PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Say goodbye to Pats talk for the next couple weeks

When you're annoyed by something, it's a fact you're annoyed. Right? The OP and others here including yours truly are on the record about that.

You, personally, being annoyed may be factual. Calling most of the observations logical is an opinion, as is the claim "the fact that MLB talk is a soap opera-like annoyance on local radio in the midst of football season. ".

My most hated baseball teams:

1. New York Yankees
2. Boston Red Sox

1. The MFYs

2. Tony LaRussa's unindicted co-conspirator STeroid enabLing Cardinals

3. The Marlins & Rays, because they don't deserve to even exist

This is their opportunity to hire Billy Beane...:D

...and he'd be a damn sight better than The Boy Blunder of Brookline who, along with ownership, has lost his eyes on the prize. He fell into the same trap of quick-fixes & star-worship into which Duquette fell. "Player-development machine" my *****.

Interesting postmortem in the Globe today: Boston Red Sox - Red Sox unity, dedication dissolved during epic late-season collapse - The Boston Globe

Thin sourcing, but sure doesn't paint Lester, Beckett, and Lackey in a good light.

Wow, that story opened my eyes. The Red Sox need to clean house. If there are any disgruntled employees, send em packing! This club needs a huge makeover. Such a striking contrast between the Sox and the Pats. the Sox had all the talent but also too many prima donnas and individualists who didn't put the team first. Tito had a great run but he was too much of a 'players manager' and could not instill discipline when they needed it most. I am so glad the Patriots have BB, Kraft, and Brady. I could never see that kind of collapse happening to the Pats just because of the type of people they have in place now.

Last edited:
As I'm the last mod on the thread I won't move it to the Red Sox forum as I normally would.

Yes sports talk radio is just loving this, they will beat this dead horse over,over and over again. Red Sox nation should have their own Wailing Wall outside Fenway and sing Sweet Caroline as they are wailing.

I've never watched an episode of Desparate Houswives but I imagine it would be the same as listening/watching to WEEI go on and on and on about these prima donna's.
Other than that, I have no opinion.:cool:

Shouldn't this thread be under PS or "other sports" forums?

Last edited:
Soap opera drama is the lifesblood of sports talk radio and nowhere is that more evident than Boston or NY.... That's part of the reason that despite consistently winning the NEP bore the snot out of mediots... Unhappy callers are their true core demographic.

You oughta hear the wailing & gnashing of teeth the past fortnight on WIP in Philly.
I think it's more a cold-weather big-city phenomenon that strictly a Boston-Sewer York one.

Every time I see an anti-Sox thread here I ask myself: Why do many NFL fans have such an inferiority complex that they feel the need to dump on MLB?

It's not just here, Florio does the same when he posts his giddy ratings reports about football beating baseball.

This isn't news. Football is more TV-friendly, and more accepted by an increasingly short-attention-span populace. The shift happened a long time ago. Times change. Who cares, if you're a baseball fan?

Yep, the first thing I always ask myself when deciding what sports to watch is: what's the business model? :rolleyes:

Some day in the future, when Kraft no longer owns the Pats and someone much less savvy than Belichick runs them, will you change your allegiance to another team? Or to another sport?

No, I would hope not. For most, once a fan always a fan to at least a degree. Which is why many people still love MLB. And want to listen to news and talk about it.

MLB is losing the attention of the masses and the NFL is gaining.

That's a fact.

The people who run MLB are not as sanguine about that fact as you are.

The NFL has clearly outperformed MLB in being true to a competitive playing field.

It is what it is.

Tennis died after it's heyday in the 70's and 80's. MLB is merely doing the same thing on a larger scale.

History is a pendulum, however. Someday MLB may get it's act together and improve itself.

Last edited:
Interesting postmortem in the Globe today: Boston Red Sox - Red Sox unity, dedication dissolved during epic late-season collapse - The Boston Globe

Thin sourcing, but sure doesn't paint Lester, Beckett, and Lackey in a good light.

After reading that, and listening to Papi's comments these past few weeks, I honestly don't know if I can continue rooting for these guys. Wakefield, Pedroia, Youk, Tek, Ellsbury, Scutaro and Gonzalez, definitely. Even Crawford, as bad as he is for what we paid for him, seems like a genuinely good guy. But Papi, Lackey, Lester, Buchholz, Papelbon, Beckett, Drew... there are way too many lazy *******s on that team for them to be easy to root for.

Part of the reason why I'm actually kinda glad that Epstein is leaving. This team needs to clean house, and if all of his ******ed FA signings over the past few years mean that now we can't afford Ellsbury, then that just makes it even worse.

Imagine what Belichick would do if a Patriot tried to pull the football equivalent of eating fried chicken, drinking beer, and watching TV in the dugout during a game?

Last edited:
Wow, that story opened my eyes. The Red Sox need to clean house. If there are any disgruntled employees, send em packing! This club needs a huge makeover. Such a striking contrast between the Sox and the Pats. the Sox had all the talent but also too many prima donnas and individualists who didn't put the team first. Tito had a great run but he was too much of a 'players manager' and could not instill discipline when they needed it most. I am so glad the Red Sox have BB, Kraft, and Brady. I could never see that kind of collapse happening to the Pats just because of the type of people they have in place now.

Unfortunately, ownership seems intent on finding another "players' manager" to replace Tito.
The more things change...

Wow, that story opened my eyes. The Red Sox need to clean house. If there are any disgruntled employees, send em packing!

Ah, but it's not the NFL, so they can't do that!

That is what Alamo doesn't understand when he's ridiculing people talking about the failed business model of baseball.

BB can ship Moss and AD's butts out of town anytime he wanted to.

Happy, cheerful Red Sox fans like Alamo are stuck with John Lackey for the next half decade.

After reading that, and listening to Papi's comments these past few weeks, I honestly don't know if I can continue rooting for these guys. Wakefield, Pedroia, Youk, Tek, Ellsbury, Scutaro and Gonzalez, definitely. Even Crawford, as bad as he is for what we paid for him, seems like a genuinely good guy. But Papi, Lackey, Lester, Buchholz, Papelbon, Beckett, Drew... there are way too many lazy *******s on that team for them to be easy to root for.

Part of the reason why I'm actually kinda glad that Epstein is leaving. This team needs to clean house, and if all of his ******ed FA signings over the past few years mean that now we can't afford Ellsbury, then that just makes it even worse.

Imagine what Belichick would do if a Patriot tried to pull the football equivalent of eating fried chicken, drinking beer, and watching TV in the dugout during a game?

One person's opinion but I find it impossible to root for a league and in particular a team, management and players that are completely antithetical to BB's and the Patriots culture. I'm also not one who loves wallowing in misery. I'm just a short attention span football fan. :)

My biggest fear is that the efficient money making machine that is the NFL (more power to them) will ruin my personal enjoyment of the fine product in their quest to broaden the audience to increase revenues.

Last edited:
these whiny crying threads about the lack of pats talk on the radio are embarrassing to not only pats fans but football fans everywhere.

these whiny crying threads about the lack of pats talk on the radio are embarrassing to not only pats fans but football fans everywhere.

Can you expand on this for a moment, guy with Red Sox in your sigpic?

Trust me, it's not just something here on this board, even the Patriots themselves noted it.

Remember back in what, 2003, when the Pats had a good punt return by Troy Brown against the Titans in regular season overturned by a penalty and the Foxboro crowd cheered the scoreboard display of the Sox game that happened to come up at the same time making it seem like they were cheering the penalty?

Damien Woody even made a comment about how weird it was but that he just had to ignore it and play the game. Great sign when you are so preoccupied with your baseball team that your football team has to ignore the goddamned home team.

One person's opinion but I find it impossible to root for a league and in particular a team, management and players that are completely antithetical to BB's and the Patriots culture. I'm also not one who loves wallowing in misery. I'm just a short attention span football fan. :)

My biggest fear is that the efficient money making machine that is the NFL (more power to them) will ruin my personal enjoyment of the fine product in their quest to broaden the audience to increase revenues.

Could not have said it better myself. :rocker:

LOL! So we should be happy that both sports radio stations are on week three of rehashing and biatching about players drinking beer in the clubhouse during the game (which has now added the critical dynamic of players eating Popeye's fried chicken in the clubhouse) rather than talking football?

This is a message board where people biatch about many topics Patriots related including whether the local radio stations are ignoring the Patriots or not. Since we know many of the radio show hosts actually read this board and this is probably the only place we can make our voices heard by them, it is probably a good thing to complain here.

I missed the vote electing you as being spokesperson for Patriots fans and football fans everywhere.

Last edited:

Guess you didn't read the article too closely since it specifically took shots at Tek and Wakefield for being part of the problem.

It did NOT take shots at Papelbon.

JD Drew is gone because his contract is up. Why people like yourself don't just acknowledge it is beyond me.

While the team needs to clean house, fans, such as yourself and myself need to not fall into the media trap of buying every rumor they throw out there. And if you don't think that Hohler has an agenda, think again.

Like others, I want to see Lackey gone. Ship him to Oakland, where he always seems to pitch well. Bring in some guys who can hustle or give the kids like Reddick a legit shot. Don't just sit them on the bench when they are clearly one of the better players.

I hate baseball....
Yes.
Baseball = 45 mins of nap-time, interrupted by 17.2 seconds of exciteme... nevermind, foul ball....
Basketball = 3 hours' worth of incessant sqeeeek of shoes on the court. Unwatchable.
Hockey = Man, this is some exciting stuff! Non-stop action!
Football = Ultimate spectator sport!
Soccer = Freestyle jogging.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes