PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Props to Mario Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I've said before that I would never question the Texans decision to take Williams over Reggie Bush, though passing on Vince Young at the time was what could really haunt them when all was said and done.

Williams played with an injured foot for over half of his rookie season and never really had a chance because of that and the enourmous pressure to be great every week.

Today he had 4 solo tackles, 2 sacks and a fumble recovery he ran in for a TD. This certainly doesn't make his career or anything but it does show the talent the guy has.

As Bill Cowher pointed out, he has more TDs right now than Bush does. :)

As for passing on Young, and again, I know it's only one game, but Matt Schaub really impressed me. He threw one really bad pass that was picked off in the endzone but overall played extremely well. He made plays that Carr wouldn't have. He's definately going to have his struggles at times this season but today he showed that he can be a solid QB in this league.

I've said before that I would never question the Texans decision to take Williams over Reggie Bush, though passing on Vince Young at the time was what could really haunt them when all was said and done.

Williams played with an injured foot for over half of his rookie season and never really had a chance because of that and the enourmous pressure to be great every week.

Today he had 4 solo tackles, 2 sacks and a fumble recovery he ran in for a TD. This certainly doesn't make his career or anything but it does show the talent the guy has.

As Bill Cowher pointed out, he has more TDs right now than Bush does. :)

As for passing on Young, and again, I know it's only one game, but Matt Schaub really impressed me. He threw one really bad pass that was picked off in the endzone but overall played extremely well. He made plays that Carr wouldn't have. He's definately going to have his struggles at times this season but today he showed that he can be a solid QB in this league.

I've maintained all along the Texans made the right decision with Williams vs. Bush. Franchise level defensive ends are worth much, much more than franchise level running backs, which is not to say Reggie Bush is or ever will be such. Running backs are a dime a dozen, you can get decent ones in the later rounds, and good ones in the earlier rounds. Dominant defensive ends are rarely found anywhere but the upper reaches of the draft, and while you can put together a pretty good offense without a franchise caliber back, you can't put together a top defense without at least one big time defensive lineman. Give me Mario Williams, and the promise of years of sacks, hurries and forced fumbles over Reggie Bush and years of the occasional scintillating touchdown and a lot of moderately effective running.

This is true - There are ALOT of less HOF D-Line guys like Reggie White,Deacon Jones and guys like the active Michael Strahan ect: then there are great HOF running backs,I could name alot more great RBs than D-Line players thus I think the DE position is rare to find long term talent over the RB position.

Last edited:
It also show how short sighted these so called experts are. It takes a couple of years for a DLman to begin to develop. Many labelled Julius Peppers a bust after his rookie year, now he is labelled as the best DLman in the league.

I think Reggie Bush IS a special player, but Houston may have the last laugh in this comparison. RB's are much more common than DE's. Vince Young however might be a different story if he become more Tom Brady than Mike Vick.

Building your defense and stealing a good young quarterback. That's how to build a team.

I still think that Carr will have another chance.

Imo, he never had a very good oline in front of him. He did have Gaffney and Andre though...

I'd say after the 1st game of the year, it's Williams 1, Bush 0

They played the Chiefs, fellas...

Let's at least let Williams play one more game against a real team before we reverse opinion on what may have been one of the biggest draft blunders in history.

Running backs are a dime a dozen, you can get decent ones in the later rounds, and good ones in the earlier rounds.

Yeah, thank God the Patriots spent most of this decade getting excellent play from their stellar RB picks like Redmond and Cobbs and Sedrick Shaw or else they would have had to find journeyman FAs and trade with the Bengals or something to find a starting runner. :p

I think the idea that a RB is easy to find is an oft repeated fallacy in this league. And the back who can perform good enough to draw defending safties up to the line is every bit as valuable as the DL who puts enough pressure on the QB to take pressure off of the defensive backfield.

Either way both Mario and Bush have a ways to go before either one looks like the consensus better player.

Yeah, thank God the Patriots spent most of this decade getting excellent play from their stellar RB picks like Redmond and Cobbs and Sedrick Shaw or else they would have had to find journeyman FAs and trade with the Bengals or something to find a starting runner. :p

I think the idea that a RB is easy to find is an oft repeated fallacy in this league. And the back who can perform good enough to draw defending safties up to the line is every bit as valuable as the DL who puts enough pressure on the QB to take pressure off of the defensive backfield.

Either way both Mario and Bush have a ways to go before either one looks like the consensus better player.

Spending first rounders on Dlinemen worked pretty well for the Pats, no?

I much prefer a pocket QB than a scrambling QB. Thus VY isn't a priority for me. Seems to want to take more than what is on offer, but he is still green and may develope quite nicely, who knows.

Plus the more you scramble the more the chance of injury. If you have an injured QB if almost completely ruins you season.

You pay a lot of money to play in the playoffs, why take more risks.

Brady Quinn actually interests me, good name too.

This was arguably the most important game in franchise history. It was the coming out of their new QB and of Williams. Yes, they were lucky to be playing the chiefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes