OT: Owens fined $10,000 for towel waving on sidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Sorry-bored-but thought you guys might find this funny:

MICHAEL MULVEY / DMN
The No Fun League came down hard on T.O., fining him $10,000 for waving his Touchdown Towel during the rout of the Eagles.

You might think T.O. has 10,000 fewer reasons to live now, but I prefer to think of the fine as an investment. After all, 10 grand won't buy an ad that will generate this kind of publicity.

T.O. informed reporters yesterday that the towels were selling well on his Web site. By my calculations, the Orginal 81 needs to sell 1,431 towels to break even, which should be no sweat.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 3:16 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (4)

Was it blatant towel waving?? Is that NOT suppose to happen?? I saw Brackett waving a towel in the Colts...shouldn't he be fined?? Wait..it's the Colts with the haloes....nah...THAT will never happen...

As much as I dislike TO, that's a pretty lame reason for a fine.

Ridiculous.

Not a TO fan but come on that's awful. Another case of Godell trying to be the all mighty. He's trying to make his mark and by trying to hard he's falling far short of Rosell and Tagliabue, closer to Bud Selig.

They should fine the Steelers for the terrible towel waving next.

Was it blatant towel waving?? Is that NOT suppose to happen?? I saw Brackett waving a towel in the Colts...shouldn't he be fined?? Wait..it's the Colts with the haloes....nah...THAT will never happen...

It isn't the towel itself, but the fact that it isn't NFL-licensed. Remember Urlacher and the VitaminWater hat? I actually agree with this one. Let him waive a Nike towel (or whoever the official towel provider for the NFL is) if that gets him off.

If you don't draw the line somewhere, players will look like they are having a yard sale during games and will look like Nascar drivers during press conferences.

He was advertising something on the sideline. He wasn't just waving a random towel.

I hope this was about a blatant disregard of using NFL air time to do marketing.

Otherwise, it seems lame.

I really hope it's about marketing. I have no problem with stopping people from marketing during an NFL broadcast or event, but somebody should at least make it clear that this is what the fine is about.

Doesn't the fine just bring up more publicity on the special towels? I didn't even know he was marketing his own towel when he did it.

Don't go picking on the Indianapolis Haloes. Lightning, fire and pestilence will find you.

Gotta do it, alas, otherwise every player will start showing up on the sidelines in an "Eat at Joe's" sandwich board.

That said, I'm starting to wonder exactly which charities receive the NFL fine money. They should light a candle to St. Goodell.

It isn't the towel itself, but the fact that it isn't NFL-licensed. Remember Urlacher and the VitaminWater hat? I actually agree with this one. Let him waive a Nike towel (or whoever the official towel provider for the NFL is) if that gets him off.

If you don't draw the line somewhere, players will look like they are having a yard sale during games and will look like Nascar drivers during press conferences.
So he was fined for waving the wrong towel....NOT the fact that he was waving A towel...is that it????

So he was fined for waving the wrong towel....NOT the fact that he was waving A towel...is that it????

No. He was fined for hawking a product during an NFL game that is not from an NFL sponsor. The NFL gets huge sums of cash from sponsors and that money would be in jeopardy if players/coaches cut their own side deals (or pimped their own stuff).

TO wasn't waving a towel...he was selling product on national TV for free. This has absolutely nothing to do with the NFL being "no fun".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes