PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ortiz Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been following baseball a long time. That team had potential, but it was highly flawed - especially within the pitching staff. None of the starters would be more than #3 on the 1994 Expos or 2004 Red Sox. The relievers were unreliable and shaky. The lineup had potential, but too many younger players who are a few years away from being ready for playoff ball. They were a good group. But only good. To expect anything more than what happened is a bit much. "Would have been nice" is all that could be expected.
Agreed. They exceeded my expectations for this year. Getting swept by Francona and Cleveland was pretty anti-climactic, but coming back from last place a year ago and winning the AL East pennant was a good way to go out for Papi. Besides, I feel like it is the Cubs year this year which would be pretty cool to see too.

Did I say he was?

Are you answering the question?

Other than both of them being clutch in the postseason, I don't think it's an appropriate analogy. Ortiz has been the best player at his position throughout his career. Eli's never been the best QB in the league, even during those championship years (07' and 11').

Other than both of them being clutch in the postseason, I don't think it's an appropriate analogy. Ortiz has been the best player at his position throughout his career. Eli's never been the best QB in the league, even during those championship years (07' and 11').

Great strawman. Are you answering my question? Its a legit analogy

As much as I like Ortiz he isnt even in the top 5 greatest Boston athletes.

in terms of importance? There's no other Red Sox who's done more in the last 15 years than he has.

No Ortiz...no three World Series titles

Put Ted Williams on the Yankees and he would have had 10 rings like Yogi Berra did. The Red Sox ownership in the 40s and 50s was absolutely terrible. They were incapable of supporting Ted with a decent team. They didn't want to spend any money, they didn't want to integrate even long after Jackie Robinson. What's sad is that the only time he did make the world series, in 1946, he was league MVP but was injured late in the year.

Remember, playing in the postseason back then meant that you were the top team in your league. There was no playoffs, only world series. If a rival won 100 games and you won 99, you sat at home.

Look at Ted's numbers: Ted Williams Statistics and History | Baseball-Reference.com

He's in the discussion with Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb as he best all-around hitter EVER.

Papi is arguably the most important Red Sox player, the winningest Red Sox player, the most beloved Red Sox player, the most clutch Red Sox player, the greatest Red Sox postseason performer, and second only to the greatest hitter who ever lived as the BEST Red Sox player.

Last edited:
in terms of importance? There's no other Red Sox who's done more in the last 15 years than he has.

No Ortiz...no three World Series titles

You now have 3 strawmen going. Congratualtions. I am not sure if I have ever seen that.

Why are you being such a douche today?
Why are you being so disrespectful and elusive? I asked you a straightfoward question and you twisted my words and changed the topic twice.

Last edited:
Beezball ... Bankofamericasox ... Big Poopy ... o_O

As a casual baseball fan, I appreciate you sharing this with me. It's just hard attributing more greatness to someone who never won a single championship, over someone who won several.

I hear you. Baseball is just different as its so individualistic. Football on the other hand is team, team, team which is why numbers, while helpful in understanding how special a player is are less of a factor to determine as such. Thats what Brady and Montana blow Manning, Marino, etc out of the water.

You can certainly say Ted Williams was a better all-around baseball player, but that Ortiz was ultimately more important to the franchise. I think that'd be hard to dispute

When you take a moment to process that statement, its pretty incredible.

You can say that Ted Williams had more of an impact on the game of baseball, the approach to hitting and it's history but Ortiz had more of an impact on the success of the Boston Red Sox.

Red Sox baseball was dead. when Ted left the game, almost and up until the Yaz years. There was no one that could replace Ted in Boston. No one. Until David hit the stage. This man transformed baseball in New England, more than Ted ever did.

Yawkey created the bullpen for Ted, Ortiz created the Monster Seats!

My dad loved Ted, saw him back in ****ing late 40's. As well as the Pat's in the 60's.

There are two guys that hold a special place in his heart: Tom Brady and David Ortiz.

Larry Bird is mine, and mine alone. However, as there will be only one Bobby Orr, there will only be one David Ortiz!

and there is only one cam Neely and one Pedro

and...

There is no such thing as one Cam Neely. Not when it's compared to either Pedro or Ortiz.
There was another Neely, his name was Zhada, or Bergeron, Thomas. Remember, the guys that actually won for the Bruins?
I loved Cam, however, he did make better commercials and movies than the previous savior, Roger Clemens ever did.
Remember Ray Bourque? We had a parade for him. Neeley, not so much.

scout: 4765899 said:
Ted Williams was the greatest hitter in baseball history.

In the modern era, this really can't be debated. Maybe Stan Musial or Willie Mays enters the discussion for a few minutes.

Red Sox baseball was dead. when Ted left the game, almost and up until the Yaz years. There was no one that could replace Ted in Boston. No one. Until David hit the stage. This man transformed baseball in New England, more than Ted ever did.

Yawkey created the bullpen for Ted, Ortiz created the Monster Seats!

My dad loved Ted, saw him back in ****ing late 40's. As well as the Pat's in the 60's.

There are two guys that hold a special place in his heart: Tom Brady and David Ortiz.

Larry Bird is mine, and mine alone. However, as there will be only one Bobby Orr, there will only be one David Ortiz!
Larry is mine. He just moved in last week.

Nope, he's mine, and mine alone.

I have three jerseys, that I cherish;

A Larry, and a Magic ( from 1979)

A Tom.

A Grogan for my sons.

My Dad saw Ted play, and he saw the Pats play at Harvard, Fenway, and that **** field down in Foxboro.

Carl was Carl, before Larry was Larry, and there was such a thing known as The Spaceman!

Forgive us our youth, but our Red Sox hero, will forever be David Ortiz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes