PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:recording the games in HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Went out and sprung for a 42 inch LCD flatpanel TV, and HD cable.

Saw my first games in HD yesterday. There is no substitute at all!

Question though. I was so excited about being able to record next weeks Pats game in HD. I was trying it out with the Michigan game today.

As I hooked up the output from the cable box to the recorder and had the TV setup as to see the contents from the DVD recorder(had to use s-video, it's the only input on the DVR), my TV first shows the game and it looks great, but then flashes that HDCP is not supported and does not allow me to watch any further.

So I just go back to the regular channel and it looks great, but it appears this is somehow that cable is preventing me from recording it.

Anyone know anything about this?

Your recorder has to be a hd recorder or it wont record right.

Hi guys,

Went out and sprung for a 42 inch LCD flatpanel TV, and HD cable.

Saw my first games in HD yesterday. There is no substitute at all!

Question though. I was so excited about being able to record next weeks Pats game in HD. I was trying it out with the Michigan game today.

As I hooked up the output from the cable box to the recorder and had the TV setup as to see the contents from the DVD recorder(had to use s-video, it's the only input on the DVR), my TV first shows the game and it looks great, but then flashes that HDCP is not supported and does not allow me to watch any further.

So I just go back to the regular channel and it looks great, but it appears this is somehow that cable is preventing me from recording it.

Anyone know anything about this?

S-Video can't carry an HD signal for starters.

Even once you had a cable that can carry HD, ie DVI to HDMI, you'd need something that can record HD. Google HD recorders and see what pops up, I think it's probably expensive and impractical at this point in time.

Still that S-Video should still send a letterboxed 4:3 signal to your DVR - making it look 16:9 and thus making it preferrable to just sending it a standar def cable signal. I'm also guessing that the S-Video signal will be much clearer, as well, and again a better way to go about recording the games.

I've recorded Widescreen from HDTV, but not HD...

... and it looked pretty good. I use Nero 7, just have to remember to set the input format to 16:9. If you were to watch this on a regular TV, it would be like any widescreen DVD movie, with letterboxing on top and bottom. On a widescreen TV, you can blow it up to full screen and it looks decent, though it is certainly not of the quality of HDTV.

Re: I've recorded Widescreen from HDTV, but not HD...

I don't know about HDCP but I can offer you this advice.

If you record HD to DVD, you can do it on any mainstream rig, but the catch is that you can only burn in 480i, not 1080i. The resolution in 480i is much less than 1080i. You won't get the sharp resolution you'll see live or if you save it on TiVo. There are rigs out there which will burn in 1080i, but they are very expensive and may not be able to play mainstream DVDs (i.e., they will play your burned disc but not an average movie).

This is a new and developing technology, those of you with HDTVs have to wait and let the technology catch up with you. That includes all the stations out there who either don't broadcast in HD or the availability of those stations which do.

Bob G

If you have comcast, for an extra 5 bucks a month, you can get a cable box that will record 20 hours of HD and play it back in HD (or 80 hours of non-HD).

This was a great bargain because it also makes recording programs much easier. And you can pause and rewind live TV just like TIVO.

http://www.comcast.com/shop/buyflow...=ProductDetails&ProductID=20007&Title=Comcast - Product Details - Digital Video Recorder

click on DVR

In case link doesn't work, it basically says:

Digital Video RecorderThe technology is advanced, but using it is simple. Pause any show on any channel, instantly replay live TV, watch a scene in slow motion, or rewind the show you’ve been watching. Easily record your favorite shows or an entire season, all with the touch or two of a button. And with the built-in dual tuner, you can even watch one channel while recording another. You’ll never have to worry about the hassle of videotapes again!

It lets you record without tapes, timers or a VCR.
Just highlight a program in your on-screen program guide and press record. The program is saved directly on the DVR.

It lets you record an entire season in one easy step.
With DVR, you set it once, and it remembers to record every episode for you.

It lets you pause and control live TV.

With DVR you can pause any show on any channel, instantly replay live TV, watch a scene in slow motion, rewind the show you have been watching and fast-forward back to the point of live TV.

And it lets you do it all with a touch of a button.

Though the technology is advanced, using it is simple.

Learn more about Comcast Digital Cable with DVR in your area.

Last edited:
You'll want to upgrade the recorder. . .look into getting a DVR, rather than DVD, and one with an HDMI hookup as others have said. Your TV, if it is a new model, should have multiple HDMI outputs.

Also, if you are in antenna range, there are HD receiver cards you can put in a PC that will allow you to record HD.

The Comcast DVR is great, records HD no problem. Allows a series recording (whole season of a show) and costs less than $10 bucks.

I watch most games on tape delay and can skip commercials, rewind plays, it is awesome.

If you have comcast, for an extra 5 bucks a month, you can get a cable box that will record 20 hours of HD and play it back in HD (or 80 hours of non-HD).

This was a great bargain because it also makes recording programs much easier. And you can pause and rewind live TV just like TIVO.

http://www.comcast.com/shop/buyflow...=ProductDetails&ProductID=20007&Title=Comcast - Product Details - Digital Video Recorder

click on DVR

In case link doesn't work, it basically says:

Digital Video RecorderThe technology is advanced, but using it is simple. Pause any show on any channel, instantly replay live TV, watch a scene in slow motion, or rewind the show you’ve been watching. Easily record your favorite shows or an entire season, all with the touch or two of a button. And with the built-in dual tuner, you can even watch one channel while recording another. You’ll never have to worry about the hassle of videotapes again!

It lets you record without tapes, timers or a VCR.
Just highlight a program in your on-screen program guide and press record. The program is saved directly on the DVR.

It lets you record an entire season in one easy step.
With DVR, you set it once, and it remembers to record every episode for you.

It lets you pause and control live TV.

With DVR you can pause any show on any channel, instantly replay live TV, watch a scene in slow motion, rewind the show you have been watching and fast-forward back to the point of live TV.

And it lets you do it all with a touch of a button.

Though the technology is advanced, using it is simple.

Learn more about Comcast Digital Cable with DVR in your area.

I don't know about HDCP but I can offer you this advice.

If you record HD to DVD, you can do it on any mainstream rig, but the catch is that you can only burn in 480i, not 1080i. The resolution in 480i is much less than 1080i. You won't get the sharp resolution you'll see live or if you save it on TiVo.
Bob G
Keep in mind though: this is also true of "standard widescreen" DVDs that have been widely available for years... it's top resolution is 480i, yet if you expand it to fill your widescreen TV (full screen 16:9 or else greater than 16:9 with modest letterboxing) you still get a pretty damn good picture. This is because DVD is digital and still superior or at least equal in quality to anything on TV that is not HD.

As stated, if you make a widescreen recording from an HD source onto standard DVD, you do lose HD. You will basically be producing the same thing that a standard widescreen DVD delivers: a widescreen view letterboxed in a 4:3 TV picture. And you also get a pretty damn good picture when you expand it to full screen on your widescreen TV. Trust me, because I have done this several times (Green Bay, Chicago and Jacksonville games so far, and the Tennessee game in progress).

As stated, if you make a widescreen recording from an HD source onto standard DVD, you do lose HD. You will basically be producing the same thing that a standard widescreen DVD delivers: a widescreen view letterboxed in a 4:3 TV picture. And you also get a pretty damn good picture when you expand it to full screen on your widescreen TV. Trust me, because I have done this several times (Green Bay, Chicago and Jacksonville games so far, and the Tennessee game in progress).

Yup, this is how I will be recording 24 this season.

And, like you said before, hit the zoom button and fill your 16 x 9 screen, it still looks pretty decent. It's not HD by any stretch but it's still quite solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes