PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ryan fined for half-time at Patriots game thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of the leagues are a real threat to fold, too popular. The NFL is the most fun league to watch but has the worst commish running it. Those are the facts.
That's only a "fact" for people who have never heard of David Ster, Gary Bettman or Bud Selig.
You can't seriously be happy with the job Goodell is doing, especially considering the guy he replaced.
Um, the guy he replaced was a horrible commissioner. There's a reason nobody seems interested in putting him in the Hall of Fame.

I disagree with Goodell's handling of spygate and I don't like the move to put more regular season games in London. But overall he has done a fine job as commish, bringing the league to previously-unseen heights of popularity and managing to get a new, long term CBA without missing a single meaningful game. If you think new CBA's are easy to negotiate, just ask David Stern and Gary Bettman how they've done with such things.

overall he has done a fine job as commish, bringing the league to previously-unseen heights of popularity and managing to get a new, long term CBA without missing a single meaningful game.

yeah...in fact ..THERE'S Roger Goodell hugging Jeff Saturday as DeMaurice Smith looks on along with others involved in the agreement finally being done....oh.....wait.........

nfl_g_satkraft_288.jpg

That's only a "fact" for people who have never heard of David Ster, Gary Bettman or Bud Selig.
Um, the guy he replaced was a horrible commissioner. There's a reason nobody seems interested in putting him in the Hall of Fame.

I disagree with Goodell's handling of spygate and I don't like the move to put more regular season games in London. But overall he has done a fine job as commish, bringing the league to previously-unseen heights of popularity and managing to get a new, long term CBA without missing a single meaningful game. If you think new CBA's are easy to negotiate, just ask David Stern and Gary Bettman how they've done with such things.

Goodell makes Tagliabue look like the best commissioner in the history of sport by comparison. And, sad as it is, Stern, Bettman and Selig (I say this even as Selig is making stupid moves regarding the wild card) are all better commissioners than Goodell.

By a country mile

Last edited:
overall he has done a fine job as commish, bringing the league to previously-unseen heights of popularity and managing to get a new, long term CBA without missing a single meaningful game.

yeah...in fact ..THERE'S Roger Goodell hugging Jeff Saturday as DeMaurice Smith looks on along with others involved in the agreement finally being done....oh.....wait.........

nfl_g_satkraft_288.jpg
What's your point? A lot of people deserve credit for the NFL not going to oblivion, even temporarily, by getting this new deal done. But fact is that no matter the league, the commissioner is the point man for all involved. If you don't believe me, just ask David Stern. Or Gary Bettman. Or Bud Selig.

If the NFL had lost games, the irrational Goodell-haters would be criticizing him for that and rightfully so, just like Stern is getting heavily criticized for the NBA fiasco. But although we didn't lose any NFL games, they refuse to give Goodell any credit.

Goodell makes Tagliabue look like the best commissioner in the history of sport by comparison. And, sad as it is, Stern, Bettman and Selig (I say this even as Selig is making stupid moves regarding the wild card) are all better commissioners than Goodell.

By a country mile
This is nothing more than an opinion based heavily on ignorance. Bettman lost a full season, Selig lost the World Series one year and Stern is well on the way to losing a full season. Meanwhile under Goodell's watch, the NFL has become an even better and more popular product than it had ever been.

The Goodell haters love to hate, but they are always short on specifics. I agree he handled spygate poorly and I also mentioned that I don't like the expansion of regular season games to London. But tell me, besides those things, what is it about Goodell's tenure that makes you think he is doing such a bad job? Or is your irrationality based purely on spygate?

Last edited:
Go fine yourself, Roger!

Don't you wonder if Roger Goodell ever said exactly what Rex said when sitting in his office listening to a Rex Ryan press conference?

This is nothing more than an opinion based heavily on ignorance.

Bettman lost a full season, Selig lost the World Series one year and Stern is well on the way to losing a full season. Meanwhile under Goodell's watch, the NFL has become an even better and more popular product than it had ever been.

The Goodell haters love to hate, but they are always short on specifics. I agree he handled spygate poorly and I also mentioned that I don't like the expansion of regular season games to London. But tell me, besides those things, what is it about Goodell's tenure that makes you think he is doing such a bad job? Or is your irrationality based purely on spygate?

When it comes to ignorance, you're an expert. I've made point after point about Goodell since he's been commissioner. I've been specific, and I've been consistent. As for what you claim is irrationality, I'll take your opinion and give it every bit of worth I think it deserves.

Last edited:
Goodell > Bettman. They're both bad though.

If Rex gets fined $100K for that, then it just might be the dumbest fine in NFL history.

Well, second dumbest. Spygate was still worse.

Last edited:
When it comes to ignorance, you're an expert.
Yeah, whenever someone is reduced to saying "I know you are but what am I?" as you've just done, that's just further confirmation they're wrong.

Wait guys, according to half the posters here the commish is a Jet, shouldn't they be getting compensatory picks in the coming draft for this? I'm so confused. Everyone here is so sure that he's a Jet.

Oh, wait ...he's a Colt. ...or was he a Pat? I can never get this right. Changes every weekend.

This whole thing about representing the NFL in a positive light is BS. Let organizations handle their own image, if they wanna look like classless bozo's so be it.

Doesn't seem profitable in the long run unless they're winning SB's every other year.

Acting like a loser and trying to become a champion hasn't worked out for Rex thus far.:rolleyes:

This whole thing about representing the NFL in a positive light is BS. Let organizations handle their own image, if they wanna look like classless bozo's so be it.

Doesn't seem profitable in the long run unless they're winning SB's every other year.

Acting like a loser and trying to become a champion hasn't worked out for Rex thus far.:rolleyes:
When something like this happens you have to come down on the person who did it, especially if they are a repeat offender like Ryan, or else things like this will happen more and more often and then just keep escalting. I don't blame Goodell for dropping the hammer and AFAIC it couldn't have happened to a better HC.

When something like this happens you have to come down on the person who did it, especially if they are a repeat offender like Ryan, or else things like this will happen more and more often and then just keep escalting. I don't blame Goodell for dropping the hammer and AFAIC it couldn't have happened to a better HC.

I agree, just think the owners should be the ones doing the hammering. Any owner with a team playing shaky and a HC cussing at fans would be wise to shut him up.

At some point the league would have to intervene, I just find it annoying.

not a fan of Roger ScumDell, he thinks he's Herbert Hoover.

Wow, this is one of the worst fines in the history of the NFL. It was funny as hell. Even players who throw punches on the field don't get fined this much.

yeah Wolfpack..here you go digging your heels in and folding your arms again...lashing out at the "haters" who disagree with YOUR simplistic, fawning adoration of the job Goodell did during the strike...funny thing though...YOU give all praise and credit to Goodell..as if without Goodell a deal never gets done...well...there WAS someone mentioned as the man who "without him this deal doesn't get done"...mentioned by Jeff Saturday...perhaps you missed it while throwing rose petals at the feet of Omissioner Ratdell (sorry, I'm a hater, not a proselytizing acolyte of Dum Dee Dum Dum Rog)...

After months of owners and players being at odds, there was a powerful scene that unfolded today in Washington, DC as the sides announced a 10-year collective bargaining agreement.

Colts center Jeff Saturday, a member of the executive committee, gave a warm embrace to Robert Kraft after speaking about his role in the process and the death of his wife, Myra.

"A special thanks to Myra Kraft, who even in her weakest moment allowed Mr. Kraft to come and fight this out," Saturday said at the news conference, while looking in the eyes of Robert Kraft to his right. "And without him, this deal does not get done. I don't want to be climatic in any way, but he is a man who helped us save football and we're so gracious for that, we're gracious for his family and for the opportunity he presented to get this deal done. So thank you very much, we really appreciate it."

At that moment, Saturday put his right arm around Kraft and brought him close for a meaningful embrace, with Kraft's head tucked into Saturday's chest.

sorta blasts cavern sized holes in your Goodell "theory" of wondefulness....

yeah Wolfpack..here you go digging your heels in and folding your arms again...lashing out at the "haters" who disagree with YOUR simplistic, fawning adoration of the job Goodell did during the strike...funny thing though...YOU give all praise and credit to Goodell..
What part of

"A lot of people deserve credit for the NFL not going to oblivion, even temporarily, by getting this new deal done"

did you not understand? I didn't use too many multi-syllable words for you, did I?

I said there are a few things I disagree with him about but overall the guy is doing a good job. To you that equates to "fawning adoration". The fact that you can't make an intelligent argument with examples - and without resorting to ridiculous hyperbole - does nothing but demonstrate the bankrupcy of your contentions.

And the fact that you're taking a touching tribute to Myra Kraft to support your bankrupt claims is pretty reprehensible. But you've demonstrated you're quite comforable sinking to new lows, so I am not terribly surprised.

Last edited:
Yeah, whenever someone is reduced to saying "I know you are but what am I?" as you've just done, that's just further confirmation they're wrong.

And you get it wrong again. You see, my noting that you're an expert when it comes to ignorance is nothing more than confirmation that I have been around enough to read a lot of your posts. As I pointed out, I've posted on Goodell around here for a long time, about a lot more than Spygate. Now, run along. I don't need an ankle biter around me this evening.

And you get it wrong again. You see, my noting that you're an expert when it comes to ignorance is nothing more than confirmation that I have been around enough to read a lot of your posts. As I pointed out, I've posted on Goodell around here for a long time, about a lot more than Spygate. Now, run along. I don't need an ankle biter around me this evening.
Well you'll have to forgive me if I don't catalog and cross reference every post you've ever made. Quite honestly, the ignorance of football you regularly display makes me quite likely to just skip over any post you make in general, save those addressed specifically to me. But I generally don't waste my time reading your posts, as you have demonstrated time and again you know very little of which you speak.

If you have a point to make, feel free to make it because I'm still waiting for anyone to give me examples of how Goodell is a poor commissioner (beyond the 2 examples I already gave). It does not fall upon me to research your points for you.

All I know is the NFL is the best, most well run professional sports league in the country, which recently came through a major crisis unscathed. The people who refuse to give the commissioner any credit whatsoever for that are nothing but ignorant haters.

Last edited:
What part of

"A lot of people deserve credit for the NFL not going to oblivion, even temporarily, by getting this new deal done"

did you not understand? I didn't use too many multi-syllable words for you, did I?

I said there are a few things I disagree with him about but overall the guy is doing a good job. To you that equates to "fawning adoration". The fact that you can't make an intelligent argument with examples - and without resorting to ridiculous hyperbole - does nothing but demonstrate the bankrupcy of your contentions.

obviously,YOU cannot read bolded English...your argument is with Jeff Saturday...I have his twitter acct....I'll shoot him a tweet informing him that YOU are calling him a liar and that while HE thinks Bob Kraft saved football during this strike, YOU know it was Roger Goodell....we'll see what he has to say...(BTW multi-syllable is not correct English by a longshot...you are also a very ignorant hypocrite. Try to speak in multi-syllabic English next time.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back