PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Phins Players to be Fined $10K for Improper iPad Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if any teams would consider employing a computer whizz-kid to hack into one of these things?

:confused:

Apple's excellent record on security is one of its advantages over other companies.

Actually, Macs have almost no protection against viruses, etc. compared to pc's. They're wildly vulnerable. The only reason they've seemed "safe" is that MacOS has been such a small segment of the market (and so concentrated in populations like students and artists) that the bad guys haven't bothered targeting them. That's starting to change, alas. And on the mobile front, there's been plenty of press about how iPhones & iPads have made it easy for app developers to access pretty much every piece of info a user has.

Actually, Macs have almost no protection against viruses, etc. compared to pc's. They're wildly vulnerable. The only reason they've seemed "safe" is that MacOS has been such a small segment of the market (and so concentrated in populations like students and artists) that the bad guys haven't bothered targeting them. That's starting to change, alas. And on the mobile front, there's been plenty of press about how iPhones & iPads have made it easy for app developers to access pretty much every piece of info a user has.

Actually, that's incorrect, but I'm not going to take this further off-topic. My initial response was in keeping with the thread, and is accurate, but going further with this would just be too far off topic.

Last edited:
Actually, that's incorrect, but I'm not going to take this further off-topic. My initial response was in keeping with the thread, and is accurate, but going further with this would just be too far off topic.

"You're wrong, now let's close the topic"? OK, back atcha. ;)

Returning to the real topic...an electronic playbook does make a huge amount of sense. Easier to control and update; lockable for security if simply lost; can build in links to video illustrations; etc. Perhaps I'm naive, but I'm not terribly worried about teams hiring hackers to break into players' ipads, any more than I worry about them hiring burglars to break into players' hotel rooms for paper copies. For all the skullduggery of the NFL, I can't imagine major felonies are par for the course.

The bigger risk, IMO, is some kid spending his summer vacation trying to hack into the playbook of his favorite team, then posting the file online so that it instantly lands in the hands of every team in the league, not just one.

"You're wrong, now let's close the topic"? OK, back atcha. ;)

If you want to talk about viruses and the like, start another thread and I'll discuss it. I wasn't avoiding the issue. It's just off topic a bit more than I usually like to stray.

Last edited:
I wonder if any teams would consider employing a computer whizz-kid to hack into one of these things?

Quiet!
You're giving away the clandestine duties of BB's son recently hired as a coach w/o specific responsibilities.
I just hope that Goodell is too busy with NO and doesn't catch onto this latest move by the Dark Hooded Genius.

:confused:

Apple's excellent record on security is one of its advantages over other companies.

Apple has consistently been at the very top of the discovered vulnerabilities for non-mobile devices. Number one and number two. And no, I can't send a link because the report is an annual hard copy.

Update: I found a couple links that refer to the reports I have seen:
http://www.securitygeneration.com/security/apple-tops-secunia-vulnerability-ranking/
http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/02/11/mac.os.vulnerabilities/

They aren't well exploited vulnerabilities because of their smaller enterprise footprint, but the iOS devices are changing those rules.

Last edited:
Apple has consistently been at the very top of the discovered vulnerabilities for non-mobile devices. Number one and number two. And no, I can't send a link because the report is an annual hard copy.

Update: I found a couple links that refer to the reports I have seen:
Apple Tops Secunia Vulnerability Ranking | Security Generation
IBM study ranks Mac as most vulernable OS | MacNN

They aren't well exploited vulnerabilities because of their smaller enterprise footprint, but the iOS devices are changing those rules.

Again, I'm not getting into this, because I deal with the Apple/Windows/Linux crap often enough and it's off topic. However, your own links show it to be largely the 3rd party apps on one link and a misleading article on the other. As a matter of fact, the big recent Mac panic was found to actually be a Java issue, and not a Mac issue.

Also, the dueling claims thing is pretty easy to do...

Apple iOS: Why it's the most secure OS, period | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

which is another reason I didn't bother getting into this.

Last edited:
Again, I'm not getting into this, because I deal with the Apple/Windows/Linux crap often enough and it's off topic. However, your own links show it to be largely the 3rd party apps on one link and a misleading article on the other. As a matter of fact, the big recent Mac panic was found to actually be a Java issue, and not a Mac issue.

Also, the dueling claims thing is pretty easy to do...

Apple iOS: Why it's the most secure OS, period | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld

which is another reason I didn't bother getting into this.

I agree its off topic and apologize for jumping in late after you already said as much to another poster.

I will say this: I love Apple products!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye