PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Please say a prayer for Kevin Everett [Update: likely paralyzed for life]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Please say a prayer for Kevin Everett [Update: May never regain full motion]

There are now reports that Everett may never regain full motion, per his orthopedic surgeon.

ESPN: Kevin Everett likely to be paralyzed

Just saw on ESPN that Buffalo TE Kevin Everett is likely to be paralyzed. My deepest prayers go out to both he and his family.

Sorry, did not see full thread devoted to him. Once again sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Re: OT: Please say a prayer for Kevin Everett [Update: May never regain full motion]

The next few days are critical...a few days after, there is always a large possibility of infection and pneumonia and other complications...prayers for him, and his family.

This is just awful news. I will continue to pray for him. :(

This is devestating news. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to him.

It's sad when any player gets hurt, but this is just devestating.

This was posted on ESPN in the last half hour...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012739

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills' Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and his chances of regaining a full range of body motion are very small, an orthopedic surgeon said Monday.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Dr. Andrew Cappuccino said, one day after performing a four-hour operation on the player. "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. ... A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal."

Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Just awful. The hit, and then seeing the kid absolutely motionless on the field, it was sickening and scary.

Unfortunately this happens every 4-5 years or so..so so scary....
The last time I remember this was at a Preseason Game 03..the Eagles..I believe it was Thrash who was hit...the stadium was silent..15 minutes and an ambulance...Luckily, as severe as it looked, it was bruises and he was back playing in a few weeks...
Yesterday's injury was FAR FAR worse...another Stingley so so sad..

Injuries always seem to me to be the toughest losses--but something like this, so severe, so possibly permanent, goes far beyond any torn knee or shoulder, or broken bone, as devastating as they are. Something like this just breaks your heart.

The best we can hope for, is that he's got a fight ahead of him. I'll be thinking about him.

At least they did say he has some feeling throughout his body and some very limited motion, so his spine wasn't completely severed. At the very least, that makes physical therapy and a somewhat normal life possible.

I saw the ESPN report (a few minutes ago) and I didn't understand the graphic which said he might be paralyzed for life. At the same time, the reporter (Kelly Naki) was saying that he had some voluntary leg movement, but the doctor was saying that he wasn't out of the woods yet, he could still have a blood clot, his breathing center could fail, etc. It sounded to me like it was actually HOPEFUL news but the doctor was (as doctors always do) covering his donkey in case something went wrong.

Injuries always seem to me to be the toughest losses--but something like this, so severe, so possibly permanent, goes far beyond any torn knee or shoulder, or broken bone, as devastating as they are. Something like this just breaks your heart.

The best we can hope for, is that he's got a fight ahead of him. I'll be thinking about him.
Cousin,
Amen and God speed to Kevin. Football is just a game and this puts it all in perspective. His health is more important and yes Mr. Iverson, prayer works. Just remember that one day.
DW Toys

At least they did say he has some feeling throughout his body and some very limited motion, so his spine wasn't completely severed. At the very least, that makes physical therapy and a somewhat normal life possible.

Unlikely. His surgeon said the chances are small that he will be able to walk again.

Devastating news.
I hope he and those close to him are aware of the outpouring of support for them at this time.

Segue - I didn't see the play itself and don't want to see it. I hope the NFL edits out the aftermath in replays.

Unlikely. His surgeon said the chances are small that he will be able to walk again.
No, the quote was "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. ... A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal." He might or might not walk again, but at least hopefully he can use his arms and have feeling in his body.

I saw the ESPN report (a few minutes ago) and I didn't understand the graphic which said he might be paralyzed for life. At the same time, the reporter (Kelly Naki) was saying that he had some voluntary leg movement, but the doctor was saying that he wasn't out of the woods yet, he could still have a blood clot, his breathing center could fail, etc. It sounded to me like it was actually HOPEFUL news but the doctor was (as doctors always do) covering his donkey in case something went wrong.
As I mentioned a few posts before..there are ALL kinds of complications..blood clots, pnemonia etc..that can happen in the days following.
Was like that with Stingley..he had breathing problems and pnemonia and almost died a few days after...it is a good sign of some movement..but I think the odds are very slim for anything close to normal life...sad sad..

No, the quote was "I believe there will be some permanent neurological paralysis. ... A full neurological recovery was bleak, dismal." He might or might not walk again, but at least hopefully he can use his arms and have feeling in his body.

Pujo -
They said the same thing about Utley and Byrd. And both have prevailed....

While its is bleak, there is some hope...

My thoughts are with Kevin and his loved ones.

Unfortunately, I know a bit more about this than I would like to. As I understand it (I'm no surgeon) what happens is that when vertebrae are broken they tend to shatter into chips (they have a sort of honeycomb structure inside). It's a matter of luck where those splinters go. If they go into the spinal cord, things are bad, because that does not significantly re-generate (although improvements do happen slowly for reasons that no one has explained to me).

It seems to me, I'm sorry to say, a very disturbing sign if the surgeon makes a pessimistic statement just on the basis of the operation. Normally, the surgeon can't tell -- just have to wait and see how things are when the patient recovers consciousness.

In any case, I wish Kevin and those around him all the courage and fortitude in the world!

I said a prayer for Kevin Everett today, I don't know him very well but football players entertain me every Sunday and I don't take for granted the chances they take with their bodies. They are modern day gladiators.

I hope Kevin doesn't listen to the doctors because if he believes in himself and works hard maybe someday he can walk again and have a somewhat normal life. I pray that God gives him the strength and mental toughness to fight this and try to overcome it.

I'm not one who usually cares about celebrities or what happens to them but something about this 25 year old kid playing special teams just touched me when I heard what happened to him. I hope he can find whatever he needs to overcome this and have a decent life.

I hope Kevin doesn't listen to the doctors because if he believes in himself and works hard maybe someday he can walk again and have a somewhat normal life. I pray that God gives him the strength and mental toughness to fight this and try to overcome it.

This isn't meant as an attack, just a statement: any doctor who has no problem telling a patient (NFL player, grandmother, it doesn't matter) "Get used to life in a wheelchair" shouldn't be practicing medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back