PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Saban on plane to Bama per PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
According to profootballtalk.com, Saban is on a plane to Bama and its a done deal. Great news. Even though Fish were only 6-10 this year, they are clearly less of a short term divisional threat now that they need to hire a new coach and install a new system.

Great news for Pats fans to have one of the mini-me's out of the AFC East. :)

Man your quick, so much for my scoop. Farewell Nick, I hope Bama can become Patriots Light for many years to come

According to profootballtalk.com, Saban is on a plane to Bama and its a done deal. Great news. Even though Fish were only 6-10 this year, they are clearly less of a short term divisional threat now that they need to hire a new coach and install a new system.

Amen. Also, some of those aging probowlers on the defense might rethink the 2007 campaign if it's another year of starting over.... Please JT, retire!!!!!!!

I heard! But he's still the HC of Miami according to ESPN-nothing's a done deal -yet. So here's hoping Bama makes him an offer he can't refuse! One less mini-me to worry about! :rocker:

Amen. Also, some of those aging probowlers on the defense might rethink the 2007 campaign if it's another year of starting over.... Please JT, retire!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly. Saban may or may not have the makings of a good NFL coach, but leaving an aging Miami defense in rebuilding mode yet again, and plunking BB's football soulmate into the core of the SEC...works for me.

It will be interesting to see if the Patriots pursue Wes Welker now - I believe he's an unrestricted free agent. Mike Reiss mentioned recently that he was someone he'd like to see targetted, if I remember correctly.

I had felt that BB might not pursue him if Saban wanted him back - given their friendship - but this news might change that.

All of the above is assuming of course that the Patriots have an interest in Welker.

It will be interesting to see if the Patriots pursue Wes Welker now - I believe he's an unrestricted free agent. Mike Reiss mentioned recently that he was someone he'd like to see targetted, if I remember correctly.

I had felt that BB might not pursue him if Saban wanted him back - given their friendship - but this news might change that.

All of the above is assuming of course that the Patriots have an interest in Welker.

As president of the Wes Welker fan club, I can say that I would be the first to welcome him here. :rocker:

Gee, I wonder whwat he's up to...trying to leverage 'Bama to sweeten the pot or he'll reverse course and go back to a team and fan base that likely right now has lost all trust in him?

Oddly I ceased fearing what Saban would do in Miami when he embraced Ricky. His ego is so tied to winning he was totally incompetent to change a culture or rebuild a franchise. Couldn't take the heat or deal with the media in the process of a rebuild which will include losing. Began to take all kinds of shortcuts to get competitive short term even if they totally destroyed any shot at rebuilding with a truly sound foundation build around not just talent but character. If I were a core player like Thomas or Taylor who bought in, I would be beyond pissed at the way my talent has been squandered again.

Well WEEI says it's official per ESPN...bye Nick. Pity the poor bastid who gets saddled with cleaning up your NFL mess. You got handed your dream job, they gave you the keys to a storied franchise, no strings attached, and over two seasons you just managed to make it exponentially worse than it was the day before you got there. Maybe this will teach NFL owners to be just a little wary of the magic of Belichick branches once pruned away from the actual tree.

Seems like good news for the Pats on a couple of levels.

First, Miami is going to likely take an immediate step back as they switch systems and 'leaders'

Second, it lets Saban and BB go back to talking defense each offseason, which has to be good.

Third, it puts another college coach in a place where the Pats might get some extra draft intel.

Fourth, it likely does affect the decisionmaking of some of Miami's players and the Pats presumably have some interest in some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes