PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Phillies bullpen coach busted using binoculars

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Phillies bullpen coach busted using binoculars - Baseball- nbcsports.msnbc.com

I think Arlen Specter needs to step in, since this is his hometown team. After all, isn't this the same thing the Patriots did? Using an unfair advantage that is prohibited by the rulebook? Stealing signs? And, gulp, not the first time they've been accused?

I think we should flood that self-righteous Comcast puppet with emails filled with outrage and disgust. Put an asterisk next to the Phillies championship from 2008; threaten the team with congressional hearings; investigate this situation with the same intensity with which he investigated (and failed) in 2007.

I want a front page story on ESPN, 24/7 coverage, angry fans from 31 other baseball teams, the word "Cheatlies" to be thrown around message boards, and at least a half-million dollar fine for the head coach.

Last edited:
... that would be 29 other teams... but who's counting?:p

I bet they'll go 163-0 next season during the regular season, only to lose Game 7 of the World Series to the Rays when back-up outfielder Fernando Perez catches a fly ball between his glove and the bill of his cap.

I think Arlen Specter needs to step in, since this is his hometown team. After all, isn't this the same thing the Patriots did? Using an unfair advantage that is prohibited by the rulebook? Stealing signs? And, gulp, not the first time they've been accused?

I think we should flood that self-righteous Comcast puppet with emails filled with outrage and disgust. Put an asterisk next to the Phillies championship from 2008; threaten the team with congressional hearings; investigate this situation with the same intensity with which he investigated (and failed) in 2007.

I want a front page story on ESPN, 24/7 coverage, angry fans from 31 other baseball teams, the word "Cheatlies" to be thrown around message boards, and at least a half-million dollar fine for the head coach.

Buster Olney (on Mike & Mike) said it's different than Spygate because the signs are in full view and everybody does it. I swear to God, that's what he said. And they seemed to agree.

Buster Olney (on Mike & Mike) said it's different than Spygate because the signs are in full view and everybody does it. I swear to God, that's what he said. And they seemed to agree.

Unbelievable.

I want their World Series title stripped away and given to the Rays! NOW!

My favorite is how shocked so many people were when it was revealed that the New York (baseball) Giants were stealing signals in the famous game where the announcer yelled "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!" four or five times in a row.

Signal stealing goes on all the time in baseball. This is one of the facts I've always used when discussing Spygate with rival teams' fans. Signal stealing is something that happens all the time in every sport at every level.

When did the Phillies move to New England?

If this is in fact what Olney stated then he is either a liar or a moron. What an idiotic thing to say.

this is how i feel about Signal stealing in football you can know what play is comeing next but you still need the talent to stop it.

and in baseball it's even harder you have to hit a 90mph ball comeing at your head with a stick it's the only sport were if you fail 70% of the time your a great player and maybe even a all star.

this is how i feel about Signal stealing in football you can know what play is comeing next but you still need the talent to stop it.

Exactly. Someone once asked Vince Lombardi how he would change his game plan if the other team figured out what they would do on a play. He said, "Then we'll just do it anyway." ;)

Even then there are a lot of teams that change their signals on a game by game basis.

Signal stealing goes on all the time in baseball. This is one of the facts I've always used when discussing Spygate with rival teams' fans. Signal stealing is something that happens all the time in every sport at every level.
If that's the case sides that are officially caught should be punished appropriately then ;).

Subcontext - I don't actually believe that but it will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

In Olney's defense, the NFL does allow cloaking devises and invisability shields for their defensive staff so no one can see them sending in signals. Baseball has banned such devises because it takes away from the purity of the game.

Why doesn't baseball just start using communication devices too? why all the signals in this day and age? Manager to Pitcher and Catcher communication like a coach to QB in football.

nevermind: I thought of a few reasons one being I believe the defenders read the signal from the catcher too to help them line up for the play.

Last edited:
FWIW, after next Tuesday, he may be lame duck Sen. Spector. He stands a very good chance of being defeated in the Democratic primary......

That's because he's SUPPOSED to be running in the Republican primary. :rolleyes:

If that's the case sides that are officially caught should be punished appropriately then ;).

Subcontext - I don't actually believe that but it will be interesting to see if anything comes of this.

The problem there is you're assuming Bud Selig actually has balls.

this all goes back to goodell being a mumbling, bumbling moron and espn hoping we're all morons.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back