Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Remember Our Vets 70 Years ago Today

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hard to beleive its been 70 years since the attack on Pearl Harbor

Say a prayer in memory of the many soldiers who gave thier lives that day - I beleive it was nearly 3,000 Military men who perished

Probably should go into the political forum perhaps,but I thought all in here should keep aware of the 70th anniversary of this sad day in US History.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,344 / 9 / -7

#75 Jersey

Count me in as one who is in favor of leaving this thread right where it is. It isn't political at all.

Very somber and humbling day. Deepest appreciation to all who have served our nation.

3. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

70 years ago today my Dad (RIP) was in his senior year of high school.

The day before, he was likely thinking about girls, job prospects, maybe studying for a math test, or even considering going to college.

24 hours later he was thinking, like every other guy 18-25 years old, about where, when, and how he was going to serve his country. Thinking about whether the high school could move up graduation day so that he could enlist sooner (they did, he did, and within 9 months he was in the Pacific theater).

Two of my uncles earned purple hearts, my dad served and as luck would have it, stayed out of the line of fire. One of my wife's uncles died in Iwo Jima, but her dad and two other uncles served and survived unharmed.

Any vets reading this, I salute you today, on November 11, on September 11, and also on all of the other 362 days on the calendar.

4. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +183 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

My father and just about adult I knew when growing up as a kid did their service in WWII. It's funny that as a kid we never thought of that. My generation and it's own war and many of us served.

It was only as adults that it really sunk in to me the size and scope and the real hardships that all these people endured during WWII. They came back and built the US into the nation that most of us are privledged to live in.

We owe these people a debt of gatitude that never can be repaid. Unfortunaltey many, many of those people are no longer with us and there are fewer with each passing day.

We have quite a few British members and although the European war for Britan started a couple of years earlier. The Asian war for them also started on 12/7/41. They too endured hell in the colonies that fell to Japan with many thuousands of them becoming prisoners and slave laborers for 4 years.

5. ATippett56

ATippett56 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +330 / 5 / -10

For those who enjoy reading military history, I highly recommend the book "At Dawn We Slept" by Gordon Prange. It is one of the best WWII books ever written especially with regards to the Pacific theater.

6. aurakilla

aurakilla Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

for the vets on this board.

Thank you for your service.

7. Frezo

Frezo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

Thanks Gwedd. Toast...:eat1:

8. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +384 / 26 / -48

#50 Jersey

Both my Grandfathers served in WWII. One was a Sgt in a Platoon that got sent to Europe to support Patton's 3rd. The other joined the Army Air Corps and was a lead Mechanic on B-17s and B-29s Both joined the service because of Pearl Harbor and the more than 2400 men and women who lost their lives that day.. I've had postings on my facebook page for the last two days..

9. captain stone

captain stone Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +234 / 45 / -22

No Jersey Selected

It's amazing, and sad, that all those brave young men who served - and in many cases, died -
    during WW2 are now 85+ years old.

And like those warriors of WW1, they too will all fade away, until only our memories of them remain.

So if anyone here knows a vet who not only survived WW2 but also spent his youth suffering through the Depression, give him a word of Thanks for a job very well done, while you still can.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.