PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Saban moving on??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Do NOT know if this has been on the board or not..I looked down at many threads..didn't see this. Talk od Saban losing the team slowly..being too much a dictator and the team basically rebelling and such...and with that Saban thinking he may be better off in college. The speculation was that if things did NOT change..he'd be headed back to the college ranks...maybe a place like ..near Miami?? Just interesting..as he has cit and run si to speak a few times.

I don't see him quitting and leaving all that money on the table. I don't see him being fired because of all the money he is owed. The only way I can see this happening if both he wants out and the team wants him out, and a buyout is negotiated. I doubt that will happen.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
I don't see him quitting and leaving all that money on the table. I don't see him being fired because of all the money he is owed. The only way I can see this happening if both he wants out and the team wants him out, and a buyout is negotiated. I doubt that will happen.
The writer for PFW thought that with the team and him at opposite ends, it was a bad situation getting worse. He'll get big bucks in college..so the money may NOT be an issue. I just found that interesting so quick..before he had a real chance to build a team. They talked about his style being so so different than other coaches..and closer to what is needed for a college coach. Just an interesting thought though..

He might find himself in a Pete Carroll situation where he is better giving up the money, possibly through a mutual buyout, and return to the college game where he has more control over the players. Paul

I don't think that Saban is going anywhere for at least the next 1 1/2 years.

Art Shell, Dennis Green, Joe Gibbs and the Big Tuna, however...

Too soon. Nothing wrong with that team that an O-line couldn't cure. Traded away their draft last year and didn't address it. Baltimore did the same but got away with it, mostly. (McNair did get nailed once.) It has bitten Miami in the butt.

Just watching INSIDE THE NFL and they just mentioned a stat that I thought was crazy.. At this present time.. Saban and Spurrier have the same amt of wins..

All of eight weeks ago that team was supposed to take over the division and go deep into the playoffs. Amazing.

I think it's time to acknowledge the extraordinary accomplishments of four coaches: Belichick, Shanahan, Cowher and, yes, Dungy. They consistently field strong teams year after year as the rest of the league shows us how many different ways there are to fail.

Pro football weekly is late to the game alot. This is a story that was drummed up by the Miami beat writers about three weeks ago and effectively died out two weeks ago. PFW is a great publication when getting an overwiew of the league but timeliness is not one of its better virtues

adamprez said:
Pro football weekly is late to the game alot. This is a story that was drummed up by the Miami beat writers about three weeks ago and effectively died out two weeks ago. PFW is a great publication when getting an overwiew of the league but timeliness is not one of its better virtues

Not true.. National media usually takes a week or two after the story.. THIS IS A BIG ISSUE>. ESPN and INSIDE THE NFL have been talking about it.. And I think I even recall Marshal Faulk talking about it on NFL NETWORK.

patchick said:
All of eight weeks ago that team was supposed to take over the division and go deep into the playoffs. Amazing.

I think it's time to acknowledge the extraordinary accomplishments of four coaches: Belichick, Shanahan, Cowher and, yes, Dungy. They consistently field strong teams year after year as the rest of the league shows us how many different ways there are to fail.

and those teams just happen to make up what I call 'THE IRON' of the AFC:
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Broncos
Most consistantly successful franchises in each division.

patchick said:

Absolutely. You could throw Andy Reid in their too.

Of course it's coach/GM/owner and I think it's having a plan and sticking to it then adding F.A.s only as needed to patch.

You look at the Colts and they've decided to build around Peyton. They draft very well and find enough on D to be credible.

Saban has chosen the make a splash with FA, trade route.

The question is, how many years behind have the lost draft picks, (not all his fault), put the team?

I still think if he can dump Culpepper on somebody and wack Harrington in the noggin with a 2 by 4 a few times, he might salvage that situation.

SamBam39 said:
and those teams just happen to make up what I call 'THE IRON' of the AFC:
Patriots
Steelers
Colts
Broncos
Most consistantly successful franchises in each division.

Yeah. A good case can be made for them indeed. All but two of the AFC's Super Bowl appearances since the 1996 season. 4 of the past 5 AFC Championship losses as well.

That said, I see it almost as three teams -- Denver, Pitt, and NE -- plus an additional one or two rotating slots (Indy, Tennessee, Oakland, etc.)

As for Saban -- he probably can go back to a stellar college career ala Carroll even if he toughs it out a year or two more in Miami ...

Since Huizenga went through a lot just to get Saban to come to the NFL, I think he'll give Saban more time to work things out than let's say Dennis Erickson had in San Francisco a few years ago.

Last edited:
mcsully said:
Not true.. National media usually takes a week or two after the story.. THIS IS A BIG ISSUE>. ESPN and INSIDE THE NFL have been talking about it.. And I think I even recall Marshal Faulk talking about it on NFL NETWORK.

that's my point. this is a media creation. think about it. sban just went through cap hell for two years. Next year will be the first where he has alittle flexibility not to mention the year after where he will have even more room to maneuver. Why would he want to leave just before his situation improves. Then again anything is possible in miami

Pats726 said:
Just interesting..as he has cit and run si to speak a few times.

I don't understand the shorthand "cit and run si"

Can someone decipher this for me?

adamprez said:
that's my point. this is a media creation. think about it. sban just went through cap hell for two years. Next year will be the first where he has alittle flexibility not to mention the year after where he will have even more room to maneuver. Why would he want to leave just before his situation improves. Then again anything is possible in miami
But id he's lost his players...that is key..seems like he has now..so maybe cap wise he'll be better...with maybe players bailing out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back