Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: NY Times Profits Drop 82%

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Rob0729, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -1

Ok, I know most people hate Tomase and the Herald or ESPN for the Spygate stuff, but I actually hate the NY Times far more than both those two combined. Tomase did write a bogus rumor as fact, but I never thought he did it maliciously just stupidily. The Times were the ones who started this whole thing and brought the name Matt Walsh to the national lexicon. They have also been the most vigilent in their crusuade to get Belichick and the Patriots while being Arlene Specter's mouth piece and PR firm.

Although I do feel bad for the workers at the Times who will suffer for their financial down turn. I do love that their vendetta against the Patriots along with sleazy stories about John McCain and others (no matter what you think about McCain's politics, their innuendos about a secret affair without any proof deserved to be in the National Enquirer, not a legitimate newspaper) has done nothing to help their skid.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0887d6aa-58da-11dd-a093-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  2. Jackson 2

Jackson 2 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -7

#12 Jersey

My guess is that your hatred for the NY Times originated long before Spygate, Walsh or Tomase and that it originally had abslolutely nothing to do with football at all. The Times humiliated itself with its Spygate coverage and its treatment of the McCain situation, but not nearly as much as rags such as the Herald did with their promotion of John Kerry being "swift-boated" by intentional lies.
  3. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The times nor the Heralds problems are from the content in their papers. Newspaper is dying, because of the web. You can get your news on demand, and its free. Infact, boston.com is growing like crazy, while the globe is losing ground by the day.

No one under the age of 45 ( aside from some randoms) reads the paper these days.
  4. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

None of that matters, the internet is the reason newspaper is dying..... The medium was in trouble long before the things you are talking about.
  5. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

+1

Now this thread should be obliterated for political content.
  6. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +181 / 4 / -5

Not obliterated, just sent to its proper home.
  7. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -1

Well, my guess is that you are an idiot. Why the hell are you bringing politics into this? For the record, I am definitely no McCain fan. I will probably vote for Obama for President. I voted for Kerry eventhough I hate the guy. I am an independent by the purest sense of the word since I vote for both Republicans and Democrats.

I just found it disgusting that they would try to portray gossip rag innuendos about a Presidential Candidate as news. The Times' John McCain story was infamous and blasted by both Republicans and Democrats as low class sleaze. I am just calling a spade a spade and not being political. The McCain story was a huge example of sleazy horrible journalism that was the most discussed newsprint article written in the last few years for shoddy journalism.

The Swift Boat stuff no matter whether you believed it or not was actual news. When an organization accuses a Presidential candidate of falsifying their war record, it is news. Rumors and innuendos of a sexual affair of any public figure without hard evidence is not and is gossip rag fodder.

And thank you for screwing up this thread by turning it into a political discussion.
  8. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -1

I don't think it should be obliterated or sent away from the proper board because my intent for this thread had nothing to do with politics. Just because one idiot with an agenda ruined it, that post should be removed not the entire thread. Considering the Times were the worst attackers of the Patriots, this thread is a much news as the Herald story of their finanical problems a few months ago was on this board.
  9. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Pssst, Robo, the fact that NYT's profit is down 82% means they STILL have a profit.

The Herald is actually LOSING money.

Just a little ECON 101 for ya.
  10. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +89 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

I think that the internet, has waaay more to do with all these papers losing profits, than their obvious liberal bias.
  11. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -1

So an 82% drop in profits is actually a gain and good thing? Good to know! I don't know if you are married or not, but how would your wife or husband react if you came home and announced that you had a pay cut and 82% of your disgressionary money is going to be cut? Would you guys go out to the Ritz for a weekend celebration for the news? I mean you aren't going into debt, you will just have less play money. Isn't that outstanding news?

Last time I checked if a company's profits drops 82%, it is a bad thing. They also had a 16.2% drop in ad revenues. I never said the Times is suffering the same financial problems the Herald is, just that their financial woes brought out cheers of the haters of Tomase and the Boston Herald.
  12. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -1

I never said that any of their biases is the reason they are losing money. The newspaper industry is a dying industry. They just posted a lot of sensational damaging stories about the Patriots to drum up national exposure since they were the ones who started Spygate 2, got Tomase and ESPN to write their inflamatory pieces, got Specter all riled up and acted as his mouth piece, wrote sensational articles about nothing (like the breaking news that an unnamed player, either Bledsoe, Michael Bishop, or Damon Huard telling them the Patriots used a videotape in the preseason to help in the first real game of the Belichick era), etc. to gain more national exposure. It had absolutely no effect.

The Times are going to suffer anyway, but it is good to see that they are experiencing sharp declines eventhough they desperately tried to use Spygate to gain national exposure. They were the worst offenders of it.

A liberal agenda in NYC is actually a positive when it comes to newspaper sales. I don't think that is the reason they are losing business at all.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Welcome to the political forum everybody! Please take a look around and post freely.

;)
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +115 / 7 / -10

Well the Gray Lady is supposed to be the leading newspaper in the country the Herald is a local tabloid...
  15. shmessy

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Robo, Robo, Robo.......discretionary money (or as you put it "disgressionary" money) is exactly what the word means. It means above and beyond necessary budgeted-to-survive money. Profit is icing on the cake. You can survive very well with a small profit (although getting "rich" from a small profit is subjective and depends on many factors).

The Herald has NO profit and is losing money. Need I explain to you the difference?

I wouldn't tread where the water is deep regarding financial terms if I were you, Robo. You're flailing and sinking.
  16. shmessy

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Yes, and the NYT has a profit while the Herald has a loss.

Big deal.

Anyhow, whether a newspaper has financial strength is neither here nor there when it comes to it's journalistic value. The supermarket tabloids tend to outsell everything else with their UFO Sightings by Lesbian Nun headlines - - does that make them paragons of enlightenment?
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Have you ever run a business? When your profits drop 82%, and your field is pretty straight forward (selling newspapers), you don't just hit the panic button, you smash it with a sledge hammer. I think we all understand what Robo's point was. The Times' ship is taking on some serious water, and he's happy about it.
  18. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -1

Flailing and sinking? For an imaginary argument that you created in your head? I guess I am not a financial master because I guess I don't see that a 82% drop in profits is spectacular news. I guess I am not a financial master because I incorrectly (well apparently in your mind, but nowhere else) compared the Times' finances to the Herald.

So you are right. I am wrong. I incorrectly argued that the Herald and Times are in the same financial situation eventhough in the real world I never actually argued that ever. In your mind, I did incorrectly say that having a small profit is the same thing as a loss.

Maybe you should less concerned about my financial accument and more about your reading comprehension.

BTW, the Times are a public company and if the stock holders see their dividends suffering and the stock starts to tumble (it is already been dropped to half the price it was this time last year), trust me that the Times will make cuts as if they were losing money to get the profits up.
  19. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +436 / 5 / -1

Exactly. Yes, they are profitable, but the profitable isn't going to appease their stockholders if their profits are free fall. Their ad revenues are down over 16%.

I'm sorry, but a sharp drop in profits and revenues are a concern for a company. It is a serious issue. I don't get why shmessy doesn't get that. In fact, depending on the circumstances around it, a sharp drop in profits but still profitable may be more concerning than a company with a loss at least for their long term outlook.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

Newspapers all across the country are in trouble, years ago the newspaper was all we had and we believed everything they told us, now we have all kinds of other outlets, especially "Internet".

In a newspaper you only get what they want to tell you and they slant their storys to fit their agenda and their views, the Ny Times is notorious for doing this, face it, they are Far Left Wing news source, all of America now realizes this.

Now we have the Internet, Cable News, Talk Radio and the Bloggers telling us all the little things the NY Times trys to hide from us, that is why the NY Times is slowly DYING.

:bricks: