PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Roger Goodell sinks further into self-parody

Why shouldn't he have been banned? I know why he wasn't, but the league was not "required" to reinstate him. And the notion he was rehabbed because he spent some time behind bars "paying his debt to society" is questionable at best.

Let's say Hernandez is found not guilty but is not acquitted as innocent. Does he get reinstated after doing a Vick-style apology tour? THAT would be one to watch.

Not guilty = acquitted. There is no verdict option of "innocent"

If that were to happen, no, he does not get reinstated. Even if he cannot be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, the NFL can still look at the facts and reasonably conclude that Hernandez is a murderer and a danger to others. His NFL career is over.

Vick funded a dog fighting ring and probably did more time than any other dog fighting impresario in history. He has paid his debt, and has no history of violence against people that would make him a danger to his employer or teammates.

Ignore the ridiculously misleading Florio-made headline, and tell us what, specifically, Goodell says that has you so upset. I am just not seeing much in the following quote that is egregiously horrendous:

“I think Michael is a young man who made a tragic mistake. He paid a very heavy price for it. But I’ve seen him, in everything he’s done, exceed expectations. He has worked very hard to be a positive force in a lot of different areas. And I think that’s something I admire about him. When we went through the process of reviewing whether he would enter back into the league, he demonstrated he’s somebody who’s committed to saying, ‘I’m going to do this the right way. I’m going to be a positive force.’ And he has. I’m proud of the work he’s done.”

You seriously can't make a logical connection between admiring the traits and acts of a person to admiring the person? I think you can because I honestly don't think anyone can be that obtuse. So, in this case, one has to assume that you're arguing just to argue.

IMO, the clock is ticking on the NFL as we know it. As more studies reveal the permanent damage to the brain that football causes, fewer and fewer grade schools and high schools will offer the sport. Eventually, it will become marginalized and only played by the poorest of the poor in the most neglectful of school districts. Popularity will eventually wane, from the ground up.

The owners worry about the gravy train coming to an end and have instructed Herr Roger to squeeze all he can out of the rock while he still can. Those who think this is not coming from the owners are very naive.

Not guilty = acquitted. There is no verdict option of "innocent"
Yes, thanks. I worded that poorly (it was late).

If that were to happen, no, he does not get reinstated. Even if he cannot be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, the NFL can still look at the facts and reasonably conclude that Hernandez is a murderer and a danger to others. His NFL career is over.
Perhaps. But I wonder if his lawyers might attempt making a case for reinstatement if he gets off.

That is a man worthy of admiration.

1794574_10152245322619651_422699638_n.jpg

That is not!

mike-vick-dog-fighting.jpeg

If you don't get the point behind my satirical "translation" of what he said, you'll never understand.
Actually, I understood it completely. You couldn't really criticize anything Goodell actually said, so you had to put words in his mouth and criticize what you were pretending he said.

Every time a fan directs hatred at Goodell instead of to the owners themselves, I bet Jerry Jones takes out two hundred dollar bills, lights a cigar with one and buys Roger a lapdance with the other. They love this guy, for exactly this reason. He rakes in the dough, and he takes the heat for the actual decision makers.

Every time a fan directs hatred at Goodell instead of to the owners themselves, I bet Jerry Jones takes out two hundred dollar bills, lights a cigar with one and buys Roger a lapdance with the other. They love this guy, for exactly this reason. He rakes in the dough, and he takes the heat for the actual decision makers.

I agree about the owners, but remember the NFL is entertainment
and there's lots of fun, at least for me, dumping on The ToolGoodell. Keep bringing it guys!

Jerry Jones doing a lap dance on Goodell. Well, Goodell does have a history with the Jets ...

Yes, thanks. I worded that poorly (it was late).

Perhaps. But I wonder if his lawyers might attempt making a case for reinstatement if he gets off.
I would not be surprised at what the POS Goodell does. He has already celebrated one murderer who was smarter in destroying the evidence. He now welcomes to his beloved jets a person who committed atrocities upon defenseless animals. i am sure if Hernandez signs with the Jets he would find a way to exonerate him.

I would not be surprised at what the POS Goodell does. He has already celebrated one murderer who was smarter in destroying the evidence. He now welcomes to his beloved jets a person who committed atrocities upon defenseless animals. i am sure if Hernandez signs with the Jets he would find a way to exonerate him.

I don't think NFL players are anything but potential dollar signs to Goodell and frankly most of the owners.

I don't think NFL players are anything but potential dollar signs to Goodell and frankly most of the owners.
Yes and the players are in it for nothing but the pure love of the game. They would all be brain surgeons and rocket scientists otherwise, but their pure love of athletic competition makes them play football for minimum wage (plus time and a half for OT).

Yes and the players are in it for nothing but the pure love of the game. They would all be brain surgeons and rocket scientists otherwise, but their pure love of athletic competition makes them play football for minimum wage (plus time and a half for OT).

What are you even arguing here? There's no player in the NFL who makes as much money in a given year as Roger Goodell, yet the players all put their health on the line on a daily basis while Goodell and his cronies squirrel away the evidence of how bad the health risk actually is. Goodell, meanwhile, sits in an office in New York being a fat, uncharismatic slob.

One slip, one more error by the monocular bull and ol' barging Roger may find his 45 million dollar salary is NOT guaranteed.

$45M goes a long way towards covering the additional income from two extra playoff games without having to water down the regular season... Just sayin'...

Vick's a bad person and Goodell's remarks are cheap and empty, but there are a lot of bad people in the NFL and elsewhere in life and, with his debt to society paid, he shouldn't have been 'banned from the NFL' or anything. You're welcome, of course, to rake him over the coals of public opinion as much as you want, however, noting that he is pretty objectively a bad person.

I don't consider his debt to society paid. He got a light sentance from a bunch of awe struck homers in VA. He got his job back, unlike what would happen to most of us. There's no way my company rehire him at all, never mind putting low life trash like him in a public facing position. NFL could have taken a strong clear position, instead they voted with their wallets.

Jerry Jones doing a lap dance on Goodell. Well, Goodell does have a history with the Jets ...

I hope that doesn't mean we'll be seeing a Goodell penis selfie on social media! :D

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back