PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Refs blow it again in Eagles/Cowboys game

Status
Not open for further replies.
No-even if Pacman had went to recover it, the rulebook says once the whistle blows signaling a touchdown...here's the tricky part that's hard to understand...IF the replay shows he ended up fumbling/backward lateralling it before the ball hit the plane, then the ball gets spotted at the place where he fumbled/backward lateralled it, and gets awarded to the team who's player that did this.

Does anyone else get this?

Adam Jones ran to get the ball but the play was blown dead...but the ball was picked up by a Cowboys player

I dont really understand all the complaints about the ruling here. You can change rules all you want...you can include more things that can be reviewed and you are still going to wind up with some human error that you can't fix.

It is simple once a play is blown dead whether it be a persumed incomplete pass or a persumed touchdown it is over and no further action can effect the outcome. In both cases you could assume that the closest guy would get the ball but that wouldn't always be correct so you assume nothing and possesion remains the same. You really can't have it any other way as once a play is blown dead players will stop playing.

Even on a fumble that was ruled down by contact you can't get possession unless you had control of the ball before the whistle.

I think all calls should be subject to review. Seems arbitrary which are and which aren't.

I don't follow the logic that the ball was dead when it hit the ground because the ruling was that it was a backwards pass. Huh? Am I missing something, but since when did a backwards pass (lateral) become a dead ball when it hit the ground? Do that on any other play when you're attempting a flea flicker or screen pass or returning a kickoff, and it's a live ball, which the defense can recover and return.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not buying that explanation; sounds more like somebody trying to cya after either a quick whistle or the wrong call.

i think that it's because the whistle blew. if the refs had made the right call on the field and had not signaled a td, then you would be absolutely right. however, since the refs blew the whistle then they officially, even upon review, give the ball to dallas. it's simply against the rules.

it's exactly like the situation with cutler. if the whistle hadn't been blown, that's a live ball (backwards "lateral"), but since the whistle blew, the refs couldn't officially give the ball to san diego even though they recovered it.

The key here is why are these whistles being blown so quickly?

In the Denver game, don't blow the whistle and if it was incomplete, replay will show that.

It's almost like they are traumatized by the "tuck rule".

yeah, i have no idea why they were blowing the whistle, especially in the denver/sd game. it obviously fell out of his hand without anyone touching it, and the ball went backwards! there's no excuse for having missed that.

yeah, i have no idea why they were blowing the whistle, especially in the denver/sd game. it obviously fell out of his hand without anyone touching it, and the ball went backwards! there's no excuse for having missed that.

i think the point is NOT that the ref's blew the game. the point is that the RULEBOOK sucks. some plays are not dead on the whistle and some plays are???? WTF tell the players to play the loose balls, not to the whistle.

for gods sake, we got rid of the idiotic "non fumbles", why cant we get rid of the other idiotic plays too. NFL Rules committee blew it.

:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots