PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Pennsylvania Governor livid that the NFL postponed the Eagles game

Status
Not open for further replies.
And no the Pats/Raiders game would not have been postponed because it did not start snowing till almost 5pm that day.

What are you people smoking? Say goodbye to this:

Blizzard-like conditions expected for Patriots-Bears game - Boston Sports | Examiner.com

Chicago Bears, blizzard conditions no obstacles for New England Patriots - ESPN Chicago

"The idea that the weather -- swirling 50 mph wind gusts and steady snow in 20-degree temperatures -- would somehow affect one team or the other was not a theory the Bears would touch and not one that even computes with the Patriots."

Note: It was not in the direct path. This was a coastal event from the get go, with bands affecting interior parts. The farther from the coast, the less affected. You are correct regarding the Pats Raiders game because that weather event was unexpected.

Last edited:
Why don't you let the individual ticket holder decide if it is too dangerous to be out. Some of us still have functioning brains (well, maybe a few of us, then again it is Philly, oh well.)

Because all it would take is one idiot getting into an accident and dying for the ambulance chasing lawyers to be out in droves suing the NFL, the Vikings and the Eagles..

Remember, this is the same country that awarded millions to stupid people who held coffee cups between their legs and got burned by the coffee when the cups let go.. So, now we have warnings on the coffee cups saying that it's HOT.

A football game was cancelled because of less than a foot of snow, 5-7 inches during the game. Yep it's us, we're the crazy ones.

20/20 hindsight is great, isn't it. The fact remains that they were predicting up to 20 inches and much of it falling during the game and today..

Rendell is such a jerk. Of course postponing the game was the right thing to do. You don't put 70,000 fans and their vehicles in the city during a blizzard. It creates a dangerous situation for those same fans and for the crews who need to plow and/or utilize (fire, rescue, police) those streets.

I'm sorry, are you suggesting that it's more important to have all available public works personell, police and other emergency responders attending to the needs of the snowed in citizenry than it is to have them maintaining highway conditions so that people can safely get to and from a football game?

How dare you, sir? How DARE you?

/sarcasm

Sorry, but snow doesn't clear itself off roads, and making a football arena a major priority in a big snow storm just doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure if everyone remembers, but we're still climbing out of a major recession. Our states and cities are all in budget crisises and can't expect any additional federal money any time soon. Philly is going to have a hard enough time as it is maintaining safe streets to and from hospitals, police stations and fire departments, etc. Adding in a football game is just a waste of resources.

As for the NFL's decision setting a precedent -- the only precedent that it sets is that it will defer to the local governments when states of emergency are declared, and this is a no brainer, for reasons of liability. If you want the NFL to let the ticket-holders make their own decisions about whether to try to get to the game or not, then you're going to need to find a way to guarantee that they won't get sued by people forced to either brave conditions deemed unsafe by the local government or lose the value of their tickets.

No big deal either way. Precedent is next to irrelevant; the NFL and TV networks will do what they want to do regardless of precedents.

A high publicity, multi-milliondollar lawsuit might have an affect, especially if he made the mistake of pointing to fan safety as the reason for the cancellation.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, are you suggesting that it's more important to have all available public works personell, police and other emergency responders attending to the needs of the snowed in citizenry than it is to have them maintaining highway conditions so that people can safely get to and from a football game?

How dare you, sir? How DARE you?

/sarcasm

Sorry, but snow doesn't clear itself off roads, and making a football arena a major priority in a big snow storm just doesn't make any sense. I'm not sure if everyone remembers, but we're still climbing out of a major recession. Our states and cities are all in budget crisises and can't expect any additional federal money any time soon. Philly is going to have a hard enough time as it is maintaining safe streets to and from hospitals, police stations and fire departments, etc. Adding in a football game is just a waste of resources.

As for the NFL's decision setting a precedent -- the only precedent that it sets is that it will defer to the local governments when states of emergency are declared, and this is a no brainer, for reasons of liability. If you want the NFL to let the ticket-holders make their own decisions about whether to try to get to the game or not, then you're going to need to find a way to guarantee that they won't get sued by people forced to either brave conditions deemed unsafe by the local government or lose the value of their tickets.

You do realize that you can plow streets while the fans are at the stadium, though, and also that having thousands of cars driving on the same roads mitigates the need to plow those specific roads, right?

Also, the local government reportedly told the NFL that it was the league's call.

Because all it would take is one idiot getting into an accident and dying for the ambulance chasing lawyers to be out in droves suing the NFL, the Vikings and the Eagles.

This decision by the NFL has the potential to open up pandora's box. I'm sure there have been fatalities following bad weather games in the past. However, it wasn't an issue because the NFL never involved itself in the "public safety" racket. This decision (or at least them stating that the decision was made with regard to fan safety) is frankly bizzare.

Last edited:
You do realize that you can plow streets while the fans are at the stadium, though, and also that having thousands of cars driving on the same roads mitigates the need to plow those specific roads, right?

Also, the local government reportedly told the NFL that it was the league's call.

Not true at all. I have been stuck in horrible traffic on 128, during a snow storm. It got worse because no one was moving. I have been to the Linc in Philly and that is a horrible place to get out of after a game.

20/20 hindsight is great, isn't it. The fact remains that they were predicting up to 20 inches and much of it falling during the game and today..

It is great, espicially when proving foresight wrong.

11 inches was predicted for Philly by 1 pm today, you got the forecasted amount wrong even with the benefit of hindsight. How about a link backing your 20 inches forecast for Philly. Bet it exists only in your head.
Map: Total Snow Forecast for Philly area | Philly | 12/26/2010

I would be curious to see how many other businesses closed down for the storm? Personally, where I work it stay open 24/7/365. If we don't show for work we would get talked to about our responsibilities. :rolleyes:

Not true at all. I have been stuck in horrible traffic on 128, during a snow storm. It got worse because no one was moving. I have been to the Linc in Philly and that is a horrible place to get out of after a game.

It is true. It's a physics/chemistry thing.

They were predicting about a foot (which is what we got- more towards the shore)but after last winter and 4 storms of 20 plus inches, we were ready. A more prudent approach would have been to say,
" The Eagles and Vikings are playing the game as scheduled and it will be televised locally. Please stay home in the comfort and safety of your home and watch the game. We don't want anyone to get hurt or stranded due to inclement weather. If you do choose to venture out in these conditions, you do so at your own risk and we can't guarantee that you won't get stuck as municipal workers are stretched through out the city plowing streets and getting roads cleared."

Last edited:
when states of emergency are declared, and this is a no brainer, for reasons of liability.

There was no state of emergency declared in PA.

Imagine how Canadians must be laughing at us.

They were predicting about a foot (which is what we got- more towards the shore)but after last winter and 4 storms of 20 plus inches, we were ready. A more prudent approach would have been to say,
" The Eagles and Vikings are playing the game as scheduled and it will be televised locally. Please stay home in the comfort and safety of your home and watch the game. We don't want anyone to get hurt or stranded due to inclement weather. If you do choose to venture out in these conditions, you do so at your own risk and we can't guarantee that you won't get stuck as municipal workers are stretched through out the city plowing streets and getting roads cleared."

The problem with this is it would require some sort of combination of personal responsibility and common sense. Isn't it a lot easier when someone makes our decisions for us?

The problem with this is it would require some sort of combination of personal responsibility and common sense. Isn't it a lot easier when someone makes our decisions for us?

OMG, tell me your joking!

It is true. It's a physics/chemistry thing.

No. Now tell me how the ice and snow falling gets cleared when cars are moving less than 3 miles an hr. Just look back at any pictures from 78,96,05 during storms that the snow is not clearing with cars driving very slow. Last night on 95 no plows and lots of cars yet the road sucked and was not clear.

No. Now tell me how the ice and snow falling gets cleared when cars are moving less than 3 miles an hr. Just look back at any pictures from 78,96,05 during storms that the snow is not clearing with cars driving very slow. Last night on 95 no plows and lots of cars yet the road sucked and was not clear.

1.) You need to re-read what I'd posted, since you don't seem to have understood it the first time.

2.) and again, this is a matter of physics/chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back