PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Peyton is best of the decade because he was so classy after 14-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It's Peyton, Not Tom, Who Is NFL's Player of the Decade -- NFL FanHouse

It's a close call -- both players are consummate leaders, unquestioned winners and superlative athletes. But this decision, while fairly set in stone in September, was cemented in Week 16 of the 2009 regular season.

Yes, the Colts lost 29-15 to the New York Jets, sending the AFC's playoff picture into turmoil and ruining Indianapolis' dreams of 16-0...

...Manning was superb not for what he did, but for what he didn't do. If you caught Manning's postgame news conference and watched his poise and professionalism in the immediate wake of what had to be one of the most heart-wrenching, gut-twisting outcomes of his sporting career, then you know why this player is the finest the NFL had to offer us -- in every possible aspect of the game -- over the past 10 seasons.

Well, first of all, "unquestioned winners" ??? Maybe if you don't count the post season I guess. I've always viewed winners as guys who finish more often than they don't finish.

But, more importantly, what about this?

Tom Brady: The Giants certainly deserve it; it’s a great football team. As difficult as it is for us, you got to hand it to them. They made more plays than we did.

They are a great team. They are very good on defense. They have some great pressure schemes, obviously some great pass rushers. Once we kind of got the idea of what we were doing, I thought we handled it much better but we just didn’t get the ball in the end zone enough. You score 14 points. I think that was our lowest total of the year and that got us beat.

I thought they had a very good game plan, they executed it very well. It was a three-point win. We usually are on the better side of those three-point wins. We just have to regroup and come back and try to make it stronger next year.

Like I said, I think we all could have done things better. I could have made better reads and made better throws. We will try to improve that moving forward next season.
Patriots Postgame Quotes - 2/3/2008

One could argue there's never been a more "heart-wrenching, gut-twisting outcome" in anyone's career, EVER. And yet there Tom Brady is, praising the Giants, the team that just crushed the soul of the entire Patriot nation and ruined what would have been the unquestioned best season ever in the history of the league. But hey, it didn't happen 5 days ago so easy enough for the writer to forget right?

If you want to argue stats, fine. I argue rings but that's my personal feeling, But don't try to spin the B.S. that Peyton is more of a leader than Tom Brady, cuz it just doesn't hold water.

And, yes I apologize for posting the 10 billionth Brady v. Manning thread, but this crap article <expletive>'d me off.

Good thread

I choose not to get involved in this argument though. If someone wants to call Manning better then at least use sound logic. The dude from your quote is no smarter IMO than the idiot on the Colts blog who claimed 16-0 wasn't a big deal because the Colts could do it any time they chose to

It's Peyton, Not Tom, Who Is NFL's Player of the Decade -- NFL FanHouse

Well, first of all, "unquestioned winners" ??? Maybe if you don't count the post season I guess. I've always viewed winners as guys who finish more often than they don't finish.

But, more importantly, what about this?

Patriots Postgame Quotes - 2/3/2008

One could argue there's never been a more "heart-wrenching, gut-twisting outcome" in anyone's career, EVER. And yet there Tom Brady is, praising the Giants, the team that just crushed the soul of the entire Patriot nation and ruined what would have been the unquestioned best season ever in the history of the league. But hey, it didn't happen 5 days ago so easy enough for the writer to forget right?

If you want to argue stats, fine. I argue rings but that's my personal feeling, But don't try to spin the B.S. that Peyton is more of a leader than Tom Brady, cuz it just doesn't hold water.

And, yes I apologize for posting the 10 billionth Brady v. Manning thread, but this crap article <expletive>'d me off.

Did you consider emailing your response to that NFL fanhouse writer? I liked the way you articulated your thoughts.

Have a feeling that the writer must have been thinking about the way TB didn't want to talk to some reporters after some games this season whereas PM always did.

Last edited:
Yes, interesting.

Stupid point about Manning being classy when he is on the bench steaming the whole time. Not that I blame the guy. It's really scraping the bottom of the barrel to base the player of the decade on a press conference. Seriously.

As to the point about 16-0, I guess I can understand it some. I think the Colts could have done it this season. In 2007, the 16-0 record was not THAT improbable. Many teams have come really close and rested their starters. Bottom line is, there have probably been at least a dozen teams that probably could have done it. But... how many team could outscore their opponents 589-274? That is why that season was so remarkable. This season, the Colts have outscored their opponents 409-277. Their point differential is even less than the Patriots this year. The Saints are considered the most dominating team in the NFL this season, and they stand at 500-318. Breaking this down by average margin of victory:

2007 Patriots: 19.7
2009 Colts: 8.8
2009 Saints: 12.1

This is why it would have been a crying shame if the Colts or Saints had gone 19-0 and grabbed the "best ever" title. The 07 Patriots may have failed to win that title, but at least their claim was completely legitimate and would have been unquestioned.

Also, you might have noticed that the Colts and Saints both a) play in a climate controlled dome, and b) play on the road against southern (warm weather) opponents. The Patriots' margin of domination is even greater considering their cold, windy games later in the year.

Of course he is the classiest. He tries so hard to be a good teammate, as he pointed out in 2005 right before he threw his Oline under the bus.

Both guys set a great example of the league as far as sportsmanship & love of the game goes. Peyton always sends notes to opponents who are retiring, and notes of encouragement to rookies. Brady, imo, has become legendary in his graciousness after both losses and wins.

The game - and we as fans - are lucky to have 'em both, and to be able to watch what will probably end up as easily 2 of the top 5 QB's of all time, in what has become a pretty epic rivalry.

In a nutshell, it's all good...

It's pretty obvious that that's a gossip-y article from a writer without real substance, not to mention that I think that's actually just a fan, not a paid professional.

It's pretty obvious that that's a gossip-y article from a writer without real substance, not to mention that I think that's actually just a fan, not a paid professional.

I love the reasoning the people arguing in the comments use

CHEATS, CHEATS, CHEATS

Or Manning is amazing and has never had a good defense

Or Brady had a baby with a woman and didn't marry her

lol, it's hilarious to watch people with zero football knowledge run amok

At least most of Brady's supporters have more to say than just super bowl rings.

Also, you might have noticed that the Colts and Saints both a) play in a climate controlled dome, and b) play on the road against southern (warm weather) opponents. The Patriots' margin of domination is even greater considering their cold, windy games later in the year.

Great point about the indoor stadiums, I am surprised this has not been presented in the national media.

Secondly, I think the 2007 Pats were better than today's NO or Indy - they ruthlessly dominated the opposition. I also think they benefitted from a pretty "easy" schedule. 16-0 is perfect no matter how you cut it, but playing the Titans, Jags, and Texans twice is much tougher than Buffalo/NYJ/Miami (this year or 2007).

Lastly, I won't say who is the better leader or "winner," but Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time. I hate watching him excel, but besides the rings, TB has very little else over Manning.

Great point about the indoor stadiums, I am surprised this has not been presented in the national media.

Secondly, I think the 2007 Pats were better than today's NO or Indy - they ruthlessly dominated the opposition. I also think they benefitted from a pretty "easy" schedule. 16-0 is perfect no matter how you cut it, but playing the Titans, Jags, and Texans twice is much tougher than Buffalo/NYJ/Miami (this year or 2007).

Lastly, I won't say who is the better leader or "winner," but Peyton Manning is the greatest QB of all time. I hate watching him excel, but besides the rings, TB has very little else over Manning.

Very little else? Brady has a much better TD:INT ratio, basically the same TD%, and plays in much tougher weather conditions. The defenses aren't that far apart if you look at the numbers over the last ten years, and Brady's winning % is much higher. All this, and Brady has played all but two years of his career with receivers that are not elite; Manning has always had 1-2 pro bowl caliber receivers/tight ends. Despite the smoke and mirrors and herky jerks of Manning, Brady's smooth, methodical demeanor has basically earned him the same QB rating despite all of those above factors in Manning's favor.

PLUS Brady is clearly, plainly, and strikingly better when the stakes are highest. Manning's lone Super Bowl run: 3 TDs, 7 INTs. The second worst playoff/SB rating in history for winning QB.

Last edited:
Lastly, I won't say who is the better leader or "winner," but Peyton Manning is the greatest passer of all time. I hate watching him excel, but besides the rings, TB has very little else over Manning.

There's more to being a QB than passing.

Very little else? Brady has a much better TD:INT ratio, basically the same TD%, and plays in much tougher weather conditions. The defenses aren't that far apart if you look at the numbers over the last ten years, and Brady's winning % is much higher. All this, and Brady has played all but two years of his career with receivers that are not elite; Manning has always had 1-2 pro bowl caliber receivers/tight ends. Despite the smoke and mirrors and herky jerks of Manning, Brady's smooth, methodical demeanor has basically earned him the same QB rating despite all of those above factors in Manning's favor.

Plus, as noted above, Brady doesn't play the majority of his games indoors, and when he finally did get good receivers, he not only set the record for TDs in a season, he also set the record for largest TD-INT margin (it wasn't just 50 TDs, it was 50 TDs v. just 8 INTs).

PLUS Brady is clearly, plainly, and strikingly better when the stakes are highest. Manning's lone Super Bowl run: 3 TDs, 7 INTs. The second worst playoff/SB rating in history for winning QB.

Hmmm...if you are bringing real data and objectivity to the conversation then I agree that they are both pretty close...
I must have been letting the commercials sway my opinion.

Last edited:
Of course he is the classiest. He tries so hard to be a good teammate, as he pointed out in 2005 right before he threw his Oline under the bus.

and right before he called Vanderjagt "idiot kicker"

I don't know if I would go as far as to call Brady a classy player. There's been a few instances of him denying handshakes (superbowl Eli) as well as begging for calls on soft plays. I have never seen Ray lewis call out Manning like he has done with Brady even though the Colts have beaten the Ravens several times as of late. Brady is a great quarterback but to praise his character over Manning's is a little ridiculous.

I don't know if I would go as far as to call Brady a classy player. There's been a few instances of him denying handshakes (superbowl Eli) as well as begging for calls on soft plays. I have never seen Ray lewis call out Manning like he has done with Brady even though the Colts have beaten the Ravens several times as of late. Brady is a great quarterback but to praise his character over Manning's is a little ridiculous.

LOL, I guess Ray Lewis is the arbiter of classy in this league.

And if you've never seen Manning lobby for a call, then you've never watched a Colts game.

LOL, I guess Ray Lewis is the arbiter of classy in this league.

And if you've never seen Manning lobby for a call, then you've never watched a Colts game.

Lobbying after not being touched is pretty sad on Brady's part. Manning has a far inferior offensive line than Brady and takes more punishment than Brady. At times Brady literally has like 5 or 6 seconds to throw the ball. Very few QB's have that luxury. Ray Lewis is one of the most feared hitters in football so his opinion on QB toughness and character should be held in high regard. I have never heard him call out Manning like he did Brady even though the colts have beaten the Ravens a lot as of late. I'm not bashing Brady as he's a great QB but let's look at things objectively here.

Last edited:
Tit for tat, eye for eye.. gotcha.. class act, that.

Manning is every bit as classy as Brady. If I'm praising a Patriot it woudl be Bruschi as he woudl shake hands and offer congratulations whether a win or loss (see 2006 AFC championship)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey