PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Rookie Seattle CB Kelly Jennings models his game after Asante Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Draftniks will remember this kid, a player with whom BB spent a good deal of time, working him out on his own in Miami before the 2006 draft. Reading his blog, you'll find that the three NFL Cbs on whom Kelly models his game are Champ Bailey, Mike McKenzie and Asante Samuel, Asante in particular because Kelly is also of small stature. Kelly comes across in his blog as a person of high character, the kind of player whom most fans can root for from afar. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/football/nfl/rookie_blog/

Samuel is a good one for Jennings to pattern himself after because IMHO Samuel is a very good run support cornerback, and that's a big hole in Jennings' game, and in the Seahawk defense in general. Maybe that's what Jennings means when he says Asante "plays the game the right way."

Samuel could be great, almost Winfield level, but he goes for the kill shot sometimes and whiffs.

I think Jennings run support and tackling were factors that dropped him on my board - not that BB chose to consult me this year. :(

That is an interesting factoid.

I wonder what NFL players around the league think of Asante. He's made some big plays this year and a few big hits in the past, but he never really stood out to me as a top corner or shut down corner.

Samuel is a good one for Jennings to pattern himself after because IMHO Samuel is a very good run support cornerback, and that's a big hole in Jennings' game, and in the Seahawk defense in general. Maybe that's what Jennings means when he says Asante "plays the game the right way."

Samuel could be great, almost Winfield level, but he goes for the kill shot sometimes and whiffs.

why do you bring up the run support? I asked a Seahawk fan like a month or two ago and they said Jennings is suprisingly good in run support for his size. i asked because im a Hurricane fan and i know hes small but hes a great player IMO and hes tough enough to go in and tackle a guy much bigger than him. its hard to say BB didnt take him because questions of run support beacuse why didnt he take Richard Marshall with first or 2nd pick?

That is an interesting factoid.

I wonder what NFL players around the league think of Asante. He's made some big plays this year and a few big hits in the past, but he never really stood out to me as a top corner or shut down corner.

easily i the top 10 of cbs int he leauge

why do you bring up the run support? I asked a Seahawk fan like a month or two ago and they said Jennings is suprisingly good in run support for his size. i asked because im a Hurricane fan and i know hes small but hes a great player IMO and hes tough enough to go in and tackle a guy much bigger than him. its hard to say BB didnt take him because questions of run support beacuse why didnt he take Richard Marshall with first or 2nd pick?
Uh, he took Maroney and Jackson with those picks and passed on both Marshall and Kelly, I know he didn't ask for my input, but you mean he didn't ask you either? :eek: (Mix, If one leg feels longer than the other today it's just an optical illusion. ;))

Uh, he took Maroney and Jackson with those picks and passed on both Marshall and Kelly, I know he didn't ask for my input, but you mean he didn't ask you either? :eek: (Mix, If one leg feels longer than the other today it's just an optical illusion. ;))

um no i didnt want either of them over our 2 picks..someone mentioned that Jennings was on their board and i gave my input saying ..well now "hawk fans are suprised he can tackle" so maybe if u wanted him..he proved u wrong.

um no i didnt want either of them over our 2 picks..someone mentioned that Jennings was on their board and i gave my input saying ..well now "hawk fans are suprised he can tackle" so maybe if u wanted him..he proved u wrong.
Now I'm all mixed up! :confused:

I liked Marshall for our "original" 2nd round pick before we traded up for Jackson, but coming out early there were questions about Marshall's tackling technique; lunging, diving, the usual, and we all know how BB feels about defenders who can't tackle consistently. The one defensive back we did take, Andrews, had problems both tackling and playing tight man coverage, of course, but the difference is he went with the 229th pick, and Marshall went with the 58th.

The last first day corner we took, Ellis Hobbs, while undersized, was praised for being technically sound playing both run and pass. Before that it was Eugene Wilson, whose tackling skills were so good for a corner he was moved to safety his second game in his rookie year. Asante Samuel, a late fourth that year, started out as a safety at UCF. Both were noted in profiles as being hitters than tacklers, which is still the rub all these years later, but by and large they were sound and that's why BB took them were he did.

If Hawk fans are pleased with Jennings' tackling it is because they are knowledgable fans with reasonable expectations. As you said, Jennings is "surprisingly good" which I translate as adequate, since when Jennings was in the game against the Chargers, Marty ran a bunch of stretch runs right at him, which was noticeable because the book against the Seahawks is to power run between the tackles, not footrace them to the corner. (Of course, LT can do anything :eek:) He is/was a thin corner with inconsistent tackling technique and not much upper body strength; if he is not making a clown out of himself then that is what is "surprising." I'm being a little strong here but my point is Jennings has yet to prove anyone wrong about how good he is in run support; he is a promising young corner with an excellent head on his shoulders and what appears to be a marked desire to achieve in all aspects of his game, and that's all you can say fairly at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes