PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:NYPost blasts ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have iTunes, both WEEI and 98.5 are available. Also, the radio.com and Yahoo Radio apps both carry 98.5. WEEI has their own app with available streaming.

Weei online radio player:

WEEI - 850AM

98.5 online radio player:

Radio.com

WFAN online radio player, for when WEEI and 98.5 are both sucking (which happens quite a bit, unfortunately, and more since WEEI stupidly changed its lineup). It's NY radio, but you can sometimes hear good sports talk and good interviews:

Radio.com

Thanks for the suggestions.
GO PATS!!!

i absolutly loath espn. i only watch that sh!t station when i have to. [monday night football when the pats are involved ect ect] chris berman may you rot in hell with your back back back mumbling bumbling stumbling he could go all the way bullsh!t. i dont even like tedy as much as i used to. i had so hoped he would go the local route for his analyzing career.

i absolutly loath espn. i only watch that sh!t station when i have to. [monday night football when the pats are involved ect ect] chris berman may you rot in hell with your back back back mumbling bumbling stumbling he could go all the way bullsh!t. i dont even like tedy as much as i used to. i had so hoped he would go the local route for his analyzing career.

Says the guy who called Moss nuts. ;)

NYPost blasts ESPN.....holy intergalactic hypocrisy, Fatman!!!

Pretty ****ty of ESPN to sell on the tragedy (tying in a tornado with Alabama/Auburn) but the Mickey Mouse Network is far from the only one that capitalizes on tragedy in the media these days. FOX milks the hell out of human interest stories during sports events.

Last edited:
ESPN is the lazy sports fans way to get their sports fix ... it's entertainment of some sort - not a sort that I prefer and I do not watch unless it's a game or I will watch their news channel where you get the post game interviews.

You got my vote for post of the year.

Watching (blank) on tv is the lazy man's way to get their fix of (insert previous blank) might be the smartest thing I have ever heard.

To quote Chad F'ing wow

Some of you sound like ESPN raped your children or something.

I never watch the channels outside of MNF or another sporting event that they happen to televise. I don't feel like I'm missing anything, nor does anything 'they' say bother me... because I don't watch it.

No one is forcing you to.

so then you don't read print, either...I'm surmising...because if you did, a ton of what they say on air makes it to print...so, let me guess...YOU are a grown up bubble boy???

ESPN is the lazy sports fans way to get their sports fix ... it's entertainment of some sort - not a sort that I prefer and I do not watch unless it's a game or I will watch their news channel where you get the post game interviews.
You bring up a good point that many overlook. High level quality analysis may be what sports nuts that spend hours on the internet and message boards crave, but that is not their niche.

They are a division of a Fortune 500 company that answers to their stockholders and Wall Street, and that means catering to the masses, not die hards: puff pieces, superficial analysis that lasts no longer than sixty seconds, attention grabbing sound bites and highlight plays; that is the formula that has worked so well for them in attracting a mass audience and total number of viewers.

I'm actually surprised they made the investment to do the 30-for-30 series, which was very good in my opinion. Until proven otherwise, sadly crap like Around The Horn and Pardon The Interruption draws more interest than a serious X's and O's analysis.

Last edited:
very excellent analysis...

that means catering to the masses, not die hards: puff pieces, superficial analysis that lasts no longer than sixty seconds, attention grabbing sound bites and highlight plays; that is the formula that has worked so well for them in attracting a mass audience

their brain trust immediately saw what kind of legs the Spygate incident had...and the rest is history...of course, the damage to a segment of their viewing demographic, the New England sports area, was weighed and dismissed in favor of over kill.... 30 second innuendo, unnamed "sources","NFL insiders" and contrived "shock" at each new "revelation".

The masses wanted to know the why and how and ESPN jumped in with both feet, guns blazing. Who can forget Schlereth with his diagrams in the background, explaining in detail the inner workings of the Patriot "scheme"....how they took the video, and then rushed the video to a remote viewing room where it was dissected, and then that information was relayed back down to the field giving Belichick advance notice of the next play. I WATCHED this damnable idiot sit there with a straight face and explain HOW this was what was done...and ESPN ran with it until someone from the NE sports media confronted them with the facts that proved Schlereth's "explanation" was pure ,unadulterated bullcrap with ZERO credibility in any real time sense. I mean, any 6th grade physics student could have debunked his horsecrap in a few minutes using simple physics and time study.

So, what did ESPN do??? Well. first, neither they nor Schlereth ever admitted that the segment they ran was preposterous and totally idiotic...no...they simply moved on to ANOTHER way to appeal to the now country wide Spygate audience with tales of "walkthrough against the Rams taped!!!", "cameraman Walsh to reveal all!!" and ten second sound bytes with the Joey Porters of the league declaring "I knew there was something funky going on,man!!!!!"...yeah...what was going on was ESPN's numbers went off the charts with each week's "new details!!!!" furiously building as the Patriots were in the middle of an historic 16-0 run...culminating in the denouement of the 2007 Super Bowl.

It is no wonder that the NFL's numbers were never higher in its history than it was at that particular time. I suspect the Goodell's reticence to end all the nonsense was bolstered when the bean counters showed him the league numbers and how the fanbases were scope locked on him and the handling of this ridiculous tempest in a tea pot. It's an easy business decision to make....who cares about the tempest when you can ride the wind on a category five hurricane...which is exactly what happened...and through it all, ESPN played the Weather Channel Storm Edition.

This is why TODAY, THE biggest get in the business is anything related to the Jets and the Patriots especially in tandem with each other. It's as if ESPN has branded this particular segment of their reporting, sparing no hyperbole, innuendo or hearsay.

Last edited:
Not that ESPN doesn't deserve it, but where does the NY Post get off calling anyone else out?

thanks for all the recommendations, to be frank though i believe NFLN is as bad as ESPN when it comes to quality esp. ppl like Jamie dukes

I like mike mayock on NFL network tho.....his assessments/analysis are non-biased and spot on.

that means catering to the masses, not die hards: puff pieces, superficial analysis that lasts no longer than sixty seconds, attention grabbing sound bites and highlight plays; that is the formula that has worked so well for them in attracting a mass audience

This is why TODAY, THE biggest get in the business is anything related to the Jets and the Patriots especially in tandem with each other. It's as if ESPN has branded this particular segment of their reporting, sparing no hyperbole, innuendo or hearsay.

truly spoken (written perhaps ...) 2007 was tough to endure as a pats fan as 9 out of 10 we encountered were people who fall for sensational journalism (?!!) and it was a living hell to try to get your point across ala you f****** can do this anywhere sitting on a side line stands with a decent camcorder. sigh ... :ugh:

why wall street has to poke its nose in to everything. They are like an inferno, anything they touch turns to ashes . we need to do something about this legalized gambling called wall street. OK OK I'm digressing now..;)

Last edited:
I admittedly just jumped in and posted, but has anyone brought up the ridiculousness of The Post calling out anyone?

Edited to add: Yes, a couple of people did. *phew*

Last edited:
I don't think there's much wrong with admitting to watching MNF every week, esp. since that ignorant, anti-NE blowhard Cornholio no longer infects its airwaves. Jaws & Gruden are usually quite good, though sometimes a bit prone to hyperbole (they are employees of FESPN, after all), and Tirico calls a good game.

As for the rest of the 4-letter network - fuhgeddaboudit. And I haven't listened to its radio network for the last 5 years, either.

their brain trust immediately saw what kind of legs the Spygate incident had...and the rest is history...of course, the damage to a segment of their viewing demographic, the New England sports area, was weighed and dismissed in favor of over kill.... 30 second innuendo, unnamed "sources","NFL insiders" and contrived "shock" at each new "revelation".

The masses wanted to know the why and how and ESPN jumped in with both feet, guns blazing. Who can forget Schlereth with his diagrams in the background, explaining in detail the inner workings of the Patriot "scheme"....how they took the video, and then rushed the video to a remote viewing room where it was dissected, and then that information was relayed back down to the field giving Belichick advance notice of the next play. I WATCHED this damnable idiot sit there with a straight face and explain HOW this was what was done...and ESPN ran with it until someone from the NE sports media confronted them with the facts that proved Schlereth's "explanation" was pure ,unadulterated bullcrap with ZERO credibility in any real time sense. I mean, any 6th grade physics student could have debunked his horsecrap in a few minutes using simple physics and time study.

So, what did ESPN do??? Well. first, neither they nor Schlereth ever admitted that the segment they ran was preposterous and totally idiotic...no...they simply moved on to ANOTHER way to appeal to the now country wide Spygate audience with tales of "walkthrough against the Rams taped!!!", "cameraman Walsh to reveal all!!" and ten second sound bytes with the Joey Porters of the league declaring "I knew there was something funky going on,man!!!!!"...yeah...what was going on was ESPN's numbers went off the charts with each week's "new details!!!!" furiously building as the Patriots were in the middle of an historic 16-0 run...culminating in the denouement of the 2007 Super Bowl.

It is no wonder that the NFL's numbers were never higher in its history than it was at that particular time. I suspect the Goodell's reticence to end all the nonsense was bolstered when the bean counters showed him the league numbers and how the fanbases were scope locked on him and the handling of this ridiculous tempest in a tea pot. It's an easy business decision to make....who cares about the tempest when you can ride the wind on a category five hurricane...which is exactly what happened...and through it all, ESPN played the Weather Channel Storm Edition.

Just about says it all. I, also, vividly remember watching that Schlereth BS and feeling both outraged and powerless to do anything. Like others, I concluded that my only real recourse was to stop watching that f@#$%^& network as much as possible, which I have done.

I'm quickly starting to realize NFLN is no better, complete with misleading stories, idiot former players (Faulk, Dukes), women who have no right being in front of a HD camera (Kara H), the same 1/2 hour show repeated over and over and now as a special treat they're doing the same assigned point/counterpoint BS that I hate about ESPN, except now they're featuring this smug little ignorant ahole.

78601332_crop_340x234.jpg

i have seen that a lot of people on this board say that they have stopped watching espn. i have a question for them.Where do you guys get your sports news from (on the tv)?:confused:
even though i hate espn i cant help but watch ESPNEWS once every 2-3 hours to get the latest news and highlights

Who watches TV for sports news?
There's this new internet thingie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes