PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Roethlisberger gets 4 to 6 game suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not heard any of his team mates defend him. Most quarterbacks are the leaders in the clubhouse but not Big Ben. He's tooo damn stupid. How dumb do you have to be hanging your junk out and trolling thru a bar? :eek:

This is why I like Goodell. He doesn't play games and he is cleaning up the NFL. If you break the conduct policy, he doesn't hesitate to bring the hammer down on you. And i'm guessing when Ben has another conduct problem in the future (and I don't doubt that there WILL be one), he'll probably get the full season suspension.

Goodell is the best thing to happen to the NFL since Tom Brady was drafted. :D

I have not heard any of his team mates defend him. Most quarterbacks are the leaders in the clubhouse but not Big Ben. He's tooo damn stupid. How dumb do you have to be hanging your junk out and trolling thru a bar? :eek:

I'm just happy that we have a QB that is a pretty good guy and even better football player.

Friggin rapist....he should get life....plus one year for that stupid half "mullet"/deliverance haircut...

Don't you usually have to be...oh I don't know....convicted of a crime to do time?

Don't you usually have to be...oh I don't know....convicted of a crime to do time?

Hes not doing time, hes suspended from his job, if I did what he did my company would fire me no questions asked. He broke the conduct rule that the NFL has and Gooddell enforces. Its two separate issues. Its not a constitutional right to play in the NFL. He saying theres no room in the NFL for thugs and I agree with him whether its a Steeler or a Patriot.

Things the NFLPA need to demand:

Arbitrator for ruling, Commissioner for appeals (or vice versa)
No punishment for conduct 'offenses' without a guilty verdict or plea deal
No suspensions for misdemeanors

Of course, in a perfect world, they'd demand Goodell's resignation

Goodell's in charge of the NFL, the NFL is a product, a private company, if someone does something to damage the image of the company he should have the right to suspend him or enforce the conduct clause that all the players abide by. Too many of these athletes are spoiled and coddled and think they can do whatever they want, and yes if a Patriot does something stupid I support the right of Goodell to suspend him too.
I would bet the owners very much support Goodell in these matters, its their product he's in charge of.

Last edited:
Its pretty clear now that a lot more information is in the open that at best Ben was guilty of sexual assault, but the police botched the evidence and it would have been difficult to convict. PLUS the victim was unwilling to go through the humiliation of a public ordeal where SHE would have been painted as the guilty party by the defense.

That being said the victim DOES have some responsibility allowing herself to get THAT drunk. I'm pretty sure that Rothlessberger to this day doesn't think he did anything wrong, since clearly he's been taking advantage of both his celebrity and drunk girls for a long time. That kind of sense of entitlement happens all too often in the entertainment business.

Still it seem VERY likely that he will be able to contain himself for the next 6 months so, I doubt he serves the full 6 games. But the damage HAS been done. I know a number of Steeler fans who are going to have a hard time rooting for him...ever. That is why a slim chance of him being traded is real. But he's going to be a PR nightmare for whomever decides to trade for him, and I for one don't think he's one of the top QBs in the league. He's a good QB, not a great one.

Goodell does a good job in a tough role for which he gets paid big bucks. NFL players were watching this carefully to see the League and Steeler response to misbehavior by a franchise quarterback.

Ultimately, the real sanction here is how the public in the Steel City, to their credit, have turned their collective backs on Roethlisberger's boorish behavior. That is one reason it would not be surprising to see the Steelers banish (trade) their quarterback this year.

Hes not doing time, hes suspended from his job, if I did what he did my company would fire me no questions asked. He broke the conduct rule that the NFL has and Gooddell enforces. Its two separate issues. Its not a constitutional right to play in the NFL. He saying theres no room in the NFL for thugs and I agree with him whether its a Steeler or a Patriot.

You obviously didn't read what I was responding to. He thinks he's a rapist who should be in jail for life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodell's in charge of the NFL, the NFL is a product, a private company, if someone does something to damage the image of the company he should have the right to suspend him or enforce the conduct clause that all the players abide by. Too many of these athletes are spoiled and coddled and think they can do whatever they want, and yes if a Patriot does something stupid I support the right of Goodell to suspend him too.
I would bet the owners very much support Goodell in these matters, its their product he's in charge of.

1.) Goodell's not in charge of the NFL. He's the league commissioner, nothing more.

2.) The "damaged image" crap is just that. It's crap.

3.) I disagree that a company should have a right to do as you suggest. That's part of collective bargaining, and the players should refuse to accept it.

4.) How the hell are you equating this to coddled athletes? It has nothing to do with it.

5.) I really don't give a rat's ass if the owners support it. People support a lot of stupid things. Hell, once every four years, the entire nation demonstrates its collective stupidity in the presidential elections.

You obviously didn't read what I was responding to. He thinks he's a rapist who should be in jail for life.

Gotcha, sorry I didnt see quotes in your answer so thought you were talking about something else.

1.) Goodell's not in charge of the NFL. He's the league commissioner, nothing more.

Semantics I guess, he's in charge of meting out punishment.

2.) The "damaged image" crap is just that. It's crap

I disagree, I know a lot of people that dont watch the NBA anymore because of the thuggish image they portray.

3.) I disagree that a company should have a right to do as you suggest. That's part of collective bargaining, and the players should refuse to accept it.

I disagree, the players are paid large sums of money because they have a talent, if they act like animals they should pay for that. He's lucky he's getting an opportunity to turn things around and still make gobs of money in the NFL.

4.) How the hell are you equating this to coddled athletes? It has nothing to do with it.

Has everything to do with it, some of these athletes never hear no, they always get what they want and think they can do as they please with no repercussions.

5.) I really don't give a rat's ass if the owners support it. People support a lot of stupid things. Hell, once every four years, the entire nation demonstrates its collective stupidity in the presidential elections.

I agree with you there too, but my point is Goodells probably not going away anytime soon.

Semantics I guess, he's in charge of meting out punishment.

That's 2 very important issues, though. It's not just a matter of semantics.

I disagree, I know a lot of people that dont watch the NBA anymore because of the thuggish image they portray.

Funny... the next one I meet will be the first. On the other hand, hockey was getting rid of most of the fighting in order to appeal to a broader audience. How's that worked out? The truth is that people who complain about the thugs or the fighting would have complained about something else if that wasn't there. It's an excuse, not a reason.

I disagree, the players are paid large sums of money because they have a talent, if they act like animals they should pay for that. He's lucky he's getting an opportunity to turn things around and still make gobs of money in the NFL.

The amount of money made is completely irrelevant, and the animals comment is just ridiculous. What is relevant is that a CBA addresses this stuff, and the players were so busy with other stuff in the last CBA that they missed this and it got slipped in. The personal conduct policy was an addition, not some longstanding tradition.

For the players, allowing it in, especially as it's currently worded, was a major mistake.

Has everything to do with it, some of these athletes never hear no, they always get what they want and think they can do as they please with no repercussions.

Given that people other than these athletes get into trouble for doing this same type of alleged crap all the time, it's clearly not because of the "spoiled and coddled" issues.

Hell, once every four years, the entire nation demonstrates its collective stupidity in the presidential elections.

not me...I've been writing in a dead comedian every four years since 1972

Hell, once every four years, the entire nation demonstrates its collective stupidity in the presidential elections.

==================================================

Archie bunker is a character not a real person.;)

I voted for Jerry Seinfeld once

I used to write in Pat Paulsen...since Rodney passed he's my choice.

The amount of money made is completely irrelevant, and the animals comment is just ridiculous. What is relevant is that a CBA addresses this stuff, and the players were so busy with other stuff in the last CBA that they missed this and it got slipped in. The personal conduct policy was an addition, not some longstanding tradition.

For the players, allowing it in, especially as it's currently worded, was a major mistake.

Big Ben acted like an animal by pulling out little ben. You dont think pulling your **** out whenever you get the urge to stick it in some attrractive girl you just met isnt acting like an animal then we'll have to agree to disagree.
I dont think Goodell's being unfair here, Bens lucky hes not on trial for rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes