Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 8:50 p.m. EST, November 26, 2006
RAIDERS GET SCREWED!

We've received a flurry of e-mails from irate Raiders fans, and we've seen highlights of the play that has Raider Nation up in arms.

And we fully agree with them on this one.

With the Raiders leading (surprisingly) 14-7 and less than twelve minutes to play in the game, the Chargers were facing fourth down and two yards to go at the Oakland 40. San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers threw a 13-yard pass to receiver Vincent Jackson, who got up and pulled a Plaxico Burress, spiking the ball without having been touched down. (Just last week, the Colts believed that Cowboys tight end Anthony Fasano had done the same thing, but a replay review showed he was down by contact.)

The Raiders recovered the ball. So it was Raiders ball, right?

Wrong.

After a 10-minute discussion among the zebras, the ruling wasn't that Jackson had fumbled, but that he had thrown an illegal forward pass.

An illegal forward pass! Are you f--king kidding me?

End result? The Chargers kept the ball, with a five-yard penalty.

It was, without question, the worst, stupidest, most bone-headed, nonsensical call we have seen in the NFL. Ever. We don't know whether the officials generally are out to screw the Raiders, but if they are we suggest a tad more subtlety.

And we suggest that the entire officiating crew summarily be fired. Every one of them. Mike Carey, Garth DeFelice, Steve Stelljes, Mark Perlman, Tom Fincken, Bill Schmitz, and Buddy Horton. Though the referee is ultimately responsible for the decision, the fact that not one of the other officials was able to coerce some sense into Carey on such an obvious blunder means that none of them is fit to wear the black hat and the funky striped shirt.

Last edited:
I remember this rule being applied many years ago. In 1976, when Mike Haynes was a rookie, he was returning a punt in a pre-season game. I think it was in some less than perfect field and he returned the punt to the 5 yard line, and thinking it was a touchdown, spiked the ball. It was ruled an illegal forward pass, and the Patriots were awared the ball after a 5 yard penalty.

I wonder if it is like the tuck rule that ANY forward flip is considered a pass, and any backward flip is a lateral (and thus a fumble)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes