PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Ortiz Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great career, Great Red Sox. GoAT post-season Sox player in history....but if I hear one more person say he was the GoAT Red Sox ever I will lose my ****.

OK, if we leave off Ted Williams and everyone before him, do you still lose your ****?

You can argue Williams was the GoAT Red Sox player. You can argue that Yaz had the greatest season ever as he and Lonborg carried a last place team to game 7 of the World Series. But David Ortiz was able to what they could not do, win a World Series. And do it again and again..
David Ortiz did what had never been done in MLB before, take a team done three games to none and win a series, better that it exorcise do the demons of generations of Red Sox fans by doing it to the Yankees a year after they most recently had broken our hearts......
The mantle is big enough for Ted, Carl, David and Cy, Babe and other old time greats who also won the WS.

OK, if we leave off Ted Williams and everyone before him, do you still lose your ****?

Hes behind Williams. I'm not hung up on if a player needs to play a defensive position.

Ted was arguably the greatest hitter who ever lived. Putting Papi at #2 is no insult!

Sox got swept yesterday. Sad to see Big Papi's last game come in the form of a playoff loss. Legends like him deserve to end their careers on a better note. He registered some of the best numbers of his career, in what may be MLB's finest farewell season.

I don't want to see what just happen to Ortiz, happen to Brady. If and when Brady decides to retire, I hope he can leave with 5 rings instead of 4. I hope he can win at least one more Super Bowl, before hanging up his cleats.
Screw 5! I want Brady to win 6 Superbowls before he hangs up his legendary cleats!

Ted was arguably the greatest hitter who ever lived. Putting Papi at #2 is no insult!

All due respect to Ted, but I can't understand how someone who never won a title can be better than someone who was absolutely crucial to winning 3 World Series Championships(!)

2004 ALCS games 4 and 5 were just so insanely clutch. And he kept on delivering. Once in a lifetime type player if you live in any other city.

View attachment 14458
Amazing clutch hitter. The world series against the Cardinals when he reached base 19 out of 25 times and batted .688 was unbelievable.

All due respect to Ted, but I can't understand how someone who never won a title can be better than someone who was absolutely crucial to winning 3 World Series Championships(!)

So that is Ted's fault?

I've met him a couple of times - he gave me a signed bat.

Great guy, life of any party, just as he wants to be. He really does love life like no one I've ever seen.

Do championships matter to you?

The only reason this is a discussion is because of Ortiz's post-season production.

To say great baseball players who weren't lucky enough to win championships are not as good as players with lesser numbers doesn't make sense. That is like saying Hank Aaron or Willie Mays is not as good as Micky Mantle.

Keep in mind, the time was different. They didn't have wild cards then. They didn't have divisions then. Ted also played smack dab during on of the greatest dynasty stretches in sports history as the NYY won 14 pennants in like 18 or so years Ted was active. Ted also missed about 5 full seasons and the team was dreadful w/o him. During that stretch the Sox won 89+ games 6 times and by the time the mid 50s rolled around Yawkey was swimming in debt so Ted had zero chance to be on a winner.

With all that said, I believe baseball is an individual sport and Ted's numbers are superior to Ortiz's.

Williams also took 3 years of his absolute prime years from baseball to fly combat missions for the Marines. He flew 39 combat missions where any one of them he could have been shot down and killed.

He was also a superior defensive player playing left field for the Sox for 21 years with over 1700 complete games in the outfield.

His offensive numbers speak for themselves.

The only posters putting Ortiz over Williams are the young kids who need someone to be their GOAT Sox player of all time because they diddnt see Williams and dont have the correct perspective.

Last edited:
The only reason this is a discussion is because of Ortiz's post-season production.

To say great baseball players who weren't lucky enough to win championships are not as good as players with lesser numbers doesn't make sense. That is like saying Hank Aaron or Willie Mays is not as good as Micky Mantle.

Keep in mind, the time was different. They didn't have wild cards then. They didn't have divisions then. Ted also played smack dab during on of the greatest dynasty stretches in sports history as the NYY won 14 pennants in like 18 or so years Ted was active. Ted also missed about 5 full seasons and the team was dreadful w/o him. During that stretch the Sox won 89+ games 6 times and by the time the mid 50s rolled around Yawkey was swimming in debt so Ted had zero chance to be on a winner.

With all that said, I believe baseball is an individual sport and Ted's numbers are superior to Ortiz's.
Sorry all due respect to Ted but Papi passed him with his WS performance a few years ago.

The Yankees were every bit as much a juggernaut when we beat them in 04 they had won 5 and narrowly missed out on 6 then Papi's walk off changed everything.

Ted's missed time was extremely noble but he missed that time it shouldn't serve as a ya but because while it was some of his prime he still wasn't playing.

As a casual baseball fan, I appreciate you sharing this with me. It's just hard attributing more greatness to someone who never won a single championship, over someone who won several.

You can certainly say Ted Williams was a better all-around baseball player, but that Ortiz was ultimately more important to the franchise. I think that'd be hard to dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes