JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Did you guys know that?

From KFFL:
Dolphins | Crowder believes R. Brown can carry the load
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:32:54 -0700

Ethan J. Skolnick, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports Miami Dolphins LB Channing Crowder believes RB Ronnie Brown will be able to carry the load for the team. Crowder said, " He's 240 pounds, he runs a 4.3 40 (yard dash), he can catch the ball, he can block. He's the complete package. There's no doubt in my mind Ronnie can handle it."

-------------------------------------

I thought his speed was around 4.4 at best. His weight was around 230.
So I guess he has gotten bigger and faster. :confused:

Brown is not Maroney. Sudden speed is not Bown's bag. I don't think PATs
will have a real hard time containing him ... but if gets to the second level
the DBs may some problems.

I still think the Fins are going to miss RW more than most think.

Crowder the only one or???

OK CRowder things so..THAT is good that a team mate thinks so..the fact that THAT is supposedky news makes me wonder about all the others on the team...

Brown is 1 of the best backs coming up. Hes fast, strong, catches well and hes going to be fresh because he split carries at Auburn. His speed is most likely 4.39-4.42 area but for a guy his size, thats great. Another back thats fast is Steven Jackson and hes real big too...big as a linebacker and hes up in the low 4.4s and possibly even high 4.3s

Maroney doesn't compare to Brown. Brown is faster and much stronger, can block better, can catch better. Ronnie Brown is going to tear this league apart. Too bad they have Culpepper, hahaha.

^i agree with you but besides the speed..Maroney is faster and quicker but not much faster. I dont think Brown has the lateral speed as much as Maroney and other shifty backs do. But yeah he seems a lot stronger though..as he can break more tackles straight on

Last edited by a moderator:
Remix 6 said:
^i agree with you but besides the speed..Maroney is faster and quicker but not much faster. I dont think Brown has the lateral speed as much as Maroney and other shifty backs do. But yeah he seems a lot stronger though..as he can break more tackles straight on

I read that R.Brown needs space to get up to speed and his weakness
stop and go cut back type moves. As long as he can keep going
forward he is great. This is one area Maroney has the advantage. IMO

BTW, isn't it the RBs excell in cut backs, quick changes in direction, that give the PATs the most problem.
PATs front 7 are big enough to handle the power backs pretty well.

Last edited:
i think were good against both type of backs. I mean going to outside..Rosie and Willie would cut down and force them in or through them which stopped them. I think we struggled against Edgerrin James a few times and guys like LT might be hard to stop aswell as Portis.

Reason: They are strong, versatile backs with good speed and power..do it all guys. I didnt list Larry Johnson because last year on our way back to playoffs..we did let him get 100+ yards but a 3.8 ypc aswell as McGahee on the first game. I mean if they wanna give the ball 30+ times..let them. If they only get 3something yards per carry..aint bad. but definatley guys like LT are very hard to stop unless we stack up a little. He ran all over us last year .. couldnt tackle him at contact..he was too fast and strong. But with Bruschi back..i expect our D to be stronger mentally and be more physical.
This year:
McGahee
Martin/Blaylock/Houston
Bell/Dayne
Johnson
Brown
McGahee
Taylor/Moore
Addai/Rhodes
Martin/Blaylock/Houston
Green/Gado
Jones/Benson
Jones
Brown
Davis
Taylor
Brown/White

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I'm not afraid of Ronnie Brown. He is just another running back. Nothing special, and was not worth picking so high.

Lots of running backs come into the league at full speed. The position is the easiest to pick up for a rookie. I think we have already seen what Ronnie can do, I don't think he is hiding his 'good stuff' for a rainy day.

He is solid and will be consistent at his current level for a few years at least.

I can't compare Maroney to anyone right now because I've never seen him play an NFL game, but he has more upside than Ronnie. But only if his slender legs are up to an NFL beat down for 16 weeks.....

And Jr4 is right, our defense has trouble with speed and agility, not bull running. Especially if we get some beef back at safety.

When did R. Brown get hurt last year? Because after his first 6/7 games, he was trash... Even on the fins "Unbelieveable 6 game winning streak!" his numbers show he was real mediocre...

There is nothing mediocre about R. Brown. After his initial start (first 7 games or so), R. Williams became the main back for the Dolphins and he was forced to play second. Now the R. Williams is gone, I can say for sure that R. Brown is going to explode into this league.

Disclaimer: I am an Auburn student, so there's a slight possibility that my view is biased:D

your saying Ricky Williams beat him out at the end? Your kidding right? Ronnie had some type of leg injury at midseason and took on a lesser role while trying to get healthy. hes a future top back... i said it. Brown would fit our system great if we had him..but we have to verse him..i think we can stop him. stop trying to deny this guys talent because hes a fish :\ err i mean Dolphin

last year he had no QB..their OL was decent and still managed 900+ yards and a 4.4 ypc

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
Maroney doesn't compare to Brown. Brown is faster and much stronger, can block better, can catch better. Ronnie Brown is going to tear this league apart. Too bad they have Culpepper, hahaha.

I think (or at least hope ;)....that you will eat these words drew....I think Maroney is going to be HUGELY successful in this league and could become one of the top backs. brown proved VERY LITTLE last year......we shall see what he does in the NFL this year. I think Maroney has already proven that he can make some catches out of the backfield....I am not 100% sure of his blocking ability.......but I will tell you this....IMHO...I have seen very few backs *(and certainly not Ronny Brown) that have a second gear like Maroney's (Portis comes to mind)....Ronny doesn't have that kind of thing....he is a big back along the lines of WIlliams (with limited juke and lateral moves)....I think Maroney is going to make you eat these words man!!! GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edgecy said:
There is nothing mediocre about R. Brown. After his initial start (first 7 games or so), R. Williams became the main back for the Dolphins and he was forced to play second. Now the R. Williams is gone, I can say for sure that R. Brown is going to explode into this league.

Disclaimer: I am an Auburn student, so there's a slight possibility that my view is biased:D

"I can say for sure that R. Brown is going to explode into this league."

Alright.....but get ready to eat some corw if you are wrong now.......I will do the same if you are right. My feeling is that Ronnie Brown is a good back and will have a good season....I just don't see him as a all star RB...one man's opinion

stcjones said:
I think (or at least hope ;)....that you will eat these words drew....I think Maroney is going to be HUGELY successful in this league and could become one of the top backs. brown proved VERY LITTLE last year......we shall see what he does in the NFL this year. I think Maroney has already proven that he can make some catches out of the backfield....I am not 100% sure of his blocking ability.......but I will tell you this....IMHO...I have seen very few backs *(and certainly not Ronny Brown) that have a second gear like Maroney's (Portis comes to mind)....Ronny doesn't have that kind of thing....he is a big back along the lines of WIlliams (with limited juke and lateral moves)....I think Maroney is going to make you eat these words man!!! GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can think what you want on the topic, but I am just giving you the scouting report on each guy and Brown tops Maroney in just about every category. Now I never said Maroney would not be successful in the NFL, I just said Brown would be immensely successful, since RONNIE BROWN, not Maroney, was the subject of the post. Along the same lines... I don't know what this second gear garbage you're talking about is. But Ronnie Brown is faster than Maroney in a 40 yard sprint, and Brown probably takes a tad longer to get going because he's bigger, meaning his "second gear" is faster than Maroney's. There have been MANY instances where a back without the same atributes as another ends up having a more successful career, so we'll have to see how the two compare down the road.

stcjones said:
"I can say for sure that R. Brown is going to explode into this league."

Alright.....but get ready to eat some corw if you are wrong now.......I will do the same if you are right. My feeling is that Ronnie Brown is a good back and will have a good season....I just don't see him as a all star RB...one man's opinion

Aye, Brown will prove to you that he's not just another good back. I understand there are tendacies to knock on the Dolphins, but there's no denying Brown's potential. 907 yards in his rookie year is quite impressive, shared the workload with R. Williams, and now with a year under his belt this guy is only going to get better.

Hope you like crows.

drew4008 said:
............. But Ronnie Brown is faster than Maroney in a 40 yard sprint, and Brown probably takes a tad longer to get going because he's bigger, meaning his "second gear" is faster than Maroney's. There have been MANY instances where a back without the same atributes as another ends up having a more successful career, so we'll have to see how the two compare down the road.

I am not convinced. Brown was never did 4.3/40 as Crowder said. Maybe he did 4.4.
But now he is 10 lbs heavier and somehow he got faster? I doubt it.
I'll take Maroney's speed, decent size and ilusivenss over Brown's power.

I 'll be surprised Brown gets over 4yds/carry against PATs assuming they
are healthy. Let's see how he does against the Steelers. Fins got a pretty
easy schedule so I don't doubt Brown will show some numbers this year.
Let's see how he does against some good defenses.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
You can think what you want on the topic, but I am just giving you the scouting report on each guy and Brown tops Maroney in just about every category. Now I never said Maroney would not be successful in the NFL, I just said Brown would be immensely successful, since RONNIE BROWN, not Maroney, was the subject of the post. Along the same lines... I don't know what this second gear garbage you're talking about is. But Ronnie Brown is faster than Maroney in a 40 yard sprint, and Brown probably takes a tad longer to get going because he's bigger, meaning his "second gear" is faster than Maroney's. There have been MANY instances where a back without the same atributes as another ends up having a more successful career, so we'll have to see how the two compare down the road.

I appreciate your insight and opinion Drew, and thanks for the stats......GO PATS.....and GO MARONEY!!!!!

JR4 said:
I am not convinced. Brown was never did 4.3/40 as Crowder said. Maybe he did 4.4.
But now he is 10 lbs heavier and somehow he got faster? I doubt it.
I'll take Maroney's speed, decent size and ilusivenss over Brown's power.

I 'll be surprised Brown gets over 4yds/carry against PATs assuming they
are healthy. Let's see how he does against the Steelers. Fins got a pretty
easy schedule so I don't doubt Brown will show some numbers this year.
Let's see how he does against some good defenses.

Amen...we are on the same page...good post JR

edgecy said:
Aye, Brown will prove to you that he's not just another good back. I understand there are tendacies to knock on the Dolphins, but there's no denying Brown's potential. 907 yards in his rookie year is quite impressive, shared the workload with R. Williams, and now with a year under his belt this guy is only going to get better.

Hope you like crows.

we shall see Fin fan.........;)

drew4008 said:

I appreciate your insight and opinion Drew, and thanks for the stats......GO PATS.....and GO MARONEY!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back