Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Santana Moss extension -- lolz you can do this??

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by eom, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -2

ProFootballTalk.com - New Santana Moss Deal Offsets Jansen Cap Charge

this is the kind of devious crap that makes me wonder why I even bother to try to figure salary cap.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

How do they become automatically void?

People are starting the mess with the cap the same way Enron and Worldcom messed with accounting rules.
  3. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -2

they just put it in there.

the following are fake years and not to be taken seriously:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  4. Schmo

Schmo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Poison pill themselves?
  5. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Pretty much.
  6. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -3

7. eom

eom Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -2

no.

hopefully one of these resident capologists will correct me if I have this wrong, but they just took 2 years of salary ('09 + '10), lumped it all up in a signing bonus, which is basically like giving the guy an advance on next year's pay, but it gets amortized over the length (5 years) of the contract for cap purposes.

so, after some minimal salary figure (700k, or whatever it was) they're only on the hook for 20% of the signing bonus (for cap purposes) this year, and 20% next year.

but, OH NO! the contract's voided!
    this accelerates the remaining 60% of the signing bonus hit into 2010.
    which happens to be uncapped.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  8. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think there will be a LOT of things like that with 10 POSSIBLY being uncapped...As of now..it is uncapped, but THAT could change.
  9. Isaac

Isaac Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm skeptical, but if this is indeed legit it could give the Patriots a tool to free up some cap space if needed this year. However, one down-side is that it probably eliminates the ability of the team to use a franchise tag on a player, therefore I doubt they'd do something like this for Brady--there are other players that could be options (e.g. Matt Light, Adalius Thomas).
  10. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Voidable years have always been available as somewhat of a means to postpone the inevitable. Manning has two at the end of his 7 year deal that was initially a 9 year deal. That gave Polian more room to maneuver in amortizing all those roster bonuses his deal included. Because voidable years while automatic in the sense that whatever service or performance was tied to them is easily achieved do not actually void until they occur. It's a means to stretch the cap but it doesn't come without cost as the dead cap remains after the years are voided.

We could redo Brady's deal with a couple of voidable years. But who wants to face the prospect of Brady as a FA with dead cap?

Sometimes those years are also used to fluff up a contract and make it look bigger than it is for agent spin. Manning's deal was for 9 years and $126M though it will really end up 7 years $98M. The $100M category was probably important for Condon to say he achieved for Manning at the time because guys like Favre and Bledsoe had already achieved that mark (on paper, anyways...).
  11. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Great points about the back ended deals...they have always been used, I'm curious how these and other tactics an dloopholes may help teams skirt around the possible uncapped year?? I mean now, it's a real question mark, maybe leaning a bit toward uncapped, BUT..until there is more momentum one side or the other, I really think teams are doing a lot of fence sitting and finding ways to plan for either. (MORE reason to get it all done early...)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.