PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Randy Cross joins NFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This doesn't particularly excite me based on his work in Patriot pre seasons... What is more disconcerting is when I click on the About link Lombardi seems to have disappeared. No offense to Brandt, but Lombardi is the little engine that drove the NFP train. Did Lombardi and NFP part company and I missed it??

Randy Cross joins the NFP | National Football Post

This doesn't particularly excite me based on his work in Patriot pre seasons... What is more disconcerting is when I click on the About link Lombardi seems to have disappeared. No offense to Brandt, but Lombardi is the little engine that drove the NFP train. Did Lombardi and NFP part company and I missed it??

Randy Cross joins the NFP | National Football Post

Yes, Lombardi left a month or two ago to go work for NFL.com and the NFL network.

Diner morning news: A difficult goodbye | National Football Post

Even without Lombardi, NFP is still one of the best NFL-related websites out there. In my opinion the only thing holding it back is that is usually not as quick to report on stories, but that's because its niche is opinion and analysis rather than reporting scores and sports news. In that regard (NFL opinion and analysis) I think they do a far better job than the other national sites.

Does this mean...fingers crossed... that this means Cross will be unavailable to do the Pats' preseason games? Any possibly that Don Criqui will retire in empathy?!?

Personally, I like Randy Cross on Sirius NFL radio, but he sucks big time as a color analyst.

Does this mean...fingers crossed... that this means Cross will be unavailable to do the Pats' preseason games? Any possibly that Don Criqui will retire in empathy?!?

Personally, I like Randy Cross on Sirius NFL radio, but he sucks big time as a color analyst.

Be careful what you wish for though, Glanville is unemployed again...

Glanville. Yikes. Hey, maybe they can get Beasley Reece!

I always remember Cross for a good line he had on an incomplete pass to Terry Glenn; he described Glenn's effort as "not a whole lot of want." Pretty much summed it up.

Don't get me wrong, Glanville was a trainwreck, but he is certifiably insane which at least at times made him an entertaining trainwreck because you couldn't believe the crap coming out of his mouth.

Cross on the other hand is just a bore as an analyst. The most controversial thing he might say is something like "I bet Brady would like that pass back."

Personally, I don't want either guy, but give me Glanville over Cross. Both are going to butcher the broadcast, but at least Glanville can give you an occassional unintentional chuckle every once and a while.

I have to say watching Collinsworth freak out because he was physically afraid of Glanville on Inside the NFL when they were both on was kinda funny.

It was clear from the beginning that Lombardi was using NFP as a springboard to a consistent media presence somewhere. While not the best writer, I enjoyed his work and hope his NFL.com stuff is as fun to read.

I don't think NFP is ruined without him; Bowen, Brandt and Bechta can all come up with interesting tidbits from time to time, and I'm sure Randy will be no different. What makes the site great is the willingness to expose the underbelly of the sport in an informative way that PFT is much too cursory for. Hopefully they find a couple more writers to fill the void left by Lombardi.

Wonderful !!

I hope Kraft hires him as quickly as possible.

I got very tired of Randy Cross not knowing or caring enough, to learn the player's names or talents. Jerry Glanville works hard, and combines a certain in-your-face, "Johnny Most" atitude, that certainly helped and added to the Celtics winning mystique. I'd like to see more of that in a Pats home(r) anouncer.

More importantly, as an ex-NFL Head Coach, he knows what he is seeing and can accurately judge who did what. Was it a good route or just poor coverage, on a reception? Was it good blocking, or a RB great instincts, on a long run? Was it a good pass rush that resulted in a sack, or good scheme, or poor blocking?

I get so weary of every play being announced as a "Great Play", when many are not. Plus Glanville has the gonads to say what he thinks.
He knows NFL means... Not For Long. :rocker:

PS: Too bad, I don't get paid to be his Publicist.

If he is still working for CBS I highly doubt that he will be gone from Patriots broadcasts...unless he doesn't want to do them anymore or doesn't have the time to do them he's gonna be in the broadcast booth this preseason.

Glanville is the pits. In more ways than one. I guess that explains his availability. Hopefully the Krafts don't outdo themselves, as is their MO when it comes to managing their media unit... They'd be better served to promote some invested local media talent to handle these locally produced pre season games. Utilizing some in house talent might really make the games more enjoyable. Those guys have watched throughout camp and have some basis for commentary. National mediots don't have a clue what goes on here and don't gain much insight in a handful of pregame sitdowns so once the starters are out they shift gears and meander to the point the game becomes just a backdrop for their on air NFL dissertations.

Find Cross snobbish and boring, Glanville is at least colorful...

Do think that they could do better with a preseason broadcast team.. Felger and Borges???;););)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back