PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Remembering Gus Frerotte...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrClutch

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I can't believe I never heard of this before, but I just recently saw it on 50 Best Damn Blunders.

"Frerotte was selected to one Pro Bowl team in 1996, but may be better remembered by an incident in which he injured himself by ramming his head into a padded cement wall in celebration of a touchdown in a 7-7 tie against the New York Giants on Sunday Night Football, spraining his neck."

That was a season ending injury. :rofl:

Sorry, but I just can't stop laughing since I've seen it.

Remembering him why? Did he die?

Yeah, it's true, and I watched the game where he scored a TD and decided to head-butt the wall at Jack Kent Cooke stadium rather than a teammate's helmet in celebration. Bad move, Gus. Up to then, he was playing very well.

Last edited:
Is every person that you remember dead?

When you start a thread stating "remembering joe blow", yes, it sounds like he died.

What brought Gus Frerotte up all of a sudden?

Just a random remembrance?

When you start a thread stating "remembering joe blow", yes, it sounds like he died.

He started the thread in response to reading 50 Best Damn Blunders. Seemed logical to me, and Gus is alive and well despite his run in with the wall at what is now FedEx Field.

Last edited:

Just after seeing the actual incident on TV recently. I thought I wrote that in my first post.

R.I.P. Gus.

Regards,
Chris

Gus Frerotte got into the Pro Bowl? Was Jeff George injured or something?

I remember Gus Frerotte because
with 4th-and-goal at the 1 last Sunday
... with 27 seconds left ...
he fumbled the snap.

A TD would have given his Rams 3 wins
vs the Niners 3.
Thus he may cost us a draft slot
... like Romo's FG fumble against the Seahawks last year.

I can't believe I never heard of this before, but I just recently saw it on 50 Best Damn Blunders.

"Frerotte was selected to one Pro Bowl team in 1996, but may be better remembered by an incident in which he injured himself by ramming his head into a padded cement wall in celebration of a touchdown in a 7-7 tie against the New York Giants on Sunday Night Football, spraining his neck."

That was a season ending injury. :rofl:

Sorry, but I just can't stop laughing since I've seen it.

I was at that game. It was the first year of FedEx field and my in-laws scored tickets from neighbors who couldn't make the game. We were visiting for Thanksgiving and thought a game at the new stadium would be sweet. The field is amazingly tall and my wife and I were in the next-to-last row in the top bowl (and these were expensive seats).

It was a windy, cold night and the game, at least what we could see of it, was awful. The Frerotte play was literally miles away from us but they showed the replay on the big screen, which was hilarious. That was the only pleasant part of the evening since it took us a couple of hours to get out of the parking area and navigate the beltway back to Reston (on the other side of DC).

This is the life of a Redskin fan. They deserve our pity, not our scorn.

I remember Gus Frerotte because
with 4th-and-goal at the 1 last Sunday
... with 27 seconds left ...
he fumbled the snap.

A TD would have given his Rams 3 wins
vs the Niners 3.
Thus he may cost us a draft slot
... like Romo's FG fumble against the Seahawks last year.

Fox cut into the end of the Lambs-Seahawks game. On 2nd down, Frerotte threw the ball at Isaac Bruce's feet, and he was only 5 yards away. That would have been an easy TD. One of the most pathetic throws I have ever seen. Eff that bum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes