PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Raiders/Pats - Bad roughing the passer call

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing on Youtube ?

The ref did such a one sided job from beginning to end that he never officated another game again.

Actually he never officiated another Pats game again but he was in the league for another 15 years (until he was fired for refusing to move to the replay booth at age 65 and sued the NFL for age discrimination and won IIRC) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Dreith

Last edited:
Jog my memory..

what year was it?

does anyone have the video/you tube of it?
1976 in the divisionals. If you have the first "3 Games to Glory" you can see it on there.

Edit: Actually, it might be the SB 36 DVD, not 3GtG.

Last edited:
I rate it as the worst loss in franchise history because they were our first SB-Quality team, and they were eliminated by a bad judgment, not a bad rule.

Dreith still sticks by his call. I'm not sure we'd expect anything else, but I'd like to know what other officials watching the replay think. I cannot imagine that they'd support that call.

nothing on Youtube ?
Pat, I did a search using Sugar Bear Hamilton, Kenny Stabler, Ben Dreith, 1976 Oakland Raiders - New England Patriots playoff, and a few other keywords on Youtube, and nothing came up. To describe it, Sugar Bear comes in with one hand and arm high and he hits Stabler, maybe in the helmet, but there was no hitting opposing player on the helmet penalty back then. It was definitely after the ball was gone. I remember when I saw it on TV, it was like your life flashing in front of your eyes:

1. They shouldn't call a penalty on that.
2. The way they've been calling stuff all game, they probably will call it.
3. Oh, sh*t!

Why do you have such a desire to see this infamous play? After that, and the Patriots losing, I drank so much red wine my wife threw me out of the house. :(

I was only 2 at the time but my father tells me the story of the game at least twice during every football season. There were apparently 2 other plays while the Pats were on offense late in the 4th quarter that were also memorable...in a bad way...for Pats fans.

1. Russ Francis got both arms pinned at his side while trying to catch a pass and no pass interference call was made.

2. Sam Bam ran out of bounds on 3rd down 2 yards yards from the stick instead of plowing ahead for a 1st down that would have won the sealed the win, as the Raiders never would have had the ball again.

I didn't even see the game and it still pisses me off. Looking at the roster, that team was loaded.

The Pats thumped the Raiders earlier in the season, 48-17. And after beating the Pats on a bad call, the Raiders easily beat the Steelers and then the Vikings. The '76 Pats, no doubt, would have done the same. Made Dreith's call even harder to take.

Being it was the nation's 200th birthday, I had thought '76 was the year for the Patriots. Made the tuck call all the sweeter.

IIRC, we had stomped the Steelers earlier that season as well.

We didn't exactly "stomp" the Steelers that year, we won on a last second missed FG by the Steelers, who were banged up pretty good at the time with quite afew injuries.

Francis also got his nose broken by a cheap shot, but noone saw that. I remember D and C had Dreath on afew years ago and the raging ******* was so friggin arrogant about that game is was frightening, he basically all but admitted he was in the Raiders back pocket that day, what a sin.

I remember that game like it was yesterday, that 76 team was absolutely loaded with talent, that and 78 should have been two Super Bowl wins...................

Pat, I did a search using Sugar Bear Hamilton, Kenny Stabler, Ben Dreith, 1976 Oakland Raiders - New England Patriots playoff, and a few other keywords on Youtube, and nothing came up. To describe it, Sugar Bear comes in with one hand and arm high and he hits Stabler, maybe in the helmet, but there was no hitting opposing player on the helmet penalty back then. It was definitely after the ball was gone. I remember when I saw it on TV, it was like your life flashing in front of your eyes:

3. Oh, sh*t!

Why do you have such a desire to see this infamous play? After that, and the Patriots losing, I drank so much red wine my wife threw me out of the house. :(

grazie for yr description; i would like to see it as a 'famous call' in our history and you know i like our whole history

ps = i hope you drank italian wine...

I was only 2 at the time but my father tells me the story of the game at least twice during every football season. There were apparently 2 other plays while the Pats were on offense late in the 4th quarter that were also memorable...in a bad way...for Pats fans.

1. Russ Francis got both arms pinned at his side while trying to catch a pass and no pass interference call was made.

2. Sam Bam ran out of bounds on 3rd down 2 yards yards from the stick instead of plowing ahead for a 1st down that would have won the sealed the win, as the Raiders never would have had the ball again.

I didn't even see the game and it still pisses me off. Looking at the roster, that team was loaded.

i read a lot on point 2; San Bam should have close that down (damn...)
i would have really be happy if our franchise got a Super Bowl also in Sullivan hera

After that play by Sam Bam Cunningham, I had no more respect for him as a player.

After that play by Sam Bam Cunningham, I had no more respect for him as a player.

so i can imagine it was a 'bad play'...

pity...

That was a terrible play, but Sam Bam was a terrific back. Kevin Faulk had a nearly identical play this year. I would not be too hard on him, being human and all. Brady threw an interception in the AFC Championship.

probably if we would hv won the Super Bowl in '76 we could have had a very good 'period' for some years due to the talent we had on that team

very very sad...

3. Oh, sh*t!

To clarify, yes the ball was gone, but it was close enough that Hamilton's hit affected the pass. It was a desperation heave that fell harmlessly short of its intended target. Hamilton's hit was rough enough that I think it would have been a legit late-hit call if Stabler had completed his follow through, but the key was, it was close enough that it affected the pass which made it a legitimate hit.

We didn't exactly "stomp" the Steelers that year, we won on a last second missed FG by the Steelers, who were banged up pretty good at the time with quite afew injuries.
That last second field goal was from only 30 yards out, and it would have tied the score at 30.

Yup, the Steelers were banged up, but it was an early season game AT Pittsburgh, and really set the Pats flying. The very next game was the Oakland stomping.

probably if we would hv won the Super Bowl in '76 we could have had a very good 'period' for some years due to the talent we had on that team

very very sad...
Nah, the Sullivans would have found some way to screw it up. The players probably would have demanded even bigger contracts, and Chuckie would have puked.

God bless Robert Kraft. OK, and the salary cap.

Not surprised you can't find anything on Youtube, though. I have searched all over the internet for a copy of this game for the same reason as you desire to see that play, and have come up empty. I do have a copy of the MNF game vs the Jets that season, so the technology was there. But keep asking, and perhaps someone will sneak it on there from the SB36 DVD.

If the NFL has anything in its archives, I think they would have a gold mine. I wish they would clean up and start releasing classic games on DVD. What have they got to lose?

Exactly.
He was dead to me when he did that. Dead to me.

Then the Russ Francis play where the LB grabbed both biceps and the ball bounced off his chest with no PI call.

Culminating in Ben "Osama" Dreith's absurd RTP call. I have a friend who jumped up, smashed the coffee table into smithereens driving his aged Italian grandmother into a frightened frenzy of excited Italian screaming. She had no clue as to what had provoked her mild mannered 245 LB grandson into a fury.

what a game must have been...

as far i read about it all our players were more or less furious, crazy at the end of the game

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye