OT: Peyton Manning has neck surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Indianapolis Colts' Peyton Manning underwent 2nd surgery on neck - ESPN

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning underwent neck surgery in Chicago on Monday for the second time in the past 15 months.

Manning told The Indianapolis Star on Tuesday that the procedure was "minimally invasive" and said he expects to make "a quick recovery."

Article mentions the surgery is to alleviate a problem with a pinched nerve he had a few years ago.

Or maybe it's to help with his constant choking. ;)

Last edited:
I wonder if he considered cosmetic forehead surgery at the same time.

No big deal, really. They just had to tighten one of the bolts.

Hope he recovers OK. Despite the rivalry I like him. Great QB, pretty funny guy too.

Hope he recovers OK. Despite the rivalry I like him. Great QB, pretty funny guy too.

Yup. I don't want to see anyone hurt or have these sorts of problems. He's a great athlete and QB and he's done a lot of good for the NFL. He's just wearing the wrong laundry. :D

This is the second consecutive offseason for neck surgery for Manning and third offseason in a row for surgery in general. It is sad to say, but we might be seeing the end of Manning's career approaching. I hate the guy, but I respect him as a player and the Colts/Pats rivalry dies with his career. I don't see Jim Caldwell making this team get to .500 without Manning.

I hope I am wrong, but at 35 with a persistant neck problems you gotta think the end for Manning is near.

This is the second consecutive offseason for neck surgery for Manning and third offseason in a row for surgery in general. It is sad to say, but we might be seeing the end of Manning's career approaching. I hate the guy, but I respect him as a player and the Colts/Pats rivalry dies with his career. I don't see Jim Caldwell making this team get to .500 without Manning.

I hope I am wrong, but at 35 with a persistant neck problems you gotta think the end for Manning is near.

I agree! The end is nigh for Manning! And I don't think the Colts want to admit it! The team need Manning, and will be an average team without him!

I wouldn't be putting my faith in Curtis Painter!

Maybe Polian should have drafted Mallett...

I agree! The end is nigh for Manning! And I don't think the Colts want to admit it! The team need Manning, and will be an average team without him!

I wouldn't be putting my faith in Curtis Painter!

He hasn't had any major injuries and he gets hit less than any QB in the league. I wouldn't hold your breath if you're expecting Manning to retire any time soon.

Manning deserves the utmost respect of any opposing QB in the league,while at the same time deserves the utmost hate for being our biggest threat and rival at QB opposite Brady.

With that being said,I wish Peyton a speedy and fully healthy recovery until we meet you in the fall and then rip your head off :cool:

Last edited:
He hasn't had any major injuries and he gets hit less than any QB in the league. I wouldn't hold your breath if you're expecting Manning to retire any time soon.

You mean other than a persistant neck injury which has required repeated surgeries? Besides, degenerative injuries that may never have been a major injury and get worse over time, but continues to linger over year can be more career threatening than one or two major injuries. Many players retire from long term degenerative neck and back injuries that were never major season ending injuries or even made them miss several games.

I mean I have shoulder problems from years of working out which has started to act up in the last few months. I cannot lift nearly what I could six months ago because of it yet I have never had an injury of any sort. As you get older, your body cannot handle the wear and tear that it could in your early 20s.

He hasn't had any major injuries

It really shows the toll football takes on the body when having multiple surgeries on your NECK (and more on your knees) is considered trifling stuff.

I hate to see Manning win at anything, but I will miss the annual November game against the Patriots. It's like a mini-Super Bowl for me.

hope he gets better fast and has a great season just not vs the pats

I don't want him to retire. I just want his effectiveness to decline precipitously over the next couple of years.

:p

Agreed- I'd be surprised if the end is approaching for Manning. He has at least a couple of elite years left in him, barring some major injury.

It really shows the toll football takes on the body when having multiple surgeries on your NECK (and more on your knees) is considered trifling stuff.

By major injuries i'm talking about Chad Pennington stuff or the kind of injury that Brady suffered. Something that can take away a QB's ability.

If Manning was playing hurt last year he sure as hell didn't show it.

By major injuries i'm talking about Chad Pennington stuff or the kind of injury that Brady suffered. Something that can take away a QB's ability.

If Manning was playing hurt last year he sure as hell didn't show it.

Again, degerative injuries can be just as career ending. I doubt he will be done this year, but in a year or two, who knows? A degerative neck injury is serious.

Look at Curtis Martin. His career was ended because of a degenerative knee injury, not a major injury that cause it. The cartlidge in his knee just wore away over time and abuse and ended up having a bone on bone situation.

In fact, many major injuries are repaired so that the ligaments are stronger than they were naturally.

Manning could end up playing for another 5 years, but he also could be done after this season for all we know. Major injuries are not the only injuries that end careers. Wear and tear to the body can do far more damage in a lot of cases. If Manning's neck problems is due to a repetitive motion wear and tear caused by him throwing, it could end his career pretty quickly since there may be no way to repair the damage but only slow the degregation. A lot of pitchers end their careers in their 30s because they blow out their rotator cuffs after years of throwing. Similiar things can happen to QBs.

BTW, the injury Brady suffered will likely not have any effect on shortening his career. His new ACL is stronger than his old one and as long as there isn't excess scar tissue in the knee, it will probably help to extend his career since he had a complete season to rest the rest of his body.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back