PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT -- Reggie Bush & total yards

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechris

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is sick of hearing the total yardage stat whenever it comes to Reggie Bush, but NO other player. Seriously. I've never heard of anyone combining punt return, kickoff, recieving, and rushing yardage until Reggie came into the league. I'm willing to bet that Kevin Faulk's total yardage is close to Reggie's.

Actually, it is done pretty often with guys like Bush (Marshall Faulk, Brian Westbrook, etc.) Shouldn't Pats fans be the first to realize that yards are yards, whether they come on the ground, through the air, or on special teams? Seems pretty Belichickian to me.

And don't go into gambling:

Rushing:
Faulk: 7 car 30 yards
Bush: 54 car 170 yards

Receiving:
Faulk: 11 rec 100 yards
Bush: 34 rec 250 yards

Punt Returns:
Faulk: 10 ret 145 yards
Bush: 12 ret 132 yards

Kick Returns:
Faulk: 6 ret 126 yards
Bush: 0 0

So, counting kick returns (which is kind of cheap, since Bush doesn't do it, and EVERYONE averages 20 yards a pop):
Faulk - 401 yards
Bush - 552 yards

thechris said:
Am I the only one who is sick of hearing the total yardage stat whenever it comes to Reggie Bush, but NO other player. Seriously. I've never heard of anyone combining punt return, kickoff, recieving, and rushing yardage until Reggie came into the league. I'm willing to bet that Kevin Faulk's total yardage is close to Reggie's.

Do you really want to bet? Because Bush leads the NFL with 34 receptions. You know what I'm sick of? Hearing you guys try to diss Bush because you want to make Maroney look better. They are different kinds of players so just enjoy who you have and shut up.

Commander Shears said:
Actually, it is done pretty often with guys like Bush (Marshall Faulk, Brian Westbrook, etc.) Shouldn't Pats fans be the first to realize that yards are yards, whether they come on the ground, through the air, or on special teams? Seems pretty Belichickian to me.

And don't go into gambling:

Rushing:
Faulk: 7 car 30 yards
Bush: 54 car 170 yards

Receiving:
Faulk: 11 rec 100 yards
Bush: 34 rec 250 yards

Punt Returns:
Faulk: 10 ret 145 yards
Bush: 12 ret 132 yards

Kick Returns:
Faulk: 6 ret 126 yards
Bush: 0 0

So, counting kick returns (which is kind of cheap, since Bush doesn't do it, and EVERYONE averages 20 yards a pop):
Faulk - 401 yards
Bush - 552 yards

Thanks for proving my point. Faulk isn't even close and that includes his 126 kickoff return yards. Still want to bet? Do your homework next time before you post.

Bush beats Faulk in another catagory also...

Bush 8.5 million a year
Faulk 2.5 million a year

And since Ron brought up his favorite whipping boy...

Maroney 332 yds rushing for a 4.3 yd avg / 76 yds receiving for a 12.7 yd average/ no punt returns/ 235 yds for a 23.5 yard avg

Bush 170 yds rushing for a 3.1 yd avg/ 250 yds receiving for a 7.4 yd avgerage/ no KO returns/ 132 punt return yds for a 11 yard average

Lets get rid of KO and punt returns since they are exclusive to each player....Maroney obviously has the yardage advantage there...and we have....

Maroney 408 yards

Bush 420 yards...so it is Bush again by....12 yards and 6.75 million dollars a year (Maroney in at 1.75 million per)

If you do include the return yards (it is "all purpose yards" right?) Maroney 643 ALL PURPOSE YARDS...Bush 552 ALL PURPOSE YARDS...hhhmmmm

Ron it is clear that Maroney IS the better deal right now and unless Bush does have a breakout somehow you would have to ADD at least a few players to Maroney's production since Bush takes up almost FIVE TIMES the cap room of Maroney....I know you like to ignore the salary cap Ron but it is an NFL reality, just like corruption in your sport of boxing.

Last edited:
I must admit, I am getting tired of all the reggie bush hoopla. But, then again, I live in cali and have been hearing how great he is for several yrs now on a totally different level. I say, just let the kid play. He is an unbelievable talent. If he makes a great play, he makes a great play. The only reason IMO, that everyone hypes up his total yds. numbers is simple. Two words for ya. Fantasy football.
After seeing his rec. totals though, you have to admit, that for a rook, thats very, very impressive.

P.S. sorry for all the comas;)

You aren't the first person who I've heard complain about this and I honestly don't get why it bothers anyone. The fact of the matter is that Bush has a damn good chance of getting 1000 receiving yards and 500+ rushing yards as a rookie, not to mention if he does anything else returning punts. Bush is a great player, has he proven that he can get it done on the ground like Maroney yet? No, but he also doesn't have the Patriots line to run behind, the Saints line blows and can't block any of the cutbacks that Bush runs. One thing I noticed about his punt return TD this week wasn't that he scored it because honestly it wasn't that spectacular of a play but the fact that he actually just ran with it and didn't try to do anything fancy, in week one he would have. He's learning the NFL game, and once he stops trying to break it for a TD every touch he'll start racking up the yards on the ground, he actually had an impressive run on Sunday where he was hit three yards short of a first down and dragged the TB defender the three yards, something Bush isn't supposed to be able to do at this level according to some. Give the guy a break, the media circus does suck but it isn't like he's telling ESPN to hype him up every second.

I like Bush. I think he's doing good things for the Saints, and I don't mind the media he's getting. I don't know about you guys, but everytime I hear his name I think of New Orleans and the people there and it reminds me of the sufferings that went on there... just help me keep things in perspective..

Lets face it,Bush is and will be a media darling and Icon and will overtake Maroney in terms of compliments this rookie season no matter what Lawrence does this year-whether his stats exceed Reggie's or not,Some players seem to grab the majority of the media attention just by who they are,not always how they perform,although Bush has been pretty good but not better than #39 yet....Ask T.O. what the media will do and to which in my opinion T.O. has not shown me anything lately to put him on top of the WR position,Not even in the top 10 .

PATRIOT64 said:
Lets face it,Bush is and will be a media darling and Icon and will overtake Maroney in terms of compliments this rookie season no matter what Lawrence does this year-whether his stats exceed Reggie's or not,Some players seem to grab the majority of the media attention just by who they are,not always how they perform,although Bush has been pretty good but not better than #39 yet....Ask T.O. what the media will do and to which in my opinion T.O. has not shown me anything lately to put him on top of the WR position,Not even in the top 10 .

Right, and when you think of it that way, isn't it a good thing that Maroney doesn't get all of the attention? Think about it, anything Maroney, Addai, Norwood, etc do their rookie season is great, in the case of Bush there are just as many people who want him to fail as there are who expect him to succeed, human nature of having the story shoved down their throats I suppose, but people are almost ready to label Bush a bust 5 weeks into his rookie season because he hasn't broken a huge run yet, hell people have been dying to call him a bust since before week 1.

I dont really understand the whining about Bush. He HAS played really well. Sure he might not be running the ball but hes making lots of reception. So maybe hes a better WR than RB. Its obvious to me both of these guys are going to have great careers. Bush is the media darling so they are gonna talk about him alot more. Hey at the point, whatever positive things they can say about a NO player is great. Lets those people hold their head high when it comes to sports atleast.

Last edited:
Bush is a Marshal Faulk type of player, that is what makes him good. Maronney is an LT, and shaun alexander type of running back.

They are both good at what they do lets not nock bush. lets see how they look in about 2 years we should have a real crasp of what kind of future they will have by then.

I find it annoying that they talk about Total yards or however they word it, with Reggie Bush. To agree with the first poster, i honestly don't remember seing stats that way before either. Maybe it didn't exist, maybe we just didn't notice until this guy came along.
yeah we know he's a good talent, we know he's fast and this and that, whatever. HE DOESN'T NEED THEIR HELP. The way they talk about his stats looks like a blatant pathetic attempt to make him seem better than he is. If he is so great, why does he need this help?

I mean it's getting a little ridiculous.... the guy takes a dump and everyone reports on how smooth the crap flows out of his arse. We get it, he's good at a lot of stuff.

It's just the "experts" trying to make him look better. They realize that they were wrong and that Bush just isn't cutting it as a true running back so they're trying to make themselves look better by using every single yard he has accumulated. Okay then, so the Saints spent a number two pick on a Third down back/punt returner. Way to go guys.

rtunstal said:
Bush is a Marshal Faulk type of player, that is what makes him good. Maronney is an LT, and shaun alexander type of running back.

They are both good at what they do lets not nock bush. lets see how they look in about 2 years we should have a real crasp of what kind of future they will have by then.
Saying that Bush is a Marshall Faulk type player is an insult to Faulk. Faulk was an effective runner despite his smaller size. Bush hasn't ammounted to crap as a running back.

Alk said:
Saying that Bush is a Marshall Faulk type player is an insult to Faulk. Faulk was an effective runner despite his smaller size. Bush hasn't ammounted to crap as a running back.
Agreed.

Bush is catching some balls but nothing really special. You can't say he is like Faulk because he hasn't done crap running it.

and faulk was great at both running and catching.

Alk said:

It's about their versatility. If you look at Faulks rookie season he ran the ball 314 times for 1282, averaging 4.1 a carry, and he caught 52 balls for 522. Bush currently has 54 rushes, which averaged out over 16 games comes to approx. 173 rushes and maintaining his current YPC of 3.1 gives him approx 536 rushing yards at the end of the season. Receiving Bush has 34 for 250, averaged out over the whole season that would be 108 catches for 800 yards. So it comes down to:

Faulk- 366 touches for 1804 yards 4.9 yards/touch

Bush - 281 touches for 1336 yards 4.75 yards/touch

Going by those numbers if Bush got as many touches as Faulk he would have 1738.5 total yards, not including his punt returns. Of course this is all based on Bush's current averages remaining consistent throughout the season, he could break a few huge ones and best Faulks rookie YPT average, we don't know yet.

Even if they do the total yardage thing, take a look at my post above, Maroney has him beat.

Player, Carries Yds TD Rec Yds TD First downs Ret Yds Touches-Yds-TD

R. Bush, 45 147 0 23 187 0 15 9 57 77-397-0
L. Maroney, 60 294 3 6 76 0 19 8 190 74-560-3
D. Williams, 25 135 1 7 41 0 8 13 276 45-452-1
J. Addai, 46 207 1 11 72 1 16 0 0 57-279-2

Bush hasn't shown a consistent ability to run the ball, but anyone who has watched the Saints games can tell he's having an impact on offense. Defenses pay attention to him...a lot, in fact. The Saints have two misdirection TDs this year (a reverse and a fake end-around) in which the D overcomitted to playing Bush and got burned by the actual ball carrier. Teams routinely play nickel when he's on the field since no LB can cover him, opening up the running game for Deuce (they are on the field together quite a bit). Coverages shift to his side of the field, which has opened things on the back side for Colston. These are the things that don't show up in the stat sheet.

I give Sean Payton a lot of credit. He's installed a good offense making use of Bush's versatility, even if it means Bush is used as a decoy much of the time. The Saints are fun to watch and if they are on TV, take a look.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing