PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT - Really Cool Picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukin

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Here is a picture of a map that shows NFL support for teams. Gray areas represent areas where no on voted when they made the map.

nfl_1280.gif

No Giants fans in CT? LOL.

sieglo said:
No Giants fans in CT? LOL.

well i think what it means is the majority of that area is that fan base
so the majority of all ct areas are pats fans...thats def not true
oh well

An interesting thing about this is we have the most votes, even more than America's Team in Dallas.

Truly fascinating. Thanks for posting.

Very interesting to see how some teams have obviously shrunk with lack of success while others (Chicago) haven't. You can bet that the Patriots wouldn't have had the most votes in 2000. :)

Forget all the talk about Los Angeles - its clear North Dakota needs an NFL Franchise

And what about Alaska and Hawaii?

It's times like this when colorblindness sucks.

patsfan55 said:
well i think what it means is the majority of that area is that fan base
so the majority of all ct areas are pats fans...thats def not true
oh well
Definitely NJ gAints territory.

CTPatsFan said:
Definitely NJ gAints territory.

It depends on where you live. The Giants are popular in the southwest of the state. Heck, they used to play home games at the Yale Bowl. I had friends who were Sox fans and Giants fans. But the state has more Pats fans than ever, and the northern and eastern parts are dominated by Patriots fans. 15% of the season ticket holders at Gillette are from CT.

upstater1 said:
But the state has more Pats fans than ever, and the northern and eastern parts are dominated by Patriots fans. 15% of the season ticket holders at Gillette are from CT.

A few SB victories will do that for you! :)

There is still a pretty good NJG fan population though (and I would still venture to guess that most of CT is Giants country but that gap is closing) . I know my father was a NJG fan until I, for whatever reason, became a Pats fan as a kid. The NJG had been around longer and already had a pretty good fanbase built up when the Pats came into the picture.

Some folks in CT are still stung by the whole Pats to Hartford thing (I for one was ecstatic that they DIDN'T come) and still hold it against them.

I just thought that this map was a pretty cool look at how teams still have support. It says it will be updated as people vote... which would be interesting to watch over the next few months... to see which teams grow, and which teams dont.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
You can find more info and fill in your own data at http://commoncensus.org/index.php

The Sports breakdowns are here : http://commoncensus.org/sports.php

And so far, the Patriots are far in the lead. :)

New England Patriots 1433
Dallas Cowboys 1261
Chicago Bears 1083
Pittsburgh Steelers 893
Washington Redskins 863
Green Bay Packers 801
Philadelphia Eagles 750
New York Giants 627

I would be fascinated to see the breakdown among UK NFL fans. My guess is that it would be pretty similar but with fewer for NEP and more for 9ers, Raiders and Fins (function of who were hot teams when the NFL first got popular here).

What about International fans...

Like Canuck Pats fans,no representation??C'mon guys,us folks in the Maritimes are much like New Englanders!Some of us even speak the same language!:)

Krugman said:
Like Canuck Pats fans,no representation??C'mon guys,us folks in the Maritimes are much like New Englanders!Some of us even speak the same language!:)
Lie and help Maine get out of the gray. ;)

Umm... I think they need to get more than 15,000 votes total before they publish that.

You need to get like half a million votes before that's really accurate.

Pats/Hokies Fan said:
Umm... I think they need to get more than 15,000 votes total before they publish that.

You need to get like half a million votes before that's really accurate.
Kill joy! Don't go adding reason and logic to this ;)

Mike the Brit said:
I would be fascinated to see the breakdown among UK NFL fans. My guess is that it would be pretty similar but with fewer for NEP and more for 9ers, Raiders and Fins (function of who were hot teams when the NFL first got popular here).

Well while I don't like that people in the UK picked "frontrunners" at least they stuck with the team they picked, I'll give them that.

NEM is gonna have a fit that he doesn't get his own light purple box here in Phoenix.....he would be right too....Pats fans come close to outnumbering Cards fans at the games both times they played here.

pats-blue said:
Well while I don't like that people in the UK picked "frontrunners" at least they stuck with the team they picked, I'll give them that.

Gomez or Luton will correct me, but as I recall the way it was was this.

Channel 4 had started up as the fourth channel (there was no satellite) and it had a mandate to come up with "alternatives" to the mainstream channels. So it looked for alternative sports and came up with the NFL, which was a brilliant choice. This was the early 80s and, apart from a few people who'd lived in the U.S. and, of course, ex-pats, no one knew much about "American Football". Nevertheless, there was all this TV material that the NFL were only too delighted to sell on.

The format they came up with was to show a "game of the week" on Monday evenings taken from one of the Sunday games. They showed all the plays but cut the time-outs/half-time/two minute warnings, etc., etc, so the show ran for about 1 1/2 hours. The British newspapers weren't reporting the Sunday NFL games on Monday so you could watch the game without knowing the score -- and, of course, the game they picked would always be significant and/or exciting. It still seems to me the best way to watch football on TV. The only slight disadvantage was that, if a game looked like it was headed for a blow-out there would be a miracle come-back -- if it was 27-10 going into the fourth quarter you knew that the team with 10 would most likely score 2 TDs and a FG and it would head into over-time. Else they wouldn't be showing it.

Anyway, that was an amazingly successful format which developed a surprisingly large public for football very quickly. But of course the teams that were shown mostly were the teams that were involved in the most crucial and exciting games. I don't think I can remember EVER seeing a Cards game and New England (until the 85 season) were pretty rare (I'd lived in NE for a season, so I didn't pick a team off the screen; but I did tend to root for SF and San Diego because I liked the way they played and, at least, we got to see them in some games).

So you shouldn't blame the UK public for choosing whom they did. It's just a shame that the football coverage here is now so cr*ppy that I doubt many new fans are being added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back