PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Question about Broncos' game

Status
Not open for further replies.

workhorse

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
First off, I'm fully aware this is a Pats' board, not a Colts' board, but since you guys have played the Broncos already, I'm looking for some insight.

On paper, the Colts and Broncos look like their are matching their strengths. I think the key to beating the Broncos is making Jake beat you. He has 4 TD to 7 INTs and about 160 yards per game. Their rushing game and their defense are playing off each other to win games. Can they win from behind? They have really only played two teams with offenses, the Pats and the Rams. I have a feeling they will take a page from BB's playbook and use their running game to keep the Colts' offense off the field. Denver just lost their starting left tackle which should help the pass rush of the Colts and may have som impact on the rushing attack of the Broncos. The Colts have lost two of their defenders in Reagor and Doss, but should have Sanders back. How does this play out.

This is a game I hope the Colts win. That said, I think Indy has two major issues.

-I dont buy the Booger McFaraland is a cure all theory. And even if he was, the Colts D line still isn't as good as NEs. So you have the Broncos and their cut blocking schemes which Tatum Bell ran for over 100 against us going against a D that has been vulnerable to the run. Not a good combo.

I worry about Denver having 15-18 play drives. In theory, the "Make Jake beat us" approach is good. But it's hard for that to happen when he's not asked to do much besides hand it off and heave it up every once in a while to a usually wide open Javon Walker.

- Manning vs. Bailey and Darrent Williams. A major Broncos strength vs. a major Colts strength. Bailey can only do so much, but Williams is an emerging stud. He gets a lot of action playing opposite Bailey and more than stands up to it.

SoonerPatriot said:
Manning vs. Bailey and Darrent Williams. A major Broncos strength vs. a major Colts strength. Bailey can only do so much, but Williams is an emerging stud. He gets a lot of action playing opposite Bailey and more than stands up to it.

The Colts have on occasion run a three tight formation with either 3 WRs or 2 WRs and a TE all bunched up about 4 or 5 yards split out from the tackle to cause match up problems and confusion. Think that this would work to help keep Bailey off Marvin? Heck they may decide it's better to match Champ up against Reggie size wize.

You just got me thinking. I think it was the playoff game from the 2004 season when Marvin blew up Champ on a TD by Reggie. I think it was one of my favorite hits of all time. Not only was it a great hit, but it was coming from an unlikely source in Marvin and he just launched Bailey.

Your giving up around 160 yards a game on the ground - against crappy teams.

Broncs should put up 200+.

R

Please beat Denver. Then if we beat you, we're the #1 seed in 2 weeks.

In those playoff games that Manning torched Denver. Indy got
up early and took Denver out of their game plan. Run first. Then
throw. They kept biting for Indy's play-action fakes. And, kept
getting burnt deep. One of the reasons New England has been
successful against Indy is that. NE considers a 3-5 yard pickup by
your rb no big deal. Almost a plus for the defense. Don't try to
stop that play. Design a defense to stop the big play. I think
Denver is finally getting it. Though, if they keep blitzing you guys
Manning will burn them. I love the chess match BB against Manning.
I'm rooting for the Colts too. I don't care if the Pats go in as the
#1 OR #2 seed. Just want a bye in the first round. And, one home
game a la 04. Playing AFC Championship game on the road isn't
a big deal. Home team 5-7 last 12yrs. Pats have two of those
wins 96 and 03.:)

SoonerPatriot said:
In theory, the "Make Jake beat us" approach is good. But it's hard for that to happen when he's not asked to do much besides hand it off and heave it up every once in a while to a usually wide open Javon Walker.

One thing I've learned from our 3 contests against Plummer is that he will beat us if given enough time and opportunities, especially in a tight game.
Our lack of scoring on offense early just takes the pressure off of him, and he gets comfortable by about the 2nd quarter. I will say for the umpteenth time, the best way to beat Denver is to score a touchdown EARLY. Force their friggin' hand on offense instead of just waiting for them to hit a big play.

Jake had a lot of success on 3rd down last game (mostly in shotgun formation). I went through the 3rd-down situations from Week 3 and Plummer pretty much burned us the whole night. 2 TD passes, 8/13 passing for 169 yards and a 11-yard scramble for a first down deep in their own territory. A passer rating of 145.0(!) on 3rd down. We dared Jake to beat us and he took us up on it.

Jake's mobility and the threat to rollout/bootleg/scramble is a problem for our D because its an added threat we have to account for (on top of the stout running game and Walker/Smith). Simply too many weapons out there. This is where execution is VITAL for our D. In the playoffs we were spot-on with coverage, tackling and gap-control. Their offense couldn't do much without a short field. In Week 3 we had 2 plays where our coverage/tackling wasn't right and that's all they needed to beat us.

That being said, our D has made great strides in diffusing Denver's offense. If only we can be aggressive on offense early on, that will determine whether we can beat this team in the postseason.

As for Sunday's game, Manning will get about 10 points in the 1st quarter and the Broncos will have to play catch-up. If you watched the AFC title game, that's a situation Denver would rather not be in. Indy wins 27-17.

Last edited:
workhorse said:
I think the key to beating the Broncos is making Jake beat you.

It has been the key for years. They play well when even or ahead, awful when they are behind and he has to make plays and can't afford to make mistakes.

It should be an interesting game. Both teams have exceptional units on 1 side of the ball (Indy O, Denver D) that have so far carried their pathetic units on the other side of the ball (Denver O, Indy D).

40yrpatsfan said:
Please beat Denver. Then if we beat you, we're the #1 seed in 2 weeks.

If? :rolleyes:

dhamz said:
It has been the key for years. They play well when even or ahead, awful when they are behind and he has to make plays and can't afford to make mistakes.

It should be an interesting game. Both teams have exceptional units on 1 side of the ball (Indy O, Denver D) that have so far carried their pathetic units on the other side of the ball (Denver O, Indy D).

What will be really interesting is how the officiating crew handles this one. It's sort of like Sophie's Choice to them.

I'll be interested in this one for sure. For whatever reason the Colts seem to match up well against Denver, remembering the playoff games back in the 2003, 2004 timeframe. It's one of those weird things, the Patriots usually beat the Colts, the Colts usually beat the Broncos but the Broncos usually beat the Patriots. It's always seemed like Shanahan doesn't like to play the zones against Indy that Belichick will and, invariably, the Colt WR beat the Bronco CB. Will that happen again ? The Colts' defense also has the speed to defend the stretch play Denver likes.

One thing, Workhorse, you referenced the Patriots running to keep Manning off the field. If you go back and watch the games you'll see that the Patriots like to throw to get a lead against Indy and make their offense more predictable. The Patriots start running the ball later in the game.

SoonerPatriot said:
-I dont buy the Booger McFaraland is a cure all theory. And even if he was, the Colts D line still isn't as good as NEs. ....

Workhorse knows better than to claim that snagging Booger is a cure-all.
Actually, he doesn't mention McFarland at all:

"The Colts have lost two of their defenders in Reagor and Doss, but should have Sanders back."

Some horserace.
Go Colts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots