PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Pennsylvania Governor livid that the NFL postponed the Eagles game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the NFL should have postponed that game last night. I am 100% sure they would not have played last night in Foxboro if a game had been scheduled here.

So if there's a blizzard for the Super Bowl in New York, which Goodel campaigned for, will they postpone it?

They didn't cancel the Beanpot (a Hockey tournament between Boston College, BU, Harvard and Northeastern) during the Blizzard of '78 so a few thousand fans got to live in the Boston Garden for 3 or 4 days. Luckily it wasn't a Bruins game vs Montreal, and doubly so since the old Garden was a building, not an outdoor stadium.

They didn't cancel the Beanpot (a Hockey tournament between Boston College, BU, Harvard and Northeastern) during the Blizzard of '78 so a few thousand fans got to live in the Boston Garden for 3 or 4 days. Luckily it wasn't a Bruins game vs Montreal, and doubly so since the old Garden was a building, not an outdoor stadium.

Big difference between playing the Beanpot in a small city like Boston with 4 city schools involved and an NFL game with 70,000 fans coming from all over.

Why don't you let the individual ticket holder decide if it is too dangerous to be out. Some of us still have functioning brains (well, maybe a few of us, then again it is Philly, oh well.)

Rendell is such a jerk. Of course postponing the game was the right thing to do. You don't put 70,000 fans and their vehicles in the city during a blizzard. It creates a dangerous situation for those same fans and for the crews who need to plow and/or utilize (fire, rescue, police) those streets.

Yeah, what he said.

Over the years, with advanced scientific technology, Specter's once scoffed-at "Single Bullet Theory" turns out to be a "Single Bullet Fact".

Well, yes and no. I've seen the more recent documentaries that show how it could very well be true. But when Specter came up with it, they were still using the erroneous data, and for it to be true the bullet had to be doing all sorts of crazy things. You see what I'm saying?

Rendell is such a jerk. Of course postponing the game was the right thing to do. You don't put 70,000 fans and their vehicles in the city during a blizzard. It creates a dangerous situation for those same fans and for the crews who need to plow and/or utilize (fire, rescue, police) those streets.

I agree that the NFL should have postponed that game last night. I am 100% sure they would not have played last night in Foxboro if a game had been scheduled here.

Yeah, what he said.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

For all of you agreeing with Goodussy, will you at least acknowledge that a precedent has been set? Fact: There was a total of 12” of snow in Philadelphia @ 8AM this morning and only about 5” – 7” during what would have been game time. Wouldn't a prediction of 5"-10" of snow with heavy winds also pose a substantial risk? Shouldn’t all future games meeting this scenario be cancelled? Are you aware that this was a nor’easter up the coast; Philadelphia was not in the path of the blizzard? Do you understand the tuck game would have been postponed?

As I previously stated, with this ruling the NFL has placed itself as the arbiter of risk, from now on, as regards public safety. They shouldn't have gotten into this game. Their only concern should have been players’ safety on the field. They set a precedent - what happens during a fan fatality the next time they decide not to postpone an event during similar conditions (say in Green Bay or Minnesota?). They will now have to defend a lawsuit with this decision entered as evidence with some defense attorney undoubtedly trying to use this decision as a litmus test.

Last edited:

For all of you agreeing with Goodussy, will you at least acknowledge that a precedent has been set? Fact: There was a total of 12” of snow in Philadelphia @ 8AM this morning and only about 5” – 7” during what would have been game time. Wouldn't a prediction of 5"-10" of snow with heavy winds also pose a substantial risk? Shouldn’t all future games meeting this scenario be cancelled? Are you aware that this was a nor’easter up the coast; Philadelphia was not in the path of the blizzard? Do you understand the tuck game would have been postponed?

As I previously stated, with this ruling the NFL has placed itself as the arbiter of risk, from now on, as regards public safety. They shouldn't have gotten into this game. Their only concern should have been players’ safety on the field. They set a precedent - what happens during a fan fatality the next time they decide not to postpone an event during similar conditions (say in Green Bay or Minnesota?). They will now have to defend a lawsuit with this decision entered as evidence with some defense attorney undoubtedly trying to use this decision as a litmus test.

How about they require all Northeast and Midwest teams to build domes so they don't get any of that nasty rain or snow. Better yet why don't we just move all the games to San Diego or Hawaii, a perfect 70 -80 degress and sunny almost every day. Maybe San Diego with a dome. They could rename the league Arena League 3. Now that the Pats have clinched homefield advantage, let's hope only for good weather or else Goodell might move the game to an indoor neutral site.

How about they require all Northeast and Midwest teams to build domes so they don't get any of that nasty rain or snow. Better yet why don't we just move all the games to San Diego or Hawaii, a perfect 70 -80 degress and sunny almost every day.

Well that's just it, a dome won't help because the NFL is in the public safety business now. Unless everyone is allowed to sleep over there should be no more football in nasty weather from now on. This commissioner is a azzhole. First the "I'll decide what's a legal hit" crap & now this - the owners need to jettison him ASAP.

Last edited:
Well that's just it, a dome won't help because the NFL is in the public safety business now. Unless everyone is allowed to sleep over there should be no more football in nasty weather from now on. This commissioner is a azzhole. First the "I'll decide what's a legal hit" crap & now this - the owners need to jettison him ASAP.

The governor is absolutely right on this one and it should be his call and his call only. You are absolutely right in the fact that now all games with the slightest hint of bad weather can now be decided on whether or not the game will be played on schedule by this idiot commissioner.

Jesus, you people are starting to make Bill Polian look sane. :rolleyes2:

...This commissioner is a azzhole...

Covers pretty much everything, I think.
thcoffee.gif

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever heard a politician intelligently comment on anything sports-related. It always seems to bite them in the butt.

At the risk of getting slightly political, I distrust pretty much anything that any politician says, but *especially* where sports are concerned. That's where they seem to be worst about shamelessly pandering to whatever sentiment they think will make them more likable.

Yes it was in the path. And no the Pats/Raiders game would not have been postponed because it did not start snowing till almost 5pm that day. I am just trying to figure out why people are so mad about this game. All my friends I have in the Philly area said they are glad they postponed the game.

Last edited:
Yes it was in the path. And no the Pats/Raiders game would not have been postponed because it did not start snowing till almost 5pm that day.

Goodell cancelled the game based on the anticipated amount so in theory he very well could have.

Agree. If there's one silver lining here, maybe the owners finally agree with us fans.

At the risk of getting slightly political, I distrust pretty much anything that any politician says, but *especially* where sports are concerned. That's where they seem to be worst about shamelessly pandering to whatever sentiment they think will make them more likable.

This has nothing to do with a politician and everyything to do with the precedent set by the NFL. In this case the politician is just echoing the sentiments of most sane folks (at least as history and tradition goes).

Last edited:
No big deal either way. Precedent is next to irrelevant; the NFL and TV networks will do what they want to do regardless of precedents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down