PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: ProFW's interesting take on Asante...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Got this off another MB, but this is the first I've heard about it. Did you guys get this same impression as well?

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"Who pays $10 million (per season) for a corner? The Eagles lost their minds. Maybe for a quarterback. It’s amazing what is happening in the marketplace. Wait until the Eagles figure out what they paid for. (Asante) Samuel is a malcontent. He has issues.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: PFW's interesting take on Asante...

Eh, he didn't seem like a malcontent when he was with us. I guess having to live in Philadelphia will put a sour taste in your mouth (no offense, Bad MoFo).

I get sick of the bashing of players who choose to leave. If you were offered that money you'd take it. Stop being homers.

I don't think he's a malcontent at all. He just wanted to get paid. IMO, he earned it. Good for him for finding a team that was dumb enough to pay that much. I just hope for his sake he performs up to Iggle's fans standards or he's in for it :eek:

He played well when he was here. Calling him a malcontent is a little out of line. He wasn't like Terry Glenn going on Sports Final talkign about doing the math or whatnot.

While I've heard some things questioning his character, I don't think those really affected his play on the field.

I get sick of the bashing of players who choose to leave. If you were offered that money you'd take it. Stop being homers.
That was from Pro Football Weekly (I assume, the thing at the top about where the quotes are from is what they always say). There's no homerism.

So one is a homer if one is critical of a player's greed.....lol...Firstly, please do not speak for others..it just because you would take all the money you can get doesn't mean others would..
As far as AS goes, I think malcontent at this point is not really true...a BIT of a stretch..*in teh future though..that COULD BE..but not now...NO!!) But having a few players want MORE money...Shepard, Westbrook and now Andrews shows what happens when you pay that type of money out and mess up a pay scale...MORE proof that the Pats did teh correct thing with him.

I never considered him a malcontent. He was a little too public for my tastes with his desire for a big payday (the "Get Paid" tattoo), but i'm not going to begrudge a player for leaving town for a bigger paycheck. It was very obvious a long time ago that Samuels would not be here this season, which helped the Pats (and the fans) prepare. The window of opportunity for an NFL player is very small. The average career is very short (in comparison to baseball, for example) so there are very few chances to strike it rich. In addition football is a very violent game with a high risk of career ending injuries.

Why do people always say this when talking about pro athletes? "If it was you, you'd take the money too!" Actually chief, I wouldn't, and don't...I think there are LOADS of us out there who don't jump ship just because someone offers us a higher salary for what might very well be a worse job. Stop making assumptions, I would guess there are plenty of us out there which is why so many of us take it seriously when someone we rooted for turns out to be "that guy". Look at the core guys on this team, the winners, who do take cuts to keep playing here and winning. Don't say it's most people, and don't say we dislike those that do take the payday because we're homers...maybe it's just because we appreciate loyalty and integrity and are willing to live on a 5% or 10% paycut to enjoy our jobs, environment, and those that helped us get to the "offer" in the first place.

Why do people always say this when talking about pro athletes? "If it was you, you'd take the money too!" Actually chief, I wouldn't, and don't...I think there are LOADS of us out there who don't jump ship just because someone offers us a higher salary for what might very well be a worse job. Stop making assumptions, I would guess there are plenty of us out there which is why so many of us take it seriously when someone we rooted for turns out to be "that guy". Look at the core guys on this team, the winners, who do take cuts to keep playing here and winning. Don't say it's most people, and don't say we dislike those that do take the payday because we're homers...maybe it's just because we appreciate loyalty and integrity and are willing to live on a 5% or 10% paycut to enjoy our jobs, environment, and those that helped us get to the "offer" in the first place.
Can I second that??? For one, the real differnces a players faces is really not at all teh same for the average person....MOST players are in the high percentile of salaries...so getting more adds what?? a few more houses? luxury cars?...NOT the same issues that the average person faces when given that kind of choice..
BUT I also agree that I have seen many smile and rake more money thinking it wa sso so smart...only to return and take less money and a better environment...Is it all just for the money for players?? Somehow I do not think that is the case with many Patriots...and others in the league. Money is part of the formula, no question, but there are factors.

Malcontent or not, there's no way he can match up 1 on 1 with top receivers in press coverage the way the Eagles will ask him to. That's why I think they've lost their minds.

Malcontent or not, there's no way he can match up 1 on 1 with top receivers in press coverage the way the Eagles will ask him to. That's why I think they've lost their minds.

And when he does ( or doesn't match up) it won't go over well in a locker room where many are being paid much less by comparison....I posted before and I'll repeat it, the Eagles are ripe for an implosion this year..with Westbrook griping as well as the rest of the secondary, Andrews b*tching about his contract and McNabb looking over his shoulder at his eventual replacement and a team that jumped the shark in SB42....

Last edited:
Aside from his tag holdout I don't think Asante was a malcontent here. He was quiet and something of a loner, not a vocal leader or team first kind of guy (he did his last two off seasons at home and apparently groused privately about Hobbs passing him on the depth chart heading into 2006 - in part because he claimed to be uncomfortable on the right side). He's not a $10M talent and he's not a $10M leader, but other than that he's probably a decent guy... just likely not what the Eagles thought they were getting.

Aside from his tag holdout I don't think Asante was a malcontent here. He was quiet and something of a loner, not a vocal leader or team first kind of guy (he did his last two off seasons at home and apparently groused privately about Hobbs passing him on the depth chart heading into 2006 - in part because he claimed to be uncomfortable on the right side). He's not a $10M talent and he's not a $10M leader, but other than that he's probably a decent guy... just likely not what the Eagles thought they were getting.

Interesting you mention he's doesn't feel comfortable on that right side.

When he was first signed by the Eagles-Andy Reid pretty much gave him that starting job on a silver platter on the LEFT side at his PRESS CONFERENCE...and guess the other Eagle player who plays this very same left side...LITO SHEPPARD.(Sheldon's is on the right side, FYI)

Yah-Reid has really created a big mess here. Even though he says Lito and Sheldon will compete for that right side, what if Lito wins out? Sheldon's gonna be pretty angry too.

And even Jim Johnson admitted that he's going to try to play this trio in equal amounts of time(like 60-70% each) just to make them HAPPY.

Personally, I didn't like Asante from the holdout onward. The dislike didn't start when he left. That said, I don't blame him for taking the money any more than I blame the Patriots for not matching such a ridiculous offer.

Samuel gave us all he had in every game and every practice. He went from being a 4th round pick who was analyzed as a "nickle" back to a #1 corner ... and oh by the way he helped us win a few Super Bowls.

He wanted to get maximum $$$ and he got it.

We got what we wanted when he was here and we got what we paid him for when he was here.

That he is causing some problems for the Eagles ... I am enjoying that.
Not because I'm hating on Asante ... it's because I love hating on the Eagles ... :rofl:

Last edited:
Whoeve wrote that is out of touch - $10 million a year isn't necessarilly outrageous for a CB.

However Samuel is not such a CB.

Also, it's good to know we have idealists here who wouldn't take the money and run, but we all know NFL teams don't lose sleep cutting unproductive players. Many pro-athletes don't have a fallback career or the skills to enter the 9-5 world.

Still, $10 million a year is a bit rich for a cornerback.

Assante chose the $ and that's fine! I can't recall what we were offereing (if we made an offfer?) but I suspect it would have been in the 5 to 6 range, which is still not too shabby.
But, to leave 4 or 5 on the table per year is asking alot from someone, especially if they di not come from a financially secure background.
What I do know is that in our system, no corner back is worth 10 million a year. That the Why the Eagles were silly enought to pay it is beyond me. I'll echo the sentiments of a previous poster. The Eagles are going to implode this year. They have some core vets looking to get paid and you know that Samuels contract has casued alot of bitterness in their locker room. Being an Eagle this year will not be alot of fun!!! 7-9 and a $hitload of finger pointing. Enjoy the cash Assante.

I got no problem with A$ante and whomever wrote that clearly has an agenda.

Whether it's $$ based or the fact that A$ante is bumping some Eagles Vets around for their position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes