PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Randy Moss' new day job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice story, thanks. I hope he does well.

Good story. Never heard of that particular juice product before. I'm all for any kind of promotion that gets kids in particular, buying healthier products.

Last edited by a moderator:
PatsChick87 said:
I'm all for any kind of promotion that gets kids in particular, buying healthier products.
The low carb dieter in me feels compelled to point out that there's probably more grams of sugar and more calories in one of those "healthy" juices than there is in a regular, non diet coke.

The people in the article say its good for their town......just what that state needs, more minimum wage jobs......

Bill's Girl said:
The people in the article say its good for their town......just what that state needs, more minimum wage jobs......
Don't knock it. That minimum wage can buy braces for one of the employee's kid's tooth.

Bill's Girl said:

As a recent 12-year WV resident, believe me, minimum wage jobs are appreciated!

It's good to see a football player becoming somewhat of an entrepeneur and being motivated instead of makeing their money in football and never engaging in the "real world."

shakadave said:
As a recent 12-year WV resident, believe me, minimum wage jobs are appreciated!

Minimum wage is great in the places that you can actually live off of it. Mass is definitely not one of those places so people around here naturally have negative feelings about it.

Reporter: "Write the check yet, Randy?"

Moss: "When you're rich you don't write checks."

Reporter: "If you don't write checks, how do you pay these guys?"

Moss: "Straight cash, homey."

Reporter: "Randy, are you upset about the fine?"

Moss: "No, cause it ain't [expletive]. Ain't nothing but 10 grand. What's 10 grand to me? Ain't [expletive] … Next time I might shake my [expletive]."

:D

zippo59 said:
Minimum wage is great in the places that you can actually live off of it. Mass is definitely not one of those places so people around here naturally have negative feelings about it.

Yeah, that was my point. I don't know how families here in MA survive on that kind of salary, God bless them! I'm single and there is no way I could pay my rent and other monthly expenses making minimum wage. Well I could, but I would be working an 80 hour week! As it is, I make about 3x minimum wage here in MA and every month is still a struggle and that is with no kids to care for.

I would think that with all of Randy's money, he could afford to pay more than minimum! You know that whole good samaritan, random act of kindness thing?

Last edited:
To rebut:

2005 U.S. per capita: $41,500
2005 Moss salary: ~$7,000,000

Smoothie ingredients: fruit, fruit juice, various plant products (spirulina, wheat grass, etc)

Coca-Cola ingredients: carbonated water (generally waste water run through who knows what type of treatment processes), processed sugar, artificial flavors and sweeteners derived from known carcinogens.

$10,000 to avg. American: 3 months salary, pre-tax. Enough to neglect college tuition to offspring. Cost of two large screen plasma televisions sold by the millions. Cosmetic surgery by accredited surgeon. Average credit card debt. Average sum spent in legal fees by frivolous lawsuits. etc....

$10,000 to Moss: $60 to the average American. (10,000/7,000,000)*(41,500). You shouldn't have to write checks for what costs less than to bring 4 people to the movies and buy large cokes.

I, for one, would prefer to spend $4 for a smoothie made from fruit than $4 for a large tub full of chemicals with a famous logo. To denounce a man whom none of us has met, yet has thus shown consideration for a belief in the benefits of healthy life whilst simultaneously preparing himself for financial security beyond the fickle riches of entertainment to the masses, should be appreciated.

People really need to keep some things in perspective:
You accidently go before the flag man tells you: you get a dirty look, they yell, slap your hood (worst case scenario)
Randy Moss in a $200,000 car goes too soon: the flag man feigns terminal illness, the newspapers report it nationwide, lawsuit follows.

Hey, the guy is giving back to his hometown. How many can say the same?

zarakotas5 said:
To rebut:

Smoothie ingredients: fruit, fruit juice, various plant products (spirulina, wheat grass, etc)

Coca-Cola ingredients: carbonated water (generally waste water run through who knows what type of treatment processes), processed sugar, artificial flavors and sweeteners derived from known carcinogens.
Umm.. you forgot the sherbet in the Smoothie. Yummy polysorbate 80 and tragacanth... good stuff. And more to BF's original point:

Randy's favorite smoothie, the Caribbean Blend... per 12 oz:
240 Calories and 54 grams of Carbs with 48 grams of that being sugar. :eek:

Coke Classic.. per 12 oz:
132 Calories and 36 grams of Carbs.

And nice hatchet job on Coke's ingredients. It is not made with waste water, it is made with municipal water which is then filtered by the Reverse Osmosis process... a process that results in such pure water that you need to run it through some charcoal just to put minerals back in it so that it tastes good (for drinking water purposes). Same with Pepsi's waterbase. (By the way, this is done through no concern for the consumer, it's just good economics... RO water accepts carbonization and flavoring much easier because of it's purity). And regular Coke doesn't feature any "sweeteners derived from known carcinogens", it's plain sugar and mostly corn syrup.

Lemme point out that I hate sodas, and don't much care for defending them, but your post was just ridiculous. This would be such a healthier country on the whole if everybody replaced 4 or 5 of their beverages a day with plain old water.

The fruit juice and smoothie fad is a wolf in sheep's clothing. You want healthy? Skip the juice and just eat the fricken' fruit!! When you juice a fruit, you remove precisely the stuff that's good for you, furthermore it's the pulp and fiber in the fruit that slows down digestion to enough of a degree to prevent the normal insulin response you find with foods of similiar 'sugar' contents. The fructose from Apple Juice races through your system with a huge insulin spike expected from a high Glycemic Index food... the fructose from a plain old apple, however, goes through much slower with much less sugar damage to your system.

zarakotas5 said:
Hey, the guy is giving back to his hometown. How many can say the same?
Ummm... if simply owning a store or running a business in your home town meets your definition of "giving back" then I'd say many of us here can say the same.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Randy's favorite smoothie, the Caribbean Blend... per 12 oz:
240 Calories and 54 grams of Carbs with 48 grams of that being sugar. :eek:

Coke Classic.. per 12 oz:
132 Calories and 36 grams of Carbs.
Even better :

Diet Coke (or 7 Up, my choice) : 0 Calories, 0 G or Carbs.

:)

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Even better :

Diet Coke (or 7 Up, my choice) : 0 Calories, 0 G or Carbs.

:)
Even betterer : H20 baby. :D Especially if you plan on spending your life on Atkins... gotta take care of those kidneys and liver. I don't believe diet sodas hurt you in any way, but they don't do anything good for you either, pure water actually helps the old bod in many ways. Took me almost a year to kick my 12 pack of diet pepsi a day habit, but I noticed a difference and don't plan on ever going back to it.

What really shocked me though, was just HOW right you were about regular non-diet Coke being lower in sugar than the fruit smoothies. I mean, I knew you were right, but jeepers man, 48 grams of sugar in a 12 ounce beverage is unreal. There's nothing healthy about that unless you're recovering from anorexia and looking to put on some quick pounds.

Holy crap... Fruit Smoothies as a topic. When does this offseason hell end?!? ;)

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Even betterer : H20 baby. :D Especially if you plan on spending your life on Atkins... gotta take care of those kidneys and liver. I don't believe diet sodas hurt you in any way, but they don't do anything good for you either, pure water actually helps the old bod in many ways.
Yeah, I take a gallon of ice water to work every day and drink between 75% and 100% of it. Then I have more Diet 7-Up at home.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
but jeepers man, 48 grams of sugar in a 12 ounce beverage is unreal.
Might as well have a couple Snickers bars instead ;)

WHOA! I forgot this forum regards newscomers with an eye similar to sinister grimy faced villians spying a stranger in a wild west movie. So, yes, I am guilty of naivite in thinking that my particular dry sarcasm would be evident. In my perusals, I have gained appreciation for the "tone" of typed words from several regulars. I foolishly thought that the introductory declaration of $10,000=$60 set the stage for a tongue-in-cheek debate, for which I was resolutely lambasted.

That said, and this being a football forum, I will make a few statements in defense of some points evidently sensitive to those who responded.

Carcinogen may be a bit of a strong word. Mutagen is better suited, but less familiar. It is defined (simply) as a substance that alters and accelerates the degradation of the telomeres of chromosomes. Basically, the tips of the "X" and "Y" physical structures. Cells, via information encoded within these now "shrinking" chromosomes within our bodies, replicate themselves at a rate similar to the expanding national debt. Each time a mutated cell replicates, the offspring is further degraded from its original state. After a little while, the offspring cell is no longer viable and replicates out of control. This is what cancer is. Pure water itself is a mutagen, which is why eternal life is impossible. "Artificial flavoring" is a broad name for chemicals which are extremely detrimental to the viability of human cells. In Diet Coke, only because of governmental regulation, is there a warning for phenylalanine. This was a laboratory advancement made my altering an amino acid to reduce calories. Another company actually uses a chemical originally devised as a biological weapon. It shouldn't sound far-fetched. Polarizied sunglasses, GPS, and this very internet were all defense projects that found societal usefulness and life. Reverse osmosis was devised to treat, ahem, waste water. It purifies water to such a degree that, if ingested, will actually absorb vital nutrients from the vessel that consumed it. What was said about the companies is true: it isn't done out of humane concern but for fiscal reasons.

Anyway: water is the best drink, milk a close second. I do believe, actually that it's much better to get sugar and calories from fruit than soda, candy, chips, etc...And, no, I don't think Moss is, in anyway, an admirable person.

Anyhoo: I guess I'll just butt out from here on in. Sorry for intruding. Still enjoy reading your opinions on this team. I, for one, am still just giddy that they are actually good for a change.

zarakotas5 said:
...And, no, I don't think Moss is, in anyway, an admirable person.

He's a tough guy to figure out but I think Moss is a decent guy who makes bad/ill-advised decisions. SI had a really good article about him (last year, I think) and there were several threads here talking about his lifestyle. It cracks me up that he lives in a community with elderly neighbors--so he can get peace and quiet! But I admire that instead of just showing up to sign autographs at his smoothie joint, he grabbed a blender and served everyone. But then he does something boneheaded like walking off the field before the game clock runs out. If anything I would say he's more complex than anyone gives him credit for. (And also more talented, as the media will find out when Culpepper bombs this year!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back