PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Question for the Jets Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only two QB's were able to throw against the Jets secondary with success. You're own fan favorite Tom Brady & you're own fan hated Peyton Manning. So why will Joe Flacco be able to do that against an IMPROVED secondary? Explain the logic here good sir.

Why is it an improved secondary? Cromartie and Revis have never played together before, and Revis is bound to be a bit off with his timing. Also, you had some turnover at safety, correct?

It is most likely that the Jets' secondary will regress from last season. Rhodes hasn't been replaced, Cromartie isn't all that good, and Revis was performing something crazy like 3 full standard deviations above the mean. Even if he continues to play at last year's level, teams will simply throw at him less.

Of course, OTOH, the pass rush should be better than last season, since the Jets got relatively few sacks for the consistency of pressure that they were generating. So in my rough estimation, I'd say that some progress with the pass rush and regression in the secondary means that the defense on the whole should be about equal to last year's.

I'm not sure about that last part. The Jets really don't have much individual pass rush talent. Pace has never been a top pass rusher, Thomas is awful, Taylor over the hill. Ellis is the only guy on the DL that is decent and he isnt exactly a stud.
They generated pressure with scheme. (And run D allowing down and distance to scheme) This is the NFL and taking teams by surprise with scheme works once but rarely as well the second season.
There is a very real possibility that after they have been studied on film a full offseason, they would have to greatly improve the talent to get the same result.
Here is an example. Revis was thrown at among the top few most times in the NFL. The Jets, no doubt schemed to direct passes in his direction, but OCs are going to see how that was done and change it up, such as Welker tearing them to shreds in game 2 last year.

I think the Jets will win. Neither team scoring more then 17 points. Sanchez will look decent against the Baltimore's secondary. When in reality the defense is who wins the game.

lololololololololololololol

wait

lolololololololololololololol

You try hard, Andy. You really do.
I guess thats easier than actually having to come up with a real rebutal.

I keep forgetting, every new player is an allpro and every one that left is a slug and every player on the team will be great because Rex said you are a good team, and thats all that matters. In fact teams are going to lose on purpose because Rex proclaimed it.

Dude, Cromartie sucks. And if you dont value my opinion take it from the Chargers coaches and management who saw him play for 4 years and didnt want him on the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess thats easier than actually having to come up with a real rebutal.

I keep forgetting, every new player is an allpro and every one that left is a slug and every player on the team will be great because Rex said you are a good team, and thats all that matters. In fact teams are going to lose on purpose because Rex proclaimed it.

Dude, Cromartie sucks. And if you dont value my opinion take it from the Chargers coaches and management who saw him play for 4 years and didnt want him on the team.

you mean the same Chargers coaches that every NE fan here says they are garbage and overated in reaction to the the Jets playoff win?

you mean the same Chargers coaches that every NE fan here says they are garbage and overated in reaction to the the Jets playoff win?
If Cromartie had any interest in tackling, those coaches would have won that game.

yes , it was Cromartie's fault that rivers played like crap and the kicker choked.

yes , it was Cromartie's fault that rivers played like crap and the kicker choked.
If Cromartie made any effort to tackle Green it wouldnt have mattered.
In any event, if your assessment is correct and it was Rivers and Kaeding, how does that bring the coaching staff distaste for keeping Cromartie into quesiton?

because you cant have it both ways
you(not you presonaly,the pats fan base in this website) claim after the Jets beat them that Chargers coaches suck(and they do,they played right into the Jets game plan and were out coached all game long)

and now claim that Cromartie suck because the Chargers coaches think that way,in my opinion if the coaches suck then maybe its ture that they were not using Cromartie the right way,after all...they are terrible...

because you cant have it both ways
you(not you presonaly,the pats fan base in this website) claim after the Jets beat them that Chargers coaches suck(and they do,they played right into the Jets game plan and were out coached all game long)

and now claim that Cromartie suck because the Chargers coaches think that way,in my opinion if the coaches suck then maybe its ture that they were not using Cromartie the right way,after all...they are terrible...
I guess you can mix arguments to prove anything.
The Chargers lost because the kicker uncharacteristically tanked, and Cromartie had no heart. Otherwise it was a football game.
None of that has to do with the ability of the Charger coaches, who have had much, much more success than Rex Ryan (they lost an AFCC game too, but they didnt get a gift into the playoffs) to evalute a player.

I guess you can mix arguments to prove anything.
The Chargers lost because the kicker uncharacteristically tanked, and Cromartie had no heart. Otherwise it was a football game.
None of that has to do with the ability of the Charger coaches, who have had much, much more success than Rex Ryan (they lost an AFCC game too, but they didnt get a gift into the playoffs) to evalute a player.

the Chargers lost because they were out played and out coached.

the entire year the Chargers were high octane offense who scored a lot.
Rex Ryan's game plan stoped that offense and the score was in the teens,the Jets could not match the Chargers scoring so they had to make sure the style of the game to be low scoring and ugly so they have a chance to win in the fourth qaurter
they did just that and thats what won the game

The jets secondary has improved significantly. Cromartie and Wilson are better then sheppard and lowery.

You are right sheppard was better then he was credited for, when he played and was healthy. The problem here was he was never healthy. So Strickland, Cole, lowery were on the field.

Rhodes, who pats fans have been claiming as garbage for three seasons, is suddenly irreplaceable. He was in effective last year and tackles like cromartie.

The whole scheme is figured out argument is also over played. Rex has been running this defence for five years now. Baltimore's D is still very good despite teams knowing what's going on.

Is the pats offense going to struggle now that teams have a year of tape on it?

Also is the pats secondary improved now their #1 is cb is on IR and the rookie is now #2 and starting?

Also the second meeting of the pats Brady definitely played much better. But Sanchez also turned the ball over 5 times, including a pick 6. You don't win many games when you turn the ball over that many times.

The jets secondary has improved significantly.

Do you think the Jets will be able to run against the Ravens? What about the passing game? What are the real keys, in your opinion?

i think the Jets will be able to run very well, also think LT catching passes from the back field will be huge in this game for the Jets

i dont see the Jets going down field a lot in this game,they will try to isolate Keller ver. a LB and use that as the focal point of the passing game.

Brees was okay, and Garrard had a rating of 101.

That aside, the big difference is a season's worth of tape. Please note that the two QBs you mentioned lit the secondary up the second time they played. That and the fact Baltimore's got three Pro Bowl receivers and a nasty running back should give you pause.

I swear, I have no idea why Jets fans are so ****y. Last year, they feasted on a ridiculously weak schedule/rollover games. The only good teams you played were NE1 (win), NO (loss), NE2 (got lit up), Cinci (win), SD (win because Kaeding couldn't make a FG), and Indy (got lit up). But if Indy had any guts, you wouldn't even had those last three.

The second time the Jets played the Patriots there were three differences than the first time: 1) You guys had Wes Welker back in the fold (who killed us). 2) Mark Sanchez had 5 turnovers. 3) Kris Jenkins wasn't playing. You'll note that Maroney had a much better time of it when it came to running the ball in the 2nd game. I'm not saying if the Jets had a turnover free Sanchez & Kris Jenkins they would have won the game. I bring the point up because it's not about having tape necessarily.

The 2nd game vs The Colts should tell you that's nothing about studying scheme as much as it is players just getting beat. Manning didn't find players wide open in the secondary for the most part, he was throwing precise passes over receivers who got past the corner-backs.

I forgot about Garrard...he did have a good day.

And pray tell good sir...what quality teams did New England beat last year?

Baltimore.... won 1st game, lost the 2nd one
I guess we can't count the Jets since they were were so lucky to even be alive.
Ummm who else: Oh yea played NO and got lit up...Played the Colts very close (I give credit where credit is due), but still lost. That is about it.

But let's get back onto the topic of the thread and discuss the Ravens who were 9-7 last year. Who did they beat that was so impressive last season?

They beat the Chargers last season (just like the Jets), The Pittsburgh Steelers & the New England Patriots in the playoffs.

Do you think the Jets will be able to run against the Ravens? What about the passing game? What are the real keys, in your opinion?

I know you were asking someone else...but please allow me to post.

Keys to the game for the Jets to win.

1) Mark Sanchez, must take risks but be efficient while doing so. The Ravens are probably going to stack the box and dare Sanchez to beat them. I believe he can, but he'll have to mix it up & trust what he sees. The biggest problem Sanchez has is that he doesn't trust his eyes yet. He sees the coverage and thinks about it for a split second before he throws the ball. That pause allows the defender to change his position. This is what occurred during the preseason game vs the Redskins. Sanchez had Keller open a bit. Sanchez saw this...yet paused to make sure his eyes weren't fooling his brain. That pause allowed Landry to jump the route.

2) Stop ray Rice. The games in which QB's had good games vs the Jets (last year) was in part because they were able to run the ball with some effectiveness.

Chad Henne had a first game vs the Jets...the wildcat killed the Jets.
Tom Brady had a good second game vs the Jets....Maroney ran wild
Peyton Mannings second game...Joseph Addai averaged 5 YPC
David Garrard had a QB rating of 101 vs the Jets....MJD was hurting feelings that game.

One thing to note is that NT Kris Jenkins only played in the Miami game above mentioned; meaning, he will be back to face the formidable Ray Rice. I believe that the Ravens will NOT be able to run up the middle of the Defensive line with Jenkins there and as a result will have to run left or right. This presents a unique problem for the Jets: RDE! If Bryon Thomas plays RDE he will get pushed around because he is not heavy/strong enough to hold the point of attack, yet he is an above average pass rusher. However, with Vernon Gholston playing RDE he will NOT get pushed around because he is heavier/stronger than Bryon Thomas. But the pass rush the Jets need from Gholston hasn't shown in the regular season and as such will suffer. This is compounded further because Jason Taylor, who would have been used to fill the void at RDE temporarily will have to play OLB due to Calvin Pace's injury.

3) Protect RG Matt Slauson! The weak point of the Jets offensive line is Alan Faneca replacement Matt Slauson. You know the Ravens will stunt towards Slauson, apply blitz pressure towards Slauson, try to get Slauson to flinch and cost the Jets 5 yards, force him into a holding penalty and cost the Jets 10 yards. His right & left (D'Brickashaw Ferguson & Nick Mangold respectively) will have to not only fight off their own assignment but protect the newb in the middle of the veteran sandwhich. With Mangold having to fight off pro-bowler Haloti Ngata all by himself, the job will most likely fall on Ferguson.

And those are the Jets keys to the game.

The weak point of the Jets offensive line is Alan Faneca replacement Matt Slauson. You know the Ravens will stunt towards Slauson, apply blitz pressure towards Slauson, try to get Slauson to flinch and cost the Jets 5 yards, force him into a holding penalty and cost the Jets 10 yards. His right & left (D'Brickashaw Ferguson & Nick Mangold respectively) will have to not only fight off their own assignment but protect the newb in the middle of the veteran sandwhich. With Mangold having to fight off pro-bowler Haloti Ngata all by himself, the job will most likely fall on Ferguson.

And those are the Jets keys to the game.

With Mankins out, New England is going to be in that same position against the Ravens. Light and Koppen will have to help Connolly. The problem for both AFCE teams is going to be that the Ravens can send Ngata AND Cody right up the middle, and I'm not sure either offensive line is going to be able to hold up against that onslaught.

This figures to be a blood match. Even before Ray Ray spoke out I thought that the Ravens must have been watching hard knocks and fuming. They will be steamed and destroy the Jets. Or at least I hope so. Ideally they destroy each other.

And pray tell good sir...what quality teams did New England beat last year?

The Pats had a disappointing year, by their and our standards, and we recognize that some things need some work. Pats fans aren't thumping their chests like gorillas and players aren't talking about being the NFL's version of the Miami Heat (this, incidentally, coming from the guy who's done nothing for two years, including against the team he just got traded to).

Apparently no one remembers this, but the Pats are the reigning division champs (if the Colts decided to play, and the Pats actually cared about the Houston game, they would have won it by three games) and smoked the soon-to-be-champs the second time around.

You know how often they trot out that fact?

Never. They shut up and play.

The Jets are that fat guy who never got laid who finally gets himself in decent shape and now kisses his biceps in the mirror, and the fans are taking their cues from them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye