PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Raiders/Pats - Bad roughing the passer call

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I remember most about that game was the way Madden was riding the refs. It was unremitting, unrelenting and started from the first kickoff, and lasted until the players were on the way into the locker rooms.

I always felt that it was because of that that the refs let Villapiano get away with his piggy-back ride of Russ Francis.

Still, they were up 21-10 late in the 3rd, and they do have to accept some responsibility for letting that substantial lead evaporate.

Now that I think of it, they did get a small measure of revenge in '85 with the famous (infamous?) post game scuffle with Billy Sullivan's son and Matt Millen ("All I know is, we're working next week, and you're not!"). I enjoyed that moment.

The thing I remember most about that game was the way Madden was riding the refs. It was unremitting, unrelenting and started from the first kickoff, and lasted until the players were on the way into the locker rooms.

I always felt that it was because of that that the refs let Villapiano get away with his piggy-back ride of Russ Francis.

Still, they were up 21-10 late in the 3rd, and they do have to accept some responsibility for letting that substantial lead evaporate.

Now that I think of it, they did get a small measure of revenge in '85 with the famous (infamous?) post game scuffle with Billy Sullivan's son and Matt Millen ("All I know is, we're working next week, and you're not!"). I enjoyed that moment.

that moron millen should have been arrested for assault with a deadly weapon when he swung and struck sullivan in the head with his helmet. millen is a scumbag.

brady0119.gif

Oh, wait. I misread the title as non-call.

Carry on.

Nope, won't do that. Give the raiders credit for scoring to make it 21-17, they were a good team after all. But if it weren't for the series of bad calls by the refs, the pats would never have been in danger of losing that game.

do you think we would have won that year Super Bowl if we would have won @ Oak ?

for what i read it seems so...

it should have been amazing; i can imagine that all NE area would have celebrated at best

i would have been very happy for all the awesome players we had on that period

i hope they are happy now to see the actual Pats be so strong

do you think we would have won that year Super Bowl if we would have won @ Oak ?

for what i read it seems so...

it should have been amazing; i can imagine that all NE area would have celebrated at best

i would have been very happy for all the awesome players we had on that period

i hope they are happy now to see the actual Pats be so strong
I think we would have won the SB. Oakland went on to beat Pittsburgh, 24 -7, easy game because Pittsburgh lost both of their running backs, Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, in their game against the Colts the same weekend when the Pats were playing Oakland. Then, Oakland beat the Vikings easily, 32 - 14, as the Vikings were no match for whatever team got in from the AFC (kind of like lately, the AFC is always winning). That was our year, until it got taken away from us in the Oakland game. But, nobody can take away SB 36, 38 and 39.

Edit, it was California wine, but pretty good. :eat2:

Last edited:
I think we would have won the SB. Oakland went on to beat Pittsburgh, 24 -7, easy game because Pittsburgh lost both of their running backs, Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, in their game against the Colts the same weekend when the Pats were playing Oakland. Then, Oakland beat the Vikings easily, 32 - 14, as the Vikings were no match for whatever team got in from the AFC (kind of like lately, the AFC is always winning). That was our year, until it got taken away from us in the Oakland game. But, nobody can take away SB 36, 38 and 39.

grazie; so you confirm me what i read.

i hope that the 'old' Pats players are happy for the 'actual' ones but a little envy could be 'human'...

anyway we had also in the past some good years with good players and competitive teams (like 1976-1978)

Edit, it was California wine, but pretty good. :eat2:

As I remember it (cough, cough) the Vikings had the better team on paper, no? I remember their loss as a big flop. I mean they had Fran Tarkenton and a great defense.

Nope, won't do that. Give the raiders credit for scoring to make it 21-17, they were a good team after all. But if it weren't for the series of bad calls by the refs, the pats would never have been in danger of losing that game.

i think after the roughing the passer call the refs moved the ball to the 2 or 3 yard line and one of the patriots kept moving it back, pretty much saying it was a bs call. i can't remember if that was sugar bear or who or if we got a penalty for doing that.

i think that there were some penalties against the Patriots after that call

As I remember it (cough, cough) the Vikings had the better team on paper, no? I remember their loss as a big flop. I mean they had Fran Tarkenton and a great defense.
Yes, they might have even been favored (Vikes) over the Raiders because of their defense (Purple Gang), and Tarkenton, as you say. I count 5 hall of famers on that team. The Raiders were due though, having come close in a few of the prior years. The Pats could possibly have fallen down for lack of experience in really big games. Chuck Fairbanks was the coach. Hmm. Always have contempt for that guy for the way he about deserted the team in 1978. I guess the super bowl could have gone either way if the Pats had got in. We'll never know.

Yes, they might have even been favored (Vikes) over the Raiders because of their defense (Purple Gang), and Tarkenton, as you say. I count 5 hall of famers on that team. The Raiders were due though, having come close in a few of the prior years. The Pats could possibly have fallen down for lack of experience in really big games. Chuck Fairbanks was the coach. Hmm. Always have contempt for that guy for the way he about deserted the team in 1978. I guess the super bowl could have gone either way if the Pats had got in. We'll never know.

the pats would have definitely won that superbowl and the vikings were the purple people eaters (sorry, not being a jerk).

i think after the roughing the passer call the refs moved the ball to the 2 or 3 yard line and one of the patriots kept moving it back, pretty much saying it was a bs call. i can't remember if that was sugar bear or who or if we got a penalty for doing that.

Penalty was on safety Prentiss McCray.

The Raiders only loss that season was the 48-17 stomping in NE.

Had the Patriots hung on to beat Oakland, the AFC championship game would have been played at Pittsburgh despite the fact the New England was 11-3 and the Steelers were 10-4 (including a loss to the Patriots). This was because Ne was the wild card team while Pittsburgh won their division.

I was unable to speak for 48 hours after the game and didn't stop brooding about the outcome until the ball went through Bill Buckner's legs almost ten years later.

Penalty was on safety Prentiss McCray.

Yes, the Pat that moved the ball back several times was Prentice "No Way" McCray. The ref let it go once but had to throw a flag after "No Way" did it again.

This thread is really bringing back bad memories. Its so enjoyable to be a Pats fan now. These are times to cherish.

:singing: :singing: :singing:

i am still waiting paybacks to CHI and GB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes