PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT Patriots Highlights 1997-1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score

good to reminisce about the "old days"

These late 90s teams was loaded with offensive talent.

Watch Terry Glenn's highlights 0:20-1:40. He had world class speed. That catch at 0:44 against Green Bay was one of the best I have ever seen. Dare I say the most talented WR besides moss over the past 20 years in the patriots franchise?

When you have Shawn Jefferson and a prime Troy brown as your number 2 and 3 options, you know you're stacked on offense.

Some fan taped a lot of the MNF game from 98 against the Dolphins from the stands. I think this was the one where the offense ignored Pete Carroll's call for a timeout and made the 4th down conversion LOL.

Bledsoe with the game winning strike to Jefferson!

Some fan taped a lot of the MNF game from 98 against the Dolphins from the stands. I think this was the one where the offense ignored Pete Carroll's call for a timeout and made the 4th down conversion LOL.

That looks like it couldve been filmed from my old section! I was in 223 from 92 until the new stadium! I'm sure I was beyond hammered for this game...was this Monday Night? If so we probably started drinking at 3:30 back then! :eek::oops:

It's a pivotal play in my book.

In SO many ways, Bledsoe and others built a rediculously strong foundation for what Belichick put together himself.

Bledsoe taking charge here and ignoring his coach was both the right move in terms of making the play, but it was also the beginning of the end for Carroll - i.e. it was the start of the Belichick era brought to you by Drew Bledsoe!

These highlights truly are a treat and those teams had some ridiculous talent at times!

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I had forgotten what a good Pats defense looked like...

GREAT playcall on that Hogan pass. Good job by HOgan to get the pass off too

Those blue home colors are my favorites. Remove the metrosexual Elvis, and add a red & blue-trimmed Pat Patriot helmet, and the perfect New England Patriots Team Uniform would be created.

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I had forgotten what a good Pats defense looked like...

1997 Pats Points Allowed: 18.1
2016 Pats Points Allowed. 17.9

You overrate that defense. They were slightly above average.

1997 Pats Points Allowed: 18.1
2016 Pats Points Allowed. 17.9

You overrate that defense. They were slightly above average.

How many players from 1997 would you take over the current starters. There are many.

How many players from 1997 would you take over the current starters. There are many.

Curtis Martin
Terry Glenn
Bruce Armstrong
Willie McGinest (though this was early injured approaching bust territory McGinest)
Tedy Bruschi
Ted Johnson
Ty Law
Lawyer Milloy

So, 8 guys for me.

Ben Coates
Ty Law
Curtis Martin
Bruce Armstrong
Willie Clay
Tedy Bruschi

Just because you have better starters doesnt mean you have a better defense.

That 1997 team was a horrible defense in the clutch. Horrible. The Monday night disasters vs GB, DEN, Pitt and freaking Ray Lucas QBing the Jets to a win in Foxboro was awful. That team was so frustrating.

McGinest was hurt most of the year so not him.

I guess Slade over 2016 edge defender but he did not play as well under Carroll as he did for Tuna.

Of course I would take Law over Malcolm but Ty hadn't hit his prime yet.

Willie Clay was not as good off a cover guy as DMC.

Milloy was good but not in his prime yet but I would take him over Chung or Duron Harmon.

I'd keep Hightower over Ted Johnson. Maybe keep Todd Collins (always liked him)

Id keep the 2016 DTs over 1997.

They were good but not a great defense. Undisciplined. Drove me nuts.

Last edited:
Some nice memories and some new ones; 1998 was the first season I really got to watch the Pats on the regular after moving to Atlantic Canada from Virginia. Cool to see some of the 1997 highlights too.

Derrick Cullors...there's a dude who just disappeared. I never knew what happened to him.

Troy Brown...hell yeah. One of my all time favorites.

And Drew really could sling that football around.

I really didn't like Pete Carroll as a coach. I used to think he failed to take the talent and do anything useful with it. That timeout and then some sort of off-field incident with Bledsoe told me he lost the team. Weird thing is I remember thinking the Pats had peaked with the SB appearance, and we were on our way back down.

If the Pats had a healthy team in the playoffs they would have beat the Steelers that year. Other than an early fluke TD they held them to 0 points for the rest of the game. I think Martin and Coates were both out. If they are healthy that Pats team wins and who knows where they go after that. At least Carrol would have a playoff win under his belt and possibly stayed on longer as head coach. One of the most frustrating losses I can remember.

Some nice memories and some new ones; 1998 was the first season I really got to watch the Pats on the regular after moving to Atlantic Canada from Virginia. Cool to see some of the 1997 highlights too.

Derrick Cullors...there's a dude who just disappeared. I never knew what happened to him.

Troy Brown...hell yeah. One of my all time favorites.

And Drew really could sling that football around.

I really didn't like Pete Carroll as a coach. I used to think he failed to take the talent and do anything useful with it. That timeout and then some sort of off-field incident with Bledsoe told me he lost the team. Weird thing is I remember thinking the Pats had peaked with the SB appearance, and we were on our way back down.

Techni-Cullors is a personal trainer in Dallas.

If the Pats had a healthy team in the playoffs they would have beat the Steelers that year. Other than an early fluke TD they held them to 0 points for the rest of the game. I think Martin and Coates were both out. If they are healthy that Pats team wins and who knows where they go after that. At least Carrol would have a playoff win under his belt and possibly stayed on longer as head coach. One of the most frustrating losses I can remember.

Martin was out with the abdominal injury and Coats had a really bad hip issue and didn't do squat in the game.

Pats played hard that game. Vrabes sacked Drew to ice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back