PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: RB Larry Johnson suspended indefinitely by Chiefs for Twitter remarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: RB Larry Johnson suspended indefinately by Chiefs for Twitter remarks

We have good running backs now. We are getting our two best back in a matter of weeks. Why would we take on this non-productive cancer?

We have good running backs now. We are getting our two best back in a matter of weeks. Why would we take on this non-productive cancer?
If Morris and Taylor were both IRed I would consider it but not as we stand now.

As for Johnson, even if KC was competitive he would still be done. Watch a K.C. game at some point this season. He looks like L.T. does now. The tread has quite obviously worn off.

Herm beat the tar out of him by putting the entire offense on his shoulders for two years. I wouldn't touch the guy if he came at the veteran minimum.

And comparisons to Dillon are way off the mark as far suggesting salvage possibilities for LJ with the Pats. Dillon was competitive and thus disgruntled in a losing/floundering organization. To my knowledge, he had no off field problems in Cincy. Unlike the Bungals, the Chiefs made the playoffs during the Priest Holmes/Larry Johnson era, and LJ nonetheless repeatedly decides to go out and commit some criminal assaults. The KC owner stated on Real Sports that he loves Johnson, but the off field antics have placed LJ at the end of his rope with KC (this episode may sever that rope). Unlike Dillon who simply needed a change of scenery to a team that knows how to win where he ultimately flourished, LJ remains a loose cannon whose present benefits as a player now are far outweighed by his status as a PR liability.

Last edited:

Herm beat the tar out of him by putting the entire offense on his shoulders for two years. I wouldn't touch the guy if he came at the veteran minimum.

Not even for a 1yr 750k deal? If he mouthes off or sucks, you cut him. No risk.

If he gives you 12 carries a game and 800 yds for penuts...Nice upside

No question his off the field and attitude are an issue. Personally, I think hes cooked, but why not bring him in for a workout?

Last edited:

Kinsey was way off, on so many levels that it would take months of discussion board conversations to cover them all. But that's neither here nor there. What Johnson did wrong was call out his coach for a lack of football playing experience. The "***" thing is just more political correctness gone wild, but belittling his coach was sheer stupidity, especially for a player who's not exactly been a brilliant runner in recent years and has a problematic history with his coaches.

Months huh?

Johnson has proven his worth in the past when KC was at least competitive

So has Antwaan Smith. You don't see us calling him up, do you?

Players decline, some earlier than others.

Not even for a 1yr 750k deal? If he mouthes off or sucks, you cut him. No risk.

If he gives you 12 carries a game and 800 yds for penuts...Nice upside

No question his off the field and attitude are an issue. Personally, I think hes cooked, but why not bring him in for a workout?

Overlooking his current stats (the offensive line is horrible so he may not be as bad as his stats), his problem has been no amount of counseling has made his extracurricular activities avoidable. He has known where he stands, apparently is one of the harder workers on the field, but then goes out and ends up mired in another legal problem. KC's management was bewildered by the pattern and had no clue what to do about it. As this problem seems more psychological than environmental, I'm not sure the Pats would be any better at dealing with him than KC has been.

As such, he may pass muster physically in a workout, but that still leaves his personal problems out there. Unless he substantially upgrades the offense with his abilities, what team wants to wait until the next PR bomb goes off involving a player just added to the roster? It is just a distraction and all players will have to answer for him, which makes him a team distraction. No competitive team needs that noise.

When he and Holmes were a tandem they were one of the toughest SOB of a running set that the NFL had seen for quite a while,Since Holmes retired and Johnson had been used in a much larger role, he has fallen on hard times and on top of that has a bad team with a QB that has been a big dissapointment thus far.

Still I wonder if the guy went to a team with a winning tradition would he come out of his slumber or maybe he is done,I don't know.

He was at his best directly after Holmes left- second best RB in the league after Tomlinson. The problem is that when you have a guy log 750 between-the-tackles carries in 2 years, he tends to wear down quickly.

This is exactly why no RB on the Patriots roster will be recording even 300 carries in a season anytime soon. It's an awesome way to take a top-tier talent and turn him into a JAG by the time he's 28. For all of you guys waiting for Maroney, BJGE, or anyone else to have a 1300+ yard season, Larry Johnson is a prime exhibit in why it won't happen. Tomlinson's another. When Adrian Peterson is a JAG 3-4 years from now, this will be why.

At this point, what LJ did in 2006 is irrelevant, not just because he would be lucky to get a quarter as many carries with us as he did then, but because he's an entirely different player now. Belichick extends RBs' careers- there's a reason why Faulk is still playing at a high level into his mid-30s, and it has a whole hell of a lot to do with the fact that he's not asked to carry the ball for long consecutive periods of time. It's why I particularly love the fact that the Pats tend to alternate RBs from drive to drive. Even now that BJGE is their top backup, they're still spelling Maroney with him for extended periods of time, and simply running the ball less. A fatigued RB is much, much more likely to get injured because he's a lot less aware of his surroundings, which can lead to getting absolutely crushed. Say what you want about Maroney, but if he stays in systems like this one, he'll have a good shot to play well into his 30s. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his productive career outspans Peterson's, Stephen Jackson's, Marion Barber's, etc. by a solid 5 years.

Last edited:

LOL, I'm sure they're somewhere but I have never met a man who I know to be gay. Not a single one. I do know one woman.

I've met a lot, especially in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, design firms, universities, or kink-friendly sexual venues.

He was at his best directly after Holmes left- second best RB in the league after Tomlinson. The problem is that when you have a guy log 750 between-the-tackles carries in 2 years, he tends to wear down quickly.

This is exactly why no RB on the Patriots roster will be recording even 300 carries in a season anytime soon. It's an awesome way to take a top-tier talent and turn him into a JAG by the time he's 28.

Which is another reason why The Herm is one of the worst coaches [not] in the nfl. He has consistently gone in and ran high priced RBs into the ground. He put 380 carries onto a 31 year old Curtis Martin. He retired a year later. He put 420 carries in a year on Johnson, and now hes down below 3ypc. Overuse like this just destroys RBs.

LOL, I'm sure they're somewhere but I have never met a man who I know to be gay. Not a single one. I do know one woman.
Thats most likely because of the crowd you associate with. Married people generally don't know many single people: same idea.

Dillon and Taylor both had way more mileage on them when we acquired them. And they were both great for us (Taylor until his injury).

Next year our RB situation is a bit cloudy with Maroney being a FA. For the right price I would not be opposed to bringing him in. Classical low price/high reward move if he can be signed for the same type of money Taylor signed for.

Dillon and Taylor both had way more mileage on them when we acquired them. And they were both great for us (Taylor until his injury).

How is load, or mileage relevant to how good they were playing with the Pats.

I wouldn't throw big money at him. But if he gets cut loose, and he's willing to take a one-year "show me" deal, he's welcome IMO. If Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris were healthy and slashing through opposing defenses, I'd say don't bother but, with only Maroney and BJGE here, a rejuvenated LJ who can even give the Pats, say, 4.0 YPC and 50-75 yards per game would be a help.
Cut loose this year you mean? Not gonna happen. He is suspended indefinitely. They don't pay him, why would they cut him?

Next off-season someone may give a late round pick for him. I hope it isn't the Pats. I don't think he is anything like Corey Dillon as one poster said, though I realize that to some people, ever Dillon and Moss are comparable to to every loser in the NFL including Laurenec Phillips, Pacman Jones, Rae Carruthers, and Maurice Clarette. Don't see it myself, but it seems that every NFL player who gets into trouble is, "Same as Moss/Dillon" to some folks.

Right now his problem is that he's stupid enough to think that it's a good idea to use a slur against 10% of the American population on a forum as public as Twitter while playing in a league as PR conscious as the NFL. I mean, seriously. That's going to cost him a lot of money.

I agree with your sentiment, but it is not necesary to inflate the numbers of gay individuals. This society is granting minority rights, but all scientific measures show that the gay population of both sexes is just under 3%, broken down as 2.5% and .4% male, female.

This is exactly why no RB on the Patriots roster will be recording even 300 carries in a season anytime soon. It's an awesome way to take a top-tier talent and turn him into a JAG by the time he's 28. For all of you guys waiting for Maroney, BJGE, or anyone else to have a 1300+ yard season, Larry Johnson is a prime exhibit in why it won't happen. Tomlinson's another. When Adrian Peterson is a JAG 3-4 years from now, this will be why.

At this point, what LJ did in 2006 is irrelevant, not just because he would be lucky to get a quarter as many carries with us as he did then, but because he's an entirely different player now. Belichick extends RBs' careers- there's a reason why Faulk is still playing at a high level into his mid-30s, and it has a whole hell of a lot to do with the fact that he's not asked to carry the ball for long consecutive periods of time. It's why I particularly love the fact that the Pats tend to alternate RBs from drive to drive. Even now that BJGE is their top backup, they're still spelling Maroney with him for extended periods of time, and simply running the ball less. A fatigued RB is much, much more likely to get injured because he's a lot less aware of his surroundings, which can lead to getting absolutely crushed. Say what you want about Maroney, but if he stays in systems like this one, he'll have a good shot to play well into his 30s. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his productive career outspans Peterson's, Stephen Jackson's, Marion Barber's, etc. by a solid 5 years.

The reason why we won't have a 1300 yard rusher anytime soon is because since Dillon left there have NOT BEEN any rushers on this team capable of that.

If you think BB had a guy anywhere near Adrian Peterson's talent or even Tomlinson's talent from years ago on this team and he wouldn't use him a lot then you are crazy.

Any type of superb athlete of a rusher on this team and Brady would not come close to throwing it 40+ times a game...unless the team was getting blown out of course.

lol! - (10 chars)

Sorry, I wasn't joking. There are several gay NFL players, and dozens who are retired. Odds are at least one KC player is gay.

How is load, or mileage relevant to how good they were playing with the Pats.

It's not. That was in response to the idea that LJ has too much mileage on him.

Overlooking his current stats (the offensive line is horrible so he may not be as bad as his stats), his problem has been no amount of counseling has made his extracurricular activities avoidable. He has known where he stands, apparently is one of the harder workers on the field, but then goes out and ends up mired in another legal problem. KC's management was bewildered by the pattern and had no clue what to do about it. As this problem seems more psychological than environmental, I'm not sure the Pats would be any better at dealing with him than KC has been.

As such, he may pass muster physically in a workout, but that still leaves his personal problems out there. Unless he substantially upgrades the offense with his abilities, what team wants to wait until the next PR bomb goes off involving a player just added to the roster? It is just a distraction and all players will have to answer for him, which makes him a team distraction. No competitive team needs that noise.

BB does not need a guy perhaps marginal anyway and on his last physical legs who suddenly one week, say in January, is unavailable because of some wierd behaviour. Save the roster spot. Keep the locker room running smoothly with Junior in charge.

Thats most likely because of the crowd you associate with. Married people generally don't know many single people: same idea.

Or just not paying attention. There are, for example, a surprising percentage of key Capital Hill Republican staffers who are gay, including in Chief of Staff positions. You'd never think they are gay because you don't stop to ask the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back