Blount would have scored if he could though. Too tempting to resist.

I think it's tough to turn those instincts off mid run sometimes. It's almost like when a DB intercepts a pass on 4th down deep down the field. Probably more beneficial for field position to just bat it down, but when you're making your break on a ball in the air I bet the adrenaline just takes over for most guys.

Denvers defense could have just gotten a stop. Other than a spring football game, Draymond, like Schefter has only beem around the game in a spectators capacity so his argument holds no water. This aint basketball Draymond

It would have made the game 28-17 and w/ PAT 29-17. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything negative with being up by 11 or 12 with 1 1/2 minutes to go.

I am absolutely on Schefty's side on this one. No way Denver loses that game if Fowler downed himself short of the endzone. They'd be leaving Alex Smith with maybe 30 seconds left down by four points if they went on to kick the chip shot FG.

Andy Reid managing that kind of situation? Hah. Probably would run a couple draw plays.

As for Green, he's an even bigger narrow minded moron than I thought he was. :cool:

Love stuff like this. Green, talk to me about a play after you actually play the game. You have as much NFL cred as Schefter. The question for Green - if the Warriors are up 1 with the ball and 15 seconds to go, and the opponent clears the lane (instead of immediately fouling) - do you take it to the hoop, or do you keep dribbling the ball to run the clock out? This is the NFL's equivalent of that which every NFL skill-position player should know.

I live in the Bay Area and enjoy watching the Warriors since they are so entertaining, but Draymond Green is quickly becoming an annoying pest who should shut up, much like Charles Barkley.

so according to green, people who havent played should not comment at all on the game. great.

I think it's tough to turn those instincts off mid run sometimes. It's almost like when a DB intercepts a pass on 4th down deep down the field. Probably more beneficial for field position to just bat it down, but when you're making your break on a ball in the air I bet the adrenaline just takes over for most guys.

And sometimes I'm very happy that is the case....

v1flgwp7mmvlrugrqugy.jpg

It would have made the game 28-17 and w/ PAT 29-17. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything negative with being up by 11 or 12 with 1 1/2 minutes to go.

I estimate the Pats chances of victory of at least 95% either way but the 'negative' to him scoring is that it actually would lower than chance of victory (ever so slightly).

After all, how many times have you seen a team get a score, recover an onside kick, and get another score?

not often, right, but you HAVE seen it happen.

How many times have you seen a team botch a kneel down? Far LESS frequently right?

That's the point. Both options are pretty darn good, it just happens to be slightly more beneficial for Blount to NOT score on that play.

Oh I agree that it must be tough to turn off those instincts mid run even if it's something that was discussed before the play (not saying that happened here).

Either way, you would also agree that it was actually better for the Pats that he did NOT score on that play, right?

After all, when he didn't score the game was immediately over. If he did score we'd still have to wait out a Jets possession and possible onside kick attempt.

Awesome, I hope every single player calls out media scumbags...media, all media, including sports, political, is the epitome of slime and scum

I estimate the Pats chances of victory of at least 95% either way but the 'negative' to him scoring is that it actually would lower than chance of victory (ever so slightly).

After all, how many times have you seen a team get a score, recover an onside kick, and get another score?

not often, right, but you HAVE seen it happen.

How many times have you seen a team botch a kneel down? Far LESS frequently right?

That's the point. Both options are pretty darn good, it just happens to be slightly more beneficial for Blount to NOT score on that play.

Considering yesterday's scenario in which the NYJ were out of TOs, you never want to give the ball back to your opponent so keeping the ball makes total sense. I follow the logic.

Does Draymond Green's status as a pro basketball player somehow make him an expert on NFL strategy?

Heck, even some NFL players have shown they don't understand basic strategy and rules. More than 1 of them have admitted not even knowing games can end in ties.

That was a real kick in the nuts by Green.

I thought this was going to be AJ Green. Who does Draymond Green think he is?

Schefter is annoying, but he's just pointing out something worth pondering. He's not ragging on Norwood or anything.

Green is a mouthbreather and wrong on this one

Draymond Green is such a douche bag. He's single handedly made me dislike the Warriors.

Draymond Green is such a douche bag. He's single handedly made me dislike the Warriors.

He single-handily cost them the 2016 NBA Championship.

If he were a Celtic and pulled that crap the fans would run him out of town.

Love stuff like this. Green, talk to me about a play after you actually play the game. You have as much NFL cred as Schefter. The question for Green - if the Warriors are up 1 with the ball and 15 seconds to go, and the opponent clears the lane (instead of immediately fouling) - do you take it to the hoop, or do you keep dribbling the ball to run the clock out? This is the NFL's equivalent of that which every NFL skill-position player should know.

Whilst true, Schefter has no elevation of credibility just because he operates a you tell me this, I'll say that for you racket. Schefter is and always will be a fan and as far as I'm concerned, a company man, a pawn to be used whenever his masters feel like calling. As for Green, I understand the competitive mind so he's not necessarily wrong but he isn't implicitly right either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back