PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Question about NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Sorry for the OT thread. Wasn't sure where else I could put this and still get an answer.

Anyway here's the deal.

I'm dying to get rid of my cable TV subscription with Comcast. The only reason I have it is for football. I'd like find a solution and I'm sure someone already has this figured out.

I was considering a streaming solution from a PC server hooked to my TV. However when I went to investigate NFLN subscriptions and fees I was hopelessly confused by their web site. Does anyone use this now and if so, what package do you have and what kind of fees can I expect?

Thanks in advance!

Check PM. This is the only post I am making in this thread. If everyone wants what I gave Haley, contact Haley and not me.

Sorry for the OT thread. Wasn't sure where else I could put this and still get an answer.

Anyway here's the deal.

I'm dying to get rid of my cable TV subscription with Comcast. The only reason I have it is for football. I'd like find a solution and I'm sure someone already has this figured out.

I was considering a streaming solution from a PC server hooked to my TV. However when I went to investigate NFLN subscriptions and fees I was hopelessly confused by their web site. Does anyone use this now and if so, what package do you have and what kind of fees can I expect?

Thanks in advance!
Are you deciding to get rid of just Comcast, or any cable/television provider altogether?

What are the cable alternatives other than Comcast where you live? Is a satellite service such as DirecTV or Dish Network an option where you are?

I know the NFLN has partnered with some phone companies to deliver streams to your phone - see Verizon and NFL Mobile: The Evolution of Fandom and NFL Mobile Kicks Off With Verizon Wireless In April - but for some reason I was under the impression it was only available via subscription on your PC outside the US.

I would think cable providers would not want people to be able to bypass them to watch NFLN, as part of the agreement between those two, but if perhaps you already subscribed to their service, then you could watch on your PC; for example, cable providers and espn currently do this with the espn3 product.

Now I don't know if that is for fact the case; that's just what I thought the situation was with getting the NFLN.

Along these lines Brighthouse my cable TV provider in Florider refuses to carry NFLN

Along these lines Brighthouse my cable TV provider in Florider refuses to carry NFLN

No other options such as Verizon or Knology or DirecTV where you are/were?

Anyway here's the deal.

Thanks in advance!

As others have mentioned, if you have the option to get Directv, that's the way to go. You will not only be able to watch NFLN, you will also be able to receive 'Sunday Ticket,' which enables you to see any/every game throughout the NFL as you choose.

Not sure if this is helpful to your specific situation, but it may be something that you may want to consider.

Are you deciding to get rid of just Comcast, or any cable/television provider altogether?

What are the cable alternatives other than Comcast where you live? Is a satellite service such as DirecTV or Dish Network an option where you are?

I know the NFLN has partnered with some phone companies to deliver streams to your phone - see Verizon and NFL Mobile: The Evolution of Fandom and NFL Mobile Kicks Off With Verizon Wireless In April - but for some reason I was under the impression it was only available via subscription on your PC outside the US.

I would think cable providers would not want people to be able to bypass them to watch NFLN, as part of the agreement between those two, but if perhaps you already subscribed to their service, then you could watch on your PC; for example, cable providers and espn currently do this with the espn3 product.

Now I don't know if that is for fact the case; that's just what I thought the situation was with getting the NFLN.

I intend to get rid of cable television completely. I will only be using iTunes and Netflix for television via my Apple TV, Ipad and Wii. Which means I'm paying like 70 bucks a month for the privilege of paying additionally for NFLN. There just has to be a better way. I thought you could get NFLN streaming to your PC by purchasing it from NFL. Since it is very easy to hook a PC to the television and I have a spare server this would be ideal.

I know I can stream NFL from *cough* :) many sites, however I do intend to do this through NFL if I can figure it out. I just don't know what streaming offerings I can get that don't require an expensive cable TV provider, if any. I know AppleTV allows you access to MBA and NHL games but there is no NFL offering there. I was hoping NFL would get on board with this but so far they haven't.

I'm not really interested in a phone solution because I want something that I can play on a television.

Is there a solution to this?

Last edited:
No other options such as Verizon or Knology or DirecTV where you are/were?

No...winter condo in Brighthouse only territory where I COULD make DirectTV an issue and win legally but some battles have too high a cost.

In NH, my southern exposure to synchronous satellite is blocked by HUGE trees. The cretinous legislature in NH ran Comcast's competition Verizon out of state 7 years ago with the threat of additional taxation; they were only too happy to leave this not densely settled state. But at least Comcast does carry NFLN at a premium.

I intend to get rid of cable television completely. I will only be using iTunes and Netflix for television via my Apple TV, Ipad and Wii. Which means I'm paying like 70 bucks a month for the privilege of paying additionally for NFLN. There just has to be a better way. I thought you could get NFLN streaming to your PC by purchasing it from NFL. Since it is very easy to hook a PC to the television and I have a spare server this would be ideal.

I know I can stream NFL from *cough* :) many sites, however I do intend to do this through NFL if I can figure it out. I just don't know what streaming offerings I can get that don't require an expensive cable TV provider, if any. I know AppleTV allows you access to MBA and NHL games but there is no NFL offering there. I was hoping NFL would get on board with this but so far they haven't.

I'm not really interested in a phone solution because I want something that I can play on a television.

Is there a solution to this?
Thanks for clarifying; that's sort of what I thought your plan was but I wasn't completely sure.

I don't know for a fact, but I do believe the NFLN is strictly available through various cable and satellite providers within the US, and not on a direct, a la carte subscription basis such as what you are looking for. I would try contacting the NFLN to see if you can subscribe directly; I did a brief internet search and came up with two phone numbers: 310-845-4559 and 310-280-1132, as well as an email of [email protected]; you might want to try those.

If that fails you might consider partnering with somebody you know near you that has cable, and then purchasing a slingbox for yourself. There's the upfront fee for the slingbox, but no subscription fees to them. Then have whoever your friend or neighbor is make one cable box available to you; to make it worth their while perhaps offer to pay them the $8 or $10 a month that it cost for that box (plus perhaps a little towards their cable bill). Now you'll be able to get the NFLN - as well as any other basic cable channels.

Thanks for clarifying; that's sort of what I thought your plan was but I wasn't completely sure.

I don't know for a fact, but I do believe the NFLN is strictly available through various cable and satellite providers within the US, and not on a direct, a la carte subscription basis such as what you are looking for. I would try contacting the NFLN to see if you can subscribe directly; I did a brief internet search and came up with two phone numbers: 310-845-4559 and 310-280-1132, as well as an email of [email protected]; you might want to try those.

If that fails you might consider partnering with somebody you know near you that has cable, and then purchasing a slingbox for yourself. There's the upfront fee for the slingbox, but no subscription fees to them. Then have whoever your friend or neighbor is make one cable box available to you; to make it worth their while perhaps offer to pay them the $8 or $10 a month that it cost for that box (plus perhaps a little towards their cable bill). Now you'll be able to get the NFLN - as well as any other basic cable channels.

Thanks much, I'll try that.

I just wanted to post this link for anyone who was also looking for what I was looking for.

Watch NFL games the legal and virus-free way

I'm not sure if this will completely resolve the issue for me but at least it is a step in the right direction. I'm going to look into the online only package of Sunday Ticket. If it works out, I'll let ya know!

Also, I had no idea Hulu was carrying any NFL games. Doh. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye